PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the $20 pack able down vest from Costco??

saltysack
09-04-2014, 19:45
Looking for cheap light weight packable down vest for my jack Russell for sleeping bag...wemon or men's look like good buy at $20.00...curious if any tried out yet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
09-04-2014, 20:47
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/04/c6b6f239ec337af2b76b318d318a856f.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/04/928a0aa19ac8eacc233ee9306318a8b9.jpg

Mags
09-04-2014, 21:05
I have one and so does the wife.

She uses hers for town use and likes it quite a bit.

I used mine a fair amount this past summer (July and early August) for in camp and when I did not want to take the full-on puffy.

For the price, it works well.

10-K
09-04-2014, 21:11
CostCo is French for "Buy it when you see it because it'll be gone when you come back." :)

10-K
09-04-2014, 21:13
BTW, this company has gotten some good reviews on BackpackingLight:

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/men/outerwear/ultra-light-down.html

saltysack
09-04-2014, 21:22
CostCo is French for "Buy it when you see it because it'll be gone when you come back." :)

Haaa.. True

saltysack
09-04-2014, 21:24
I have one and so does the wife.

She uses hers for town use and likes it quite a bit.

I used mine a fair amount this past summer (July and early August) for in camp and when I did not want to take the full-on puffy.

For the price, it works well.

How warm is it? Thinking about making a a sleeping bag for my hiking buddy ... Lil jack Russell...tired of sharing my bag...

Mags
09-04-2014, 22:11
BTW, this company has gotten some good reviews on BackpackingLight:

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/men/outerwear/ultra-light-down.html

The next issue of TrailGroove will have a review by yours truly. I've been using it since February this year. I paid less than $60 on clearance with S&H. Daaamn..... So far, so good. More to come.

(I totally agree with Cotsco. See something you like..BUY IT! :) )

re: how warm

Good question. I did wear it with a light 100 wt fleece in the cooler temps (mid-40s?). I was comfortable enough while cooking breakfast. If it became much cooler, probably would want a full puffy personally. For your dog, it may work well, though!

10-K
09-04-2014, 22:31
Mags do you have a weight on the vest?

saltysack
09-04-2014, 22:33
Any idea how heavy? I've only seen online... Going to check at Costco soon as I'm low on my green yummies......Sierra Nevada! Thinking I could just see up arm holes and waste ..... A doggy bag is born... I can always lster my rain shell and hiking clohs

saltysack
09-04-2014, 22:34
Damn fat fingers ....
Sew up
Waist
Layer
Cloths
To get xtra warmth for him....

Mags
09-04-2014, 22:43
Weighed it just now. 6.5 oz for a Men's medium.

Not sure what to compare it too, but a Marmot Zuess is listed at 10 oz for a M. Is the quality as high? Probably not. Is it a good, inexpensive and light piece that is versatile. Absolutely.

If I did an Eastern trail during three-season hiking, I'd have no problem taking this vest and a 100wt fleece for a versatile system.

saltysack
09-04-2014, 22:58
Perfect.... Now I can have my montbel ul down parka back! Dog gets the Costco special!

Twogears
09-04-2014, 23:04
I've never used an insulated jacket/vest during 3 season backpacking trips. I simply use my Frogg Togg jacket. Keeps me warm enough in camp. Additionally, I never have to worry about it getting wet. But, I have been keeping an eye out for a "down" jacket at my local Walmart. No luck so far though.

saltysack
09-04-2014, 23:30
I hike a lot during winter on southern AT... Love the warmth to weight of my down parka... Very light and warm ...

saltysack
09-05-2014, 14:20
Weighed it just now. 6.5 oz for a Men's medium.

Not sure what to compare it too, but a Marmot Zuess is listed at 10 oz for a M. Is the quality as high? Probably not. Is it a good, inexpensive and light piece that is versatile. Absolutely.

If I did an Eastern trail during three-season hiking, I'd have no problem taking this vest and a 100wt fleece for a versatile system.

Just picked up at local costco....
Seems very nice quality and lt weight... Lil jrt fits nicely inside...think will make a nice bag for him... Now need to sew waist and arm holes closed...

AO2134
09-05-2014, 16:43
I just bought it for myself. It will be my only down product. Maybe it will let me hike a little later into the season. Thanks for huge find. It is light and cheap, my two most important aspects of any gear, especially the cheap one.

saltysack
09-05-2014, 17:11
Usually light and cheap don't exist in the back packing world!....it's no Montbel but I'm impressed w quality for under $20.....it's 90 deg here so can't speak for how warm yet but mags says pretty warm for 6.5

quasarr
09-05-2014, 18:12
Dang I was just at Costco this week and I didn't see it! What a deal!

mikec
09-05-2014, 18:23
I used to have an LL Bean down vest once. It was nice over a winter coat when it was really cold. Looked nice too. However, when I wore it by itself when it was cold my arms got cold.

Offshore
09-05-2014, 18:55
Ordered one today based on this thread and found myself at Costco later on in the day and found them there by the hundreds. Oh well, shipping was free. Overall, not a bad vest. Probably worth $50 or $60 or so. Hard to go wrong for $20, so with reasonable expectations, a good deal.

saltysack
09-05-2014, 23:07
Dang I was just at Costco this week and I didn't see it! What a deal!

Online also....free shipping

overthinker
09-09-2014, 21:59
I had this vest for a couple of weeks last fall. Took it on a couple of hikes and wore it around town. Ended up giving it away on another forum.

Main problems I had with it:

- Fabric did not seem properly downproof. Always ended up looking like a chicken after I wore it.
- Down to feather ratio seemed worse than advertised on the tag. I kept finding little feather ends poking out.
- Not really all that warm. Vest felt kind of flat most of the time.

Sure, it's cheap, but I would rather have invested that much into a better quality product.

saltysack
09-10-2014, 07:43
I had this vest for a couple of weeks last fall. Took it on a couple of hikes and wore it around town. Ended up giving it away on another forum.

Main problems I had with it:

- Fabric did not seem properly downproof. Always ended up looking like a chicken after I wore it.
- Down to feather ratio seemed worse than advertised on the tag. I kept finding little feather ends poking out.
- Not really all that warm. Vest felt kind of flat most of the time.

Sure, it's cheap, but I would rather have invested that much into a better quality product.

Owell I plan to sew up arm and waist to make a sleeping bag for my jrt...if not warm enough I'll put my rain jacket and hiking cloths over top...can't expect much under $20...

Hikes in Rain
09-10-2014, 11:55
Online also....free shipping

Did just that on Monday. It's coming from Canada? Hmm...

Ordered the day before overthink's review. Now I'm starting to worry! :) I did note that their return policy is great; full refund, just drop it off at any warehouse. I go by one almost every day. I didn't check the warehouse, it's currently 81, which is a little cool for this time of year, and I doubt they'd be in stock here.

saltysack
09-10-2014, 11:58

Ordered the day before overthink's review. Now I'm starting to worry! :) I did note that their return policy is great; full refund, just drop it off at any warehouse. I go by one almost every day. I didn't check the warehouse, it's currently 81, which is a little cool for this time of year, and I doubt they'd be in stock here.

Mags liked his...$20 worth a try

AO2134
09-10-2014, 12:35
I assume it is better than nothing as I refuse to pay the price tag of a "good/great" down jacket/vest. Hopefully, I will be trying it out this year. If I remember about this thread, I will post a review here.

Hikes in Rain
09-10-2014, 13:25
My thought, as well. Pocket change, and a full refund at a place I go by almost daily. Hard to go wrong.

Mags
09-10-2014, 13:57
My experience, and my wife's, was indeed different. Again, I wore it for cool as opposed to cold weather. YMMV.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-10-2014, 20:59
i have a down jacket from uniglo super light weight as I recall I paid about 60 bucks for it on sale It is treated with a dwr good for around camp I also have the other jacket made by Hawke I bought at Wally World for 20 bucks on sale the dwr on the Wally World jacket is not very good so you need to re treat it It also had a funky odor to it when it got wet after i re treated it and placed it in the dryer the odor disappeared I really like the Uniglo jacket very light weight and warm for the weight

saltysack
09-10-2014, 21:42
I assume it is better than nothing as I refuse to pay the price tag of a "good/great" down jacket/vest. Hopefully, I will be trying it out this year. If I remember about this thread, I will post a review here.

Never say never....I felt the same way years back before I bought my montbell ul down parka and marmot helium 15 bag....quality products that last ....

Ktaadn
09-11-2014, 09:34

You know, that's where the geese are...most of the year.

Of course right now, they are pooping all over my neighborhood on their way south. What is your preference for goose travel? NOBO or SOBO?

Back on topic now. I looked at the vest last night at my local Costco. I think the tag said 550 fill power. I like the idea of using it for a dog, but probably not much else.

saltysack
09-11-2014, 10:11
I'll do a follow up once my dog uses it on our fht thru this fall.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/11/65f5133d3f673418ac0fd66eecfb2848.jpg

Hikes in Rain
09-11-2014, 11:17
You know, that's where the geese are...most of the year.

Of course right now, they are pooping all over my neighborhood on their way south. What is your preference for goose travel? NOBO or SOBO?

Back on topic now. I looked at the vest last night at my local Costco. I think the tag said 550 fill power. I like the idea of using it for a dog, but probably not much else.

We have a sizable population of them that stay year round. At least I know where to go for more down if my new vest (delivery now marked as "delayed by severe weather") looses too much.