PDA

View Full Version : i knew, sooner or later, somebody would come out with this...

jefals
09-04-2014, 21:51
So, I've now had a smartphone for a little over a month. And, when I got it, I made the same joke I guess at least a million other folks made -- "Wow, if it could only cook my breakfast!". The other night I was browsing the apps, and sure enough, there's one out there that says it will, essentially, overload the battery enough, creating enough heat to warm your hands or warm up your coffee! Incredible!

Also, on another note, my sister sent me a little paracord bracelet, and said it might be good for emergencies. Again, it's a little piece of paracord, fits around my wrist and snaps shut. Can y'all think of how this might be useful?

Thanks!

rocketsocks
09-04-2014, 21:56
So, I've now had a smartphone for a little over a month. And, when I got it, I made the same joke I guess at least a million other folks made -- "Wow, if it could only cook my breakfast!". The other night I was browsing the apps, and sure enough, there's one out there that says it will, essentially, overload the battery enough, creating enough heat to warm your hands or warm up your coffee! Incredible!

Also, on another note, my sister sent me a little paracord bracelet, and said it might be good for emergencies. Again, it's a little piece of paracord, fits around my wrist and snaps shut. Can y'all think of how this might be useful?

Thanks!...about half way though a thru-hike you can use it to hang yourself right before asking "What the hell was I thinkin' walkin' to Maine" :D

or you could just use it to stop the bleeding on your buddys leg, if nothing else is working, ie, direct pressure.

Dogwood
09-04-2014, 22:07
Reminds me of the Kingsford Charcoal commercial. The guy with the electronic grill/computer/internet connection lighting it with an app and sending a selfie as he programs the grill with voice recognition commands for cooking corn and kabbobs is a prime example of the ridiculously hilarious electronically addicted culture some live. I especially like the last line by the commercial's narrator - "get off your arse and grill."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUHfcqJ6pEM

Dogwood
09-04-2014, 22:16
Don't lose sight of the setting and the way such situations are typically portrayed. One guy, NOT addicted to all the electronic technology, is engaged in hands on grilling while obviously personally enjoyably socializing with many friends in person. The other guy, who bought into the electronic technology hype, in an overt way, is having I would say a much less personally(in person) sociable real world experience being in his own immediate little world. So much for being connected.

rocketsocks
09-04-2014, 22:27
Charcoal for me baby...and some hickory chips so's the neighbors knows we's cookin'

ralph23
09-06-2014, 18:46
The overlooked part of this thread= You just got a smart phone a month ago!! Are you kidding me? Welcome to the year 2007. Enjoy:)

adamkrz
09-06-2014, 19:05
The overlooked part of this thread= You just got a smart phone a month ago!! Are you kidding me? Welcome to the year 2007. Enjoy:)

Don't have one and never will.

mrcoffeect
09-06-2014, 19:56

same here!.

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 20:51
I'm still waitin' to get one...lookin' forward to it, books, maps, music, communicae, movies and more.

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 20:55
I'm still waitin' to get one...lookin' forward to it, books, maps, music, communicae, movies and more.
The one I'm lookin' at comes with a button that lets me use it or not, if and when. I think it's called the on/off switch. :rolleyes:

fiddlehead
09-06-2014, 21:08

My brother said that about cell phones for 10 years.
He got one last year.

Never say never. (how else would you tune your guitar?)

Things I used mine for YESTERDAY: flashlight, GPS, alarm, guitar tuner, messaging, read the news, stock prices, football scores, found PIN numbers hidden in my notepad, found wife's bank account number, took pictures of my kid, watched a new youtube video my son's best friend posted.
That was just yesterday. Day before: metronome for music class, used LINE for a video chat with my son, GoPro app for shooting video, My Tracks for keeping track of my jog and new route was 5.3 kms long, ...................oh yeah, and even used it to call my wife once. (probably the worst feature on the dam thing)

Sure I could do without it, but would have to remember a lot of other stuff too carry around.

78owl
09-06-2014, 21:16
I would rather have the bracelet. I'll keep my star trek flip phone.

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 21:54
My brother said that about cell phones for 10 years.
He got one last year.

Never say never. (how else would you tune your guitar?)

Things I used mine for YESTERDAY: flashlight, GPS, alarm, guitar tuner, messaging, read the news, stock prices, football scores, found PIN numbers hidden in my notepad, found wife's bank account number, took pictures of my kid, watched a new youtube video my son's best friend posted.
That was just yesterday. Day before: metronome for music class, used LINE for a video chat with my son, GoPro app for shooting video, My Tracks for keeping track of my jog and new route was 5.3 kms long, ...................oh yeah, and even used it to call my wife once. (probably the worst feature on the dam thing)

Sure I could do without it, but would have to remember a lot of other stuff too carry around.Now that's one I hadn't even considered...nice! just saved me about 6 oz. from not having to carry my old analog tuner.

Wise Old Owl
09-06-2014, 22:44

Sort of like trying to avoid Edison's electric light bulb in 1878 - oh the horror!

we dont remember the protests, the press throwing the bulbs under the trolley etc. We have a choice embrace or forgetaboutit.