PDA

View Full Version : Three boot choices

Jim Lynch
09-04-2014, 17:25
trying to choose between these three; any thoughts?
Asolo Drifter
Salomon Quest 4D GTX
Lowa Renegade GTX

HooKooDooKu
09-04-2014, 17:35
Which fits YOUR foot best?

I currently wear the Salomon Quest 4D GTX and love it. Its gotten a lot of good reviews from places like REI.

I seem to recall trying on the Asolo Drifter, and really wanted it because at the time, I could have gotten it for less than the Salomon Quest. But the Quest was a better fit for my foot.

Gambit McCrae
09-04-2014, 17:42
All three are brands. True story, i walked the soles off a pair of sundowners, the last run that they made in italy. When i wore them out i thought, if the Vasques were great boots then lets up the antie and i bought a pair of asolo power matic 2000's. Quite a pricy boot. Horrible fit, slowed me down, blisters, tight ankles. So then i went to wearing Keen sandals walkin 20 mile days which resulted in arch fractures. Now i am walkin in a lightweight salomon 125$ pair of trekkers and its the perfect fir :) listen to your feet

Spirit Walker
09-04-2014, 20:37
Lowa Renegades are good for wide feet. They aren't as durable as they used to be though.

RangerZ
09-04-2014, 21:54
Lowa Renegades are good for wide feet. They aren't as durable as they used to be though.

I agree about them being good for wide feet. The felt great right out of the box.

I'm on my second pair, after 900+ miles the first pair suffered some upper/lower separation near my right small toe. +1 to REI - when I took them back the guy was ready to give me an immediate credit but I told him I wanted another pair. I've got about 600 miles on the second pair so far.

Other threads have talked about goretex boots and sweaty feet - and its true with regards to the Lowas. But I really do like the boots.

misterfloyd
09-05-2014, 16:56
I have never understood why more companies do not make wide footwear?! I know of Merrell and Lowa. Wish keeen would get the hint....

+1 Lowa Renegade. I have really learned to hate gortex however. On thier site they do make the same boot with a leather inside. Wonder if this would be better. You pay 225 for a boot, it ought to last longer than 900 miles however.

Floyd

ChuckT
09-05-2014, 20:20
Mister Floyd most in-expensive footware is made in countries where the "last" (the footshape that the shoe is modeled for) is not that well matched to a western (US) foot.
As to wide shoes I offer this:
My Keens fit my feet, wide at the toe and narrow at the heel but my biggest complaint is that I could not get them without Goretex. The liner make my feet sweat more. And cool dry feet prevent blisters.

Jim Lynch
09-05-2014, 21:24
I don't think you can get any boots without Goretex anymore. I'm sort of ambivalent about it.

misterfloyd
09-06-2014, 10:56
Chuck T,

I love keens and they are known for being wider in the toe box. If they would make a wide I buy ywo pairs off the shelf.

I have a small bunion and to combat this I need wide. On my last pair you can see where the bump on the shoe.

I have never tried merrell out in a hike but some come without waterproofing, some keens as well.

I'm really never been a fan of Gore-tex. works a couple of times and thats it. more trouble than they are worth.