PDA

View Full Version : Your top 5 Hiker Journals 2014

BonBon
09-04-2014, 19:12
My favorites were Left Turn, Affirm, Flinch, Slim, and Red Robin. Also followed Carmen San Diego for a while but she left to hike another trail. All of my original picks are finishing! (Except Carmen)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

he.who.forgets
09-04-2014, 21:49
I've enjoyed Left Turn and Affirm as well. The others I've followed are Reset, Gandalf, and Frankenstein. Congrats to both Reset and Gandalf as they have both already completed their NOBO thrus and best of luck to the others the rest of the way.

jjozgrunt
09-05-2014, 05:16
I followed Slim, Left Turn, Frankenstein and Affirm. No favorites as they all had different views on the trail which is what I was after.

BonBon
09-05-2014, 06:36
Yeah, maybe favorites is the wrong word. I chose those to follow, now they are done or in the homestretch. I want to read a few more after these guys finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
09-05-2014, 07:09
I agree about Left Turn. Very upbeat. You can tell this woman enjoys life. :)

mainelydave
09-05-2014, 08:29
Affirm
Reset
Right Here

hikernutcasey
09-05-2014, 10:48
Reset - Just a wonderful positive outlook on even the worst of situations
Left Turn - As others have said very positive as well

Not on trailjournals but good blogs were:

Wired - she completed her triple crown
Texaco (2180miles.com) - If I could only recommend one this would be it. Best journal I've read and lots of good pics too.

slbirdnerd
09-05-2014, 10:55
Springside, Reset, Flossie and Gray Squirrel, Carmen (still watching her updates from the Camino), A Bear (In the woods), and Road Warrior.

QHShowoman
09-05-2014, 11:19
This one is beautifully done, IMHO:

http://www.wheresthenextshelter.com/

Captain Bluebird
09-05-2014, 11:40
I have been following Will Wood's video journal on Youtube. Will goes by Redbeard but just search under Will Wood. He is currently in the Whites and is planning on an equipment review when finished. I have started with others but find Will to be well grounded and very enjoying along the AT.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

hikernutcasey
09-05-2014, 13:19
This one is beautifully done, IMHO:

http://www.wheresthenextshelter.com/No way! I did a section in the Roan Highlands in June and ran into Green Giant and his group when they did their "epic" night hike over Roan. I went to bed and they were all there and when I woke up they were gone. I caught them the next evening at Over Mountain shelter and found out what they had done. I had no idea he was doing a blog. Nice to know he's still on the trail. I was thinking to myself when I saw them that they would have to haul tail to finish before Baxter closed.

RED-DOG
09-05-2014, 13:21
The hiker journals i am following.
1 Wingnut.
2 Not Worthy.
3 Road Warrior
4 Data.
5 High-5 and Iceman Dan ( Southbound ).

The PCT.
1 Monkey Wrench.
2 Coke Man.
3 Gotta Walk.
4 Acorn the Elder.
5 String cheese.
Oringinally i was following different people but they started early and finished early, so i had to change up a little bit.

RED-DOG
09-05-2014, 13:25
No way! I did a section in the Roan Highlands in June and ran into Green Giant and his group when they did their "epic" night hike over Roan. I went to bed and they were all there and when I woke up they were gone. I caught them the next evening at Over Mountain shelter and found out what they had done. I had no idea he was doing a blog. Nice to know he's still on the trail. I was thinking to myself when I saw them that they would have to haul tail to finish before Baxter closed.
What's SO EPIC about hiking across roan at night, on my 2006 thru me and two others went from cherry gap to Apple House shelter ( when apple house still existed ) AT NIGHT, we left at 8:00 pm and arrived at apple house at 7:00 am.

hikernutcasey
09-05-2014, 13:30
What's SO EPIC about hiking across roan at night, on my 2006 thru me and two others went from cherry gap to Apple House shelter ( when apple house still existed ) AT NIGHT, we left at 8:00 pm and arrived at apple house at 7:00 am.Short answer, nothing. Long answer, it was a reference to the description Green Giant labeled his and his buddies adventures that particular night I encountered them.

MikeN
09-05-2014, 22:20
These are my AT favorites. NOBOs: 1) Affirm (20-something guy, great attitude, great sense of humor); 2) Sisu (http://jfetig.com/) (retired army officer, good writer, good attitude, finished 2014 thru already, last journal entry has link to a nice video he made of his hike);

SOBOs: 3) Forrest (retired guy, long-time hiker, nice clean writer); 4) Spinoza (philosophy prof taking time off to thru-hike the AT, interesting point of view); 5) Padre (20-something guy, on 2nd thru hike, lives in yurt in Maine woods when not hiking).

Affirmative
07-01-2016, 22:07
Hello all. Affirm (AT 2014) here. Thanks for the following and recommendations! I'm currently thru hiking the PCT this year. Except I was trail named Long Haul for this trail. It's weird because there's plenty of people out here who I met in 2014 that know me as Affirm but trail names are whatever people know you by in one sense... so please bear with the confusion.

For this trail journal I'm trying to be slightly more organized. Still everything is first/2nd draft as whatever got written down at the end of the day. If you'd like to check it out, here it is!

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=534443

So far it's not nearly as popular but that's okay. It can be a little too vulgar, obscene, and offensive at times. If that's exactly your cup of tea don't have your expectations too high/low. I can be all over the place. Happy Trails

garmachi
07-15-2016, 10:21
What's SO EPIC about hiking across roan at night, on my 2006 thru me and two others went from cherry gap to Apple House shelter ( when apple house still existed ) AT NIGHT, we left at 8:00 pm and arrived at apple house at 7:00 am.

It was the first day that any of us had hiked 20 miles. We were so excited that after dinner we (foolishly) decided to keep going. We didn't cross Roan at night, we climbed up to it. Starting around 10 PM at (I forget the name of the shelter, something like 15 or 17 miles south of Carver's Gap). By 11 PM we were regretting our decision because it started to rain. By 2PM we were leaning into the wind, soaked, shivering and somehow simultaneously miserable and ecstatic. Things didn't improve weatherwise, and by 4 or so we found the parking lot at Carvers and hunkered down in the bathrooms there. We all felt pretty silly sleeping in stalls, but after a brief nap, the weather broke and the sun began to throw hints at us that it actually still existed and might even visit soon.

When we finally made it to the balds, the sun was just coming up. The storm had been reduced to a spooky fog of sparkling mist that just hung in the still air. The rhododendrons were blooming, so we were surrounded by millions of purple flowers and as the clouds broke, the first rays of sun cast tiny rainbows in the mist that surrounded us. We climbed all night, a mile high and our reward was a dazzling display of bright flowers and shimmering prisms.

We finally reached Overmountain shelter around noon that day. The sky had cleared and we had the whole place to ourselves. Having only just gotten our trail legs, we were exhausted. We had hiked 37 miles all at once. Sure, greater distances have been done by others and with ease, but for each of us that day it was a new limit. None of us had ever done that before and the rewards were so satisfying, that I look back on it still as one of my favorite parts of the whole thing.