PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Hilton in October

kolokolo
09-04-2014, 22:17
Hi All,
I'm planning to hike from Fontana Dam to Hot Springs in mid-October, and spend my first night (probably a Saturday) at the Fontana Hilton.

I'll have a tarp with me just in case, but does anyone know how likely is it that the Fontana Dam shelter will be full? (I'd rather not bring a tent since I can't use it in the Smokies.). Is it pretty crowded there on weekends?

Thanks for any experience/advice.

MuddyWaters
09-04-2014, 22:24
I doubt you will have any issues. I've been there 3 times, and the only time there was more than 4 to 6 people, was thru hiker season in spring. That night, I elected to go stay at hotel instead after assessing the company. It looked like a boisterous crowd. I think I paid 50 or so at the tuskeegee inn. And they had a little store.

CrumbSnatcher
09-04-2014, 22:24
probably empty that time of year :-)
but i believe it list capacity at 24, and could probably hold 30 hikers

July
09-04-2014, 23:00
Hi All,
I'm planning to hike from Fontana Dam to Hot Springs in mid-October, and spend my first night (probably a Saturday) at the Fontana Hilton.

I'll have a tarp with me just in case, but does anyone know how likely is it that the Fontana Dam shelter will be full? (I'd rather not bring a tent since I can't use it in the Smokies.). Is it pretty crowded there on weekends?

It is always unwise to hike without your own shelter. Esp in the GSMNP. Pack some form of shelter, unless you have mad wood skills. Weather changes fast. Better safe than, sniveling looking for the Rangers...

Hops53
09-04-2014, 23:35
It is always unwise to hike without your own shelter. Esp in the GSMNP. Pack some form of shelter, unless you have mad wood skills. Weather changes fast. Better safe than, sniveling looking for the Rangers...
Agree. Don't hike the GSMNP without some shelter, especially this time of year.

HooKooDooKu
09-04-2014, 23:54
You can expect night time temperatures around (and possibly below) freezing at the high elevations in GSMNP during October.

Climate Data puts average night time lows in the upper 30's, but it's very easy to get a cold spell that could take things to mid 20's.

illabelle
09-05-2014, 04:42
Agree, agree, agree! Bring a shelter. GSMNP is not a place you want to be without basic survival equipment.
Be safe.

daddytwosticks
09-05-2014, 07:19
...ummm, did you all miss the part where the OP said they were bringing a tarp? :)

Gambit McCrae
09-05-2014, 08:04
Hi All,

If good weather is expected that night, ditch the shelter and pitch tarp in corner of fence area out behind the shelter or even just cowboy camp. Did this in spring time and had a great sunrise of the smokies!

RED-DOG
09-05-2014, 12:03
that time of year it will probably empty or just 2-3 other folks, the only times I have actually seen that shelter full is during the peak of thru-hike season mid march to early may, October is a great time to hike through the smokies, you'd probably be alone most of the time.

RED-DOG
09-05-2014, 12:06
that time of year it will probably empty or just 2-3 other folks, the only times I have actually seen that shelter full is during the peak of thru-hike season mid march to early may, October is a great time to hike through the smokies, you'd probably be alone most of the time.
Go preparred for cool, wet weather. the weather in the smokies differs from day to day.

Cookerhiker
09-05-2014, 19:50
It's been 10 years but I stayed there on a Friday night on my Allen Gap-to-Winding Stair Gap section hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=84125). Only 2 other hikers shared the shelter with me.