PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July!

Angie J Romans
09-04-2014, 19:10
Heyas I was wondering if anyone had good spots to spend their 4th of July during their thru-hike?! I was just up in Hamburg, Pa near Peace Rock and was told some people had been in that area or like Pulpit Rock for their 4th of July....silly question but I love fireworks :P

Tuckahoe
09-04-2014, 20:24
The end of June and early July seemed to have quite a few thru-hikers streaming through Harpers Ferry. If you're so inclined, from there you can get an early morning MARC train ($11) or the 11:45am Amtrak Capital Limited ($12) to DC. In DC the Hostelling International at the corner of 11th St NS and K St. is a pretty good place to stay.

Harpers Ferry has concerts and $1 hot dog lunch.

Boonsboro has an event as well with fireworks.

johnnybgood
09-04-2014, 21:34
The Independance Day fireworks display on the National Mall in D.C. are worthy of a zero day if you want spectacular.
I would take the Amtrak train at Harpers Ferry to Union Station and then take the Metro underground train, locate the escalators to the platform ,(think its the red line...not sure) , to the National Mall subway station.

Angie J Romans
09-05-2014, 19:14
Thank you for the suggestions :) Though I wasn't actually thinking of going into town. More like, finding a nice scenic look over town perhaps, but I'll keep those suggestions in mind while planning. Thank you :)

overthinker
09-14-2014, 10:20
The Independance Day fireworks display on the National Mall in D.C. are worthy of a zero day if you want spectacular.
I would take the Amtrak train at Harpers Ferry to Union Station and then take the Metro underground train, locate the escalators to the platform ,(think its the red line...not sure) , to the National Mall subway station.

Almost right. Amtrak/MARC to Union Station, Red Line metro from there down to the Mall. There is no specific stop for the Mall, however, and I think they close the only one right on the Mall (Smithsonian) for the 4th. But hey, we walk for fun, right? You can walk to the Mall from Union Station in like half an hour - Union Station is really close to the Capitol building, so you'll be at that end. Or, take the Metro to Gallery Place or Metro Center, it's only a few blocks from either of those stations.

If you plan to stay at the Hosteling International that Tuckahoe64 mentioned, get off at Gallery Place and walk the couple of blocks over.