PDA

View Full Version : pico de gallo

rocketsocks
09-04-2014, 19:38
figured I'd see how this de and re hydrates...love salsa

here's what I did...

6 Roma tomatoes, blanch in hot water for about 30 seconds, place in cold water, then peel remove seeds and dice.

1/2 a small white onion, de-flamed by placing in small bowl of cold water for about ten minutes, then diced, de-flaming really takes some of the bite out but leaves a nice flavor.

1 jalapeno pepper de-veined, seeded, and diced.

1/2 a lime squeezed for the juice only

several sprigs of cilantro coarsely chopped, really makes this dish taste fresh and bright!

one "good pinch" of salt

In Mexican cuisine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_cuisine), pico de gallo (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈpiko ðe ˈɣaʎo] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_Spanish), literally rooster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooster)'s beak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beak)), also called salsa fresca, is a fresh, uncooked salad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salad) made from chopped tomato (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato), onion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onion), coriander leaves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander#Leaves), fresh serranos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serrano_pepper) (but jalapeños (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalape%C3%B1o) or habaneros (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habanero)too), salt, and lime (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_lime) juice.In Mexico it is sometimes called salsa mexicana (Mexican sauce). Because the colors of the red tomato, white onion, coriander and green chili are reminiscent of the colors of the Mexican flag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Mexico)

6 Roma tomatoes, blanch in hot water for about 30 seconds, place in cold water, then peel remove seeds and dice.

1/2 a small white onion, de-flamed by placing in small bowl of cold water for about ten minutes, then diced, de-flaming really takes some of the bite out but leaves a nice flavor.

1 jalapeno pepper de-veined, seeded, and diced.

1/2 a lime squeezed for the juice only

several sprigs of cilantro coarsely chopped, really makes this dish taste fresh and bright!

one "good pinch" of salt

July
09-04-2014, 20:05
I could eat pico with just bout' anything, one of my favorites. Only addition that I add that you did not mention is avacado. I not sure the avocado would dry and work on trail though. Maybe pick up a couple of fresh ones in town and add to the rehydrated... Yep!

rocketsocks
09-04-2014, 22:01
I could eat pico with just bout' anything, one of my favorites. Only addition that I add that you did not mention is avacado. I not sure the avocado would dry and work on trail though. Maybe pick up a couple of fresh ones in town and add to the rehydrated... Yep!
Was wondering the same about Avocado because of the oil content, this actually came up a couple years ago If I recall and someone posted they have a powdered form of avocado. might have to revisit that idea.

July
09-04-2014, 22:16
Was wondering the same about Avocado because of the oil content, this actually came up a couple years ago If I recall and someone posted they have a powdered form of avocado. might have to revisit that idea.
Yep, the powder is available. I always carry fresh onion, ginger, and garlic (min). Kicks supper to the next level. Depends on the hike, if available, some fresh chopped avocado into the rehydrated pico is gonna give that fresh chunky goodness texture. I'm startin' to jones for some pico :)

rocketsocks
09-04-2014, 22:21
Yep, the powder is available. I always carry fresh onion, ginger, and garlic (min). Kicks supper to the next level. Depends on the hike, if available, some fresh chopped avocado into the rehydrated pico is gonna give that fresh chunky goodness texture. I'm startin' to jones for some pico :)My Nephew grew a bunch of things this year...just got some roma tomatoes, and some jalapenos from his garden...bless his heart. hope he doesn't mis em. :eek:;):D

July
09-05-2014, 22:54
I'm thinkin' my next dehydrate trays will be chicken fajitas mix... Tortilla, mix, pico, fresh avacado's... Trail Mex :-? Might even do some night hikin'

July
09-06-2014, 00:15
I'm thinkin' my next dehydrate trays will be chicken fajitas mix... Tortilla, mix, pico, fresh avacado's... Trail Mex :-? Might even do some night hikin'

Oh yeah..and SRIRACHA!

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 00:22
Oh yeah..and SRIRACHA!

Ay Caramba!

July
09-06-2014, 00:49
Ay Caramba!

And...,.... maybe dehy salsa verde? Maybe the 850 pot needs to be accompanied by a enamel covered cowboy plate, gots to have rice too :D

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 01:01
And...,.... maybe dehy salsa verde? Maybe the 850 pot needs to be accompanied by a enamel covered cowboy plate, gots to have rice too :D
...just picked up some tomatillos today for verde...love Texmex.

July
09-06-2014, 03:20
Heirloom maters,green/yel/red peppers, leatherbritches, new taters, hoed fresh. Corn on th cob... Fresh pan Cornbread. And ramen,...:)

July
09-06-2014, 03:35
and...,....,... siracha. This addition contained within a modest container, adds such depth.. and inspiration to daily food plans...:)

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 10:21
and...,....,... siracha. This addition contained within a modest container, adds such depth.. and inspiration to daily food plans...:)
just cause were in the woods don't mean we can't eat like kings...Nice!

...whats heatherbritches?

July
09-06-2014, 10:31
just cause were in the woods don't mean we can't eat like kings...Nice!

...whats heatherbritches?

Leatherbritches simply refers to a method of "drying" fresh greenbeans from the garden. I guess a long time ago before people used canning methods, they would take the greenbeans and string them on a thread, or lay them on a screen in the sun, etc... to "dry" them. I still do this to this day with a portion of beans we grow. When "dried" just put in freezer. They cook up great!

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 18:21
Leatherbritches simply refers to a method of "drying" fresh greenbeans from the garden. I guess a long time ago before people used canning methods, they would take the greenbeans and string them on a thread, or lay them on a screen in the sun, etc... to "dry" them. I still do this to this day with a portion of beans we grow. When "dried" just put in freezer. They cook up great!Nothin' like fresh green beans in the winter...or corn, we've blanched and froze some in the past, great for when the Jersey sweet corn comes in and you can get it cheap.

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 18:22
Nothin' like fresh green beans in the winter...or corn, we've blanched and froze some in the past, great for when the Jersey sweet corn comes in and you can get it cheap.
"Silver Queen" that is, goot stuffs!

July
09-06-2014, 21:58
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1906109]"Silver Queen" that is, goot stuffs![/QUOTE

You Bet! Every year put many bags of Freezer Corn up... Today dehyrated a couple trays of pico, turned out very tasty. Rehydrate with cold H20. Seems the cilantro lost a little flavor, if I were near town I would pick up fresh cilantro and avocado to add on trail...

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 22:05
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1906109]"Silver Queen" that is, goot stuffs![/QUOTE

You Bet! Every year put many bags of Freezer Corn up... Today dehyrated a couple trays of pico, turned out very tasty. Rehydrate with cold H20. Seems the cilantro lost a little flavor, if I were near town I would pick up fresh cilantro and avocado to add on trail...I used hot water to rehydrate mine, and agree, pico needs to be served cold, and even bringing a few springs of calantro that were several days old would be a better idea than dehydrating them...it just didn't have that the same Pop. But hey, not so great pico is better than no pico. Pretty happy with it actually, and it will likely become a staple...now what to do about the chips?

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 22:14
...and hey, I'd post a picture...but we ate it all. :D It went pretty quick. Will make some more. :)

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 22:21
Another observation about doing this is

...it really wouldn't be a big deal to bring a couple tomatoes, green chilis, onion, lime, cilantro on the trail weight wise and just make it fresh, but in this instance I think doing it dehydrated is more for the convenience of not having to do all the cutting and messiness on the trail, and that's the appeal for me with this dish. Add water, Done! Bon apatite folks :)

July
09-06-2014, 22:22
[QUOTE=July;1906142]I used hot water to rehydrate mine, and agree, pico needs to be served cold, and even bringing a few springs of calantro that were several days old would be a better idea than dehydrating them...it just didn't have that the same Pop. But hey, not so great pico is better than no pico. Pretty happy with it actually, and it will likely become a staple...now what to do about the chips?

I think totillas toasted over fire coals, just wait until flames/ fire goes out, then toast over hot bed. After long day on trail, your tongue will be trying to beat your brains out, to get to tortilla chips and pico.!

Odd Man Out
09-06-2014, 22:25
I put diced green and banana peppers in mine, mainly because I got lots of peppers in the garden this year. For some reason, my banana peppers are really spicy this year, so I leave out the other hot peppers. I have a bunch of little tiny hot peppers in the garden that are so hot I can't eat them (at least not much).

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 22:33
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1906144]

I think totillas toasted over fire coals, just wait until flames/ fire goes out, then toast over hot bed. After long day on trail, your tongue will be trying to beat your brains out, to get to tortilla chips and pico.!Perfect! great idea July, that's the ticket.

I put diced green and banana peppers in mine, mainly because I got lots of peppers in the garden this year. For some reason, my banana peppers are really spicy this year, so I leave out the other hot peppers. I have a bunch of little tiny hot peppers in the garden that are so hot I can't eat them (at least not much).
Next time, (or if making it for myself), I'd leave the seeds and veins in the peppers, and also add more, but my wife and chilren aren't real big on spicy so this round was pretty tame.

rocketsocks
09-08-2014, 22:25
So here you can see the reconstituted (R) side by side with the fresh stuff (L) while the fresh is way better, I'm quite pleased with the way it came out.

July
09-08-2014, 22:30
So here you can see the reconstituted (R) side by side with the fresh stuff (L) while the fresh is way better, I'm quite pleased with the way it came out.

How much for the quarter bag?:) Of pico....

July
09-08-2014, 22:36

Socks, the dried looks more "puffy" then when I dry this. Do you take it all the way to "brittle".? Can't tell from the pic.

rocketsocks
09-08-2014, 22:38
How much for the quarter bag?:) Of pico....
fer you...free

funny I went over my sisters and held it up with the four finger spayed behind for measurin' purposes and asked...

"Wanna by some Salsa" she laughed. :D

rocketsocks
09-08-2014, 22:39
Socks, the dried looks more "puffy" then when I dry this. Do you take it all the way to "brittle".? Can't tell from the pic.
The tomatoes this time were a little leathery so they probably could have gone a little longer...good catch.

July
09-09-2014, 00:16
The tomatoes this time were a little leathery so they probably could have gone a little longer...good catch.

I hear You, excessive Rainfall "feeds" crops and explodes cells membranes. Sun, cloud, rules... Did I mention, ALDHA,...

rocketsocks
09-09-2014, 01:42
I hear You, excessive Rainfall "feeds" crops and explodes cells membranes. Sun, cloud, rules... Did I mention, ALDHA,...
ah, like thick summer rings on a tree in the cross section...and no, I don't believe you did mention ALDHA, but maybe you didn't.

July
09-09-2014, 06:42
ah, like thick summer rings on a tree in the cross section...and no, I don't believe you did mention ALDHA, but maybe you didn't.

Subliminal advertising....:)...

rocketsocks
09-09-2014, 06:54
Subliminal advertising....:)...
Like flashing a one frame picture of the concession stand with sodie pop and pop corn at the movie theater...purty slick. ;)

tiptoe
09-09-2014, 09:42
Last night I whipped up a tomatillo sauce (yes, the garden was good to me this season) from a nyt recipe (http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1015763/oven-steamed-cod-or-mahi-mahi-in-green-tomatillo-salsa.html ), and it was yummy. I made just enough to serve two, but a large batch would probably dehydrate well.

rocketsocks
09-09-2014, 22:07
Last night I whipped up a tomatillo sauce (yes, the garden was good to me this season) from a nyt recipe (http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1015763/oven-steamed-cod-or-mahi-mahi-in-green-tomatillo-salsa.html ), and it was yummy. I made just enough to serve two, but a large batch would probably dehydrate well.
hmm, grapeseed or sunflower seed, that sounds good. Yeah I need to quadruple my batches...it just doesn't hang around long.

July
09-09-2014, 22:58
I have to say that with the "yield" from a garden, storage options need to be ironed out. Can/freeze/dehydrate. Fresh don't last long. So to this effect, I find myself doing large Batches. All is OK until comprising Recipes for aforementioned. Test with small batch and when it Hit's the spot, you got a keeper.

rocketsocks
09-10-2014, 00:17
I have to say that with the "yield" from a garden, storage options need to be ironed out. Can/freeze/dehydrate. Fresh don't last long. So to this effect, I find myself doing large Batches. All is OK until comprising Recipes for aforementioned. Test with small batch and when it Hit's the spot, you got a keeper.
Canning is on my bucket list of things to learn. With the addition of olive oil, garlic and oregano, pico de gallo is the equivalent of the Italians Bruschetta (http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=bruschetta&v_t=comsearch)

July
09-10-2014, 00:37
Canning is on my bucket list of things to learn. With the addition of olive oil, garlic and oregano, pico de gallo is the equivalent of the Italians Bruschetta (http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=bruschetta&v_t=comsearch)

Although somewhat antiquated in our modern times, I still enjoy canning. Not much food today is found in glass jar, I digress, Fresh Real Food. It's a process:) When ta snow's fly'in , your lips will be smack'in...

July
09-12-2014, 19:15
Another observation about doing this is

...it really wouldn't be a big deal to bring a couple tomatoes, green chilis, onion, lime, cilantro on the trail weight wise and just make it fresh, but in this instance I think doing it dehydrated is more for the convenience of not having to do all the cutting and messiness on the trail, and that's the appeal for me with this dish. Add water, Done! Bon apatite folks :)

Yep, bout' all I wish to cut at the end of the day usually add onion, garlic, ginger to my fb meals, depending on meal. Carry a small cutting board that fits inside my pot cozy lid. Found a new hot sauce am going to carry some of called "Datil Hot Sauce". Even if prepared "hot" at home, sometimes I still want that extra "splash" :eek: :D

rocketsocks
09-12-2014, 20:30
Yep, bout' all I wish to cut at the end of the day usually add onion, garlic, ginger to my fb meals, depending on meal. Carry a small cutting board that fits inside my pot cozy lid. Found a new hot sauce am going to carry some of called "Datil Hot Sauce". Even if prepared "hot" at home, sometimes I still want that extra "splash" :eek: :D
Oh yeah, nothin' like a splash a hot sauce. Believe it or not I'm likin' taco bells atomic hot sauce, it has a pretty good taste and not overly vinagary. But tobaso has always been a ole stand by in my fridge...so many brands to try these days, so little barittos eatin'

July
09-12-2014, 20:48
Oh yeah, nothin' like a splash a hot sauce. Believe it or not I'm likin' taco bells atomic hot sauce, it has a pretty good taste and not overly vinagary. But tobaso has always been a ole stand by in my fridge...so many brands to try these days, so little barittos eatin'

Taco bell packs do rock the meal. Heres tha deal, chicken fajita, pico dehydrated. Bag with couple 2-3 Tbsp of dehydrated sour cream powder, {butter bud optional}, and after rolled, hot sauce for each bite. D.....am...

rocketsocks
09-12-2014, 20:56
Taco bell packs do rock the meal. Heres tha deal, chicken fajita, pico dehydrated. Bag with couple 2-3 Tbsp of dehydrated sour cream powder, {butter bud optional}, and after rolled, hot sauce for each bite. D.....am...
Ah man, and here I am thinkin' I'm the only one in the world who puts a squirt on every bite...my man! Takes at least 4 packets to get through a small burrito.

July
09-12-2014, 21:28
Ah man, and here I am thinkin' I'm the only one in the world who puts a squirt on every bite...my man! Takes at least 4 packets to get through a small burrito.

Sounds bout' right, I've noticed people either love, or really don;t care for "hot" food. Have seen hikers go through a large bottle of Sriracha every 4-5 days... Typically if you are resupplying town to town, food resupply can be somewhat bland, and the 'hots' kicks it up. It is a luxury to have your home prepared/controlled meals while hiking, but also great to eat anything and everything you come across....

July
09-12-2014, 21:35
Sounds bout' right, I've noticed people either love, or really don;t care for "hot" food. Have seen hikers go through a large bottle of Sriracha every 4-5 days... Typically if you are resupplying town to town, food resupply can be somewhat bland, and the 'hots' kicks it up. It is a luxury to have your home prepared/controlled meals while hiking, but also great to eat anything and everything you come across....

For example, while in Ga. we came across boiled peanuts... who wudda thunk? :)

rocketsocks
09-13-2014, 00:28
For example, while in Ga. we came across boiled peanuts... who wudda thunk? :)First time I ever had boiled peanuts was at a road side stand near Dalonega after doin' some gold pannin'...didn't find a bloody thing.

July
09-24-2014, 22:18
First time I ever had boiled peanuts was at a road side stand near Dalonega after doin' some gold pannin'...didn't find a bloody thing.
Well, ... maybe the Cherokee control the Creek...

rocketsocks
09-24-2014, 22:34
Well, ... maybe the Cherokee control the Creek...
Naw, they sent them packin' years ago...shame. Trail of tears.

July
09-24-2014, 22:43
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1910528]Naw, they sent them packin' years ago...shame. Trail of tears.[/QUOT
Socks walk softly thru this neck of the woods. We have Fed Rangers that are Cherokee.

rocketsocks
09-24-2014, 22:52
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1910528]Naw, they sent them packin' years ago...shame. Trail of tears.[/QUOT
Socks walk softly thru this neck of the woods. We have Fed Rangers that are Cherokee.
Yep, the fella that laid me on to a few places to go was a GA Geologist. Met him at a local Micky Dee's, bought him lunch and he drew me a map on the back of a napkin, but he gave me the low down on the area and said...don't get to far off into the woods, stay by the creeks.

July
09-24-2014, 23:08
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1910532][QUOTE=July;1910530]
Yep, the fella that laid me on to a few places to go was a GA Geologist. Met him at a local Micky Dee's, bought him lunch and he drew me a map on the back of a napkin, but he gave me the low down on the area and said...don't get to far off into the woods, stay by the creeks.[/QUOT
How can you Not get off into the woods in the Smokies?:-) I would suggest a road trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway into Oconaluftee...

rocketsocks
09-24-2014, 23:16
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1910532][QUOTE=July;1910530]
Yep, the fella that laid me on to a few places to go was a GA Geologist. Met him at a local Micky Dee's, bought him lunch and he drew me a map on the back of a napkin, but he gave me the low down on the area and said...don't get to far off into the woods, stay by the creeks.[/QUOT
How can you Not get off into the woods in the Smokies?:-) I would suggest a road trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway into Oconaluftee...
one day, it's on my very short list and growing of places to hike before I.....depart.

July
09-25-2014, 16:32
If you do choose to travel some on the Parkway, it is pretty awesome the entire distance. Nearer the the Smokies be sure to check out Mt. Pisgah and Mt Mitchell. Both good places to camp.

July
09-25-2014, 22:20
If you do choose to travel some on the Parkway, it is pretty awesome the entire distance. Nearer the the Smokies be sure to check out Mt. Pisgah and Mt Mitchell. Both good places to camp.

Or... Visit Ashville, NC. Some killer, Black Mtn also. Nice Motorcycles in tha Mtns.

rocketsocks
09-26-2014, 06:09
Or... Visit Ashville, NC. Some killer, Black Mtn also. Nice Motorcycles in tha Mtns.
Sounds real nice...in Jersey you take your life in your hands riding a bike around here, were not known for very courteous drivers...more curt than courteous really, and yet many people ride here.

July
09-30-2014, 20:34
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1910897]Sounds real nice...in Jersey you take your life in your hands riding a bike around here, were not known for very courteous drivers...more curt than courteous really, and yet many people ride here.[/QUOTE/]

If you have never roadtripped the Blue Ridge Parkway/ or Shenendoah, def worth the effort. PICO Update: just harvested jalapenos, romas, green bells, onions from the garden (last of the year). I feel a Fresh batch comin' on :banana :D

rocketsocks
09-30-2014, 21:52
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1910897]Sounds real nice...in Jersey you take your life in your hands riding a bike around here, were not known for very courteous drivers...more curt than courteous really, and yet many people ride here.[/QUOTE/]

If you have never roadtripped the Blue Ridge Parkway/ or Shenendoah, def worth the effort. PICO Update: just harvested jalapenos, romas, green bells, onions from the garden (last of the year). I feel a Fresh batch comin' on :banana :D
I just salivated on my keyboard :p

July
09-30-2014, 22:19
[QUOTE=July;1912101]
I just salivated on my keyboard :p

Sounds like my Great Pryenees, who drooled all over his chestbeard while watching me pull everything off the vine :) Funny thing is, he don't even like maters.... I think it was the jalps. Old boy likes his spicy kibble :D

rocketsocks
09-30-2014, 22:55
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1912127]

Sounds like my Great Pryenees, who drooled all over his chestbeard while watching me pull everything off the vine :) Funny thing is, he don't even like maters.... I think it was the jalps. Old boy likes his spicy kibble :Dnuttin' like home grown toe maters

July
09-30-2014, 23:08
[QUOTE=July;1912135]nuttin' like home grown toe maters

Even though the season was wet, had a pretty good yield. Romas and cherry always, main biggies are the heirlooms, this year Mr Stripey, Cherokee Purple, Big Rainbow, Brandywine, Beefsteak and Yellow Pear. Talk about some good dehy. salsa, Can some and freeze some use as needed :)