PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Shuttles?

Coffee
09-05-2014, 09:03
This being White Blaze, I suspect there are many opinions :), but I'm wondering if there is any consensus on whether it is customary or appropriate to tip shuttle drivers. I've gone both ways on this depending on circumstances. For an owner-operator of a hostel who also provides shuttles, I tend to assume that they ask for what they expect to receive and have not added a tip. But if the owner of a hostel provides a shuttle service and one of his or her employees provides the shuttle, I have tipped. If a driver offers a shuttle service via advertisement on a hostel bulletin board, I assume that the price is what they expect to receive and I don't tip. But if I call a taxi, I always tip.

I make a point to tip well in trail towns for good service, both because it is the right thing to do and also because that way locals are more liklely to view the hiking community as an economic benefit rather than a nuisance. So I don't mind tipping for shuttles but feel like it isn't always appropriate or necessary to do so. Any opinions?

Gambit McCrae
09-05-2014, 09:36
I have not tipped shuttles personally. And only one time has an employee shuttled me, in which case he was a pain in the arse so would not have gotten a tip anyway.

HooKooDooKu
09-05-2014, 09:44
I don't use shuttles vary often, but when I do, tipping depends upon the situation.

One situation I can think of that I've always tipped is when I've asked for something special, such as a VERY early morning shuttle.

I know I've been able to get AAA Hiker Services around GSMNP to give me a 'before sunrise' shuttle and I've always given him a tip for getting out of bed so early for me.

Lybarger
09-05-2014, 10:06
I make a point to tip well in trail towns for good service, both because it is the right thing to do and also because that way locals are more liklely to view the hiking community as an economic benefit rather than a nuisance.

As a resident of a trail town I can tell you that your attitude goes a long way in how hikers are viewed.

Hang R
09-05-2014, 11:01
I look at shuttling as a service and will tip if I receive good service and for having the flexibility to meet my desired schedule as well. Usually a shuttle is much more than just a ride. It is a time to find out real-time information about the area that you may not find as easy before you hit the trail. Good service =Good tip. Poor service= No tip.

Studlintsean
09-05-2014, 16:52
I always try to give a few more dollars than requested as a tip. This was discussed a few years ago and I didn't re read the thread but I believe opinions from some shuttlers were provided. Might be worth reading. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-74098.html?

Coffee
09-05-2014, 17:07
Seems like a lot of varied opinions which is kind of what I expected... I guess I'll just play it by ear in the future and do what seems appropriate. I do tend to side with those who believe that an owner/operator of a shuttle should set the rate he wants and not expect tips while an employee of a business, like a hostel, who delivers the service might deserve a tip for good service.

The tip confusion I have is nothing like the confusion I faced over tipping wait staff in Europe this summer. Each country has a different custom, and there are different expectations for tourists vs. locals. I never felt comfortable just "rounding up" - like from 38 to 40 euros - for a meal even though the guidebooks I had said that American style tips are not customary in most parts of Europe since wait staff get reasonable pay to begin with, health insurance, etc unlike in the US... so sometimes I just tipped like I would in the US anyway. I'd rather err on the side of being overly generous if I'm able to do so.

Dogwood
09-05-2014, 17:59
"I make a point to tip well in trail towns for good service, both because it is the right thing to do and also because that way locals are more liklely to view the hiking community as an economic benefit rather than a nuisance."
As a resident of a trail town I can tell you that your attitude goes a long way in how hikers are viewed.

I've heard these sentiments many times. It enforces the need to uphold ourselves as hikers being always intimately alert that our behavior reflects on the entire hiking community. Must I share many example of when that has not been the case?

johnnybgood
09-05-2014, 18:38
My own barometer on this subject of tips is : Did the shuttle driver arrive at the expected time in a clean vehicle to pick you up ?
Did I make it to my destination w/o any delay that was avoidable on their end ?
If this has been achieved then I of course would at least offer.

In addition : If let's say I needed an out of the way ride to the post office , grocery store, etc. then a larger tip would be on order.
How much of a tip is entirely to your hearts desire .

kayak karl
09-05-2014, 19:42
if the shuttle drive owns the business, i do not tip and if they expect one they are a poor businessperson. the owner will do a good job the get repeat business and referrals. an employee i will tip. same as a barbershop, learned that many, many years ago.

Bronk
09-06-2014, 10:00
If you are the passenger, agree on a price before you get in the car and you shouldn't have any problems.

If you are the driver, agree on a price before you take them anywhere and you shouldn't have any problems.

If you pick up a hitchhiker, make sure they understand if you expect to be paid before you take them anywhere.

Problems seem to arise from hikers thinking they are getting a free ride only to find out that the driver wanted to be paid.

Above all, donations are voluntary payments. If you work for donations, don't get mad when people don't volunteer.

atmilkman
09-06-2014, 10:13
if the shuttle drive owns the business, i do not tip and if they expect one they are a poor businessperson. the owner will do a good job the get repeat business and referrals. an employee i will tip. same as a barbershop, learned that many, many years ago.
Ditto on this. Like you, I learned this many years ago.

atmilkman
09-06-2014, 10:47
If you are the passenger, agree on a price before you get in the car and you shouldn't have any problems.

If you are the driver, agree on a price before you take them anywhere and you shouldn't have any problems.

If you pick up a hitchhiker, make sure they understand if you expect to be paid before you take them anywhere.

Problems seem to arise from hikers thinking they are getting a free ride only to find out that the driver wanted to be paid.

Above all, donations are voluntary payments. If you work for donations, don't get mad when people don't volunteer.
If somebody is hanging out at a trailhead asking if you need a ride, my guess is they are looking to make a buck. I get the rate up front. If I'm walking or hitching for that matter down the road and somebody pulls over and asks "need a ride" I look at it as a freebee. As if they were going my way. I offer money to help cover the cost of gas 5bucks for 20 miles. Basically 20 miles - gallon of gas. More times than not, they don't want it and you gotta drop it on the seat. If I happen to get in with a "hiker chaser" (along the lines of an ambulance chaser) someone that cruises up and down the highway looking for hikers to nail for a ride, they get the same offer. Take it or leave it. If you want more money then go hang out at the trailhead and make that perfectly clear. Don't make me think you happened to be "going my way" and thought you could use a ride and then try to hit me up with an overpriced fee. That ain't right.

Coffee
09-06-2014, 12:03
I felt awkward about offering gas money to people who gave me a ride when I was hitching. For the most part, these people clearly enjoyed picking people up and just wanted to hear about my hike. I felt like offering money might be taken the wrong way, so I didn't.

Coffee
09-06-2014, 12:05
I go to a barber who operates his business with his wife and has four other employees. I tip well to anyone performing a service involving blades near my face and would feel really weird tipping the employees but not the owner if I happen to get him when my number is called. Also he happens to be the best barber in the shop...

earlyriser26
09-06-2014, 21:14
I always tip and sometimes way over the top. I am glad that there are people willing to shuttle hikers. Keep them in business and give hikers a better image.

jonrocmtn
09-06-2014, 22:08
Our hiking club is one of the AT Trail Maintaining Clubs. We maintain a shuttle list of club members willing to provide shuttle service. Most of our segment is located within a National Forest. Several years ago our club members were advised that if we observed an established fee schedule for shuttle service we would be required to have a permit from the Forest Service but a permit would not be required if we provided the service for a donation. When I received a call I would always explain that our club members could not charge a fee but I would be glad to provide a shuttle for a donation. Then I would proceed to tell them how many miles would be involved and how long it would take. Over the ten years I volunteered for this service I can not recall but a very few instances when I felt I was taken advantage of. As a rule, most folks were very generous.

10-K
09-07-2014, 06:24
As a shuttle service provider: We price our shuttles to cover the cost of doing business - which is a lot more than you would imagine if you're running a 100% legit business with business licensees, commercial insurance, well maintained newer model vehicles, etc. - and don't forget the tax man.

Tips aren't expected but like anyone, we appreciate them. I don't mind sharing - after expenses we make between $10.50 and $11.00 an hour so this isn't something that'll make you rich. My wife and I are retired - it's just something to do that we both enjoy doing.

As a consumer: I always tip. Shuttle drivers, servers, anyone in a service job - even if it's the owner.

gunner76
09-07-2014, 20:59
As a resident of a trail town I can tell you that your attitude goes a long way in how hikers are viewed

this is true of most things in life.

I do a little bit of shuttle service for my local hiking trail and I ask for a donation, so far no one has not given a decent donation that was at least enough to cover gas.

colorado_rob
09-08-2014, 00:10
... As a consumer: I always tip. Shuttle drivers, servers, anyone in a service job - even if it's the owner.Yep, this. I do 20% rounded to the next 5 bucks; $30 shuttle, I give them two twenties. $60 shuttle, maybe $75, etc. These guys really help us out and most don't make much $$$, so I feel good about tipping them.