PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering MegaLite or Caribou MF???

BrianOH72
09-05-2014, 14:22
I'm going to be section hiking the AT next summer and need to decide on a sleeping bag. I had first looked at the Sierra Designs Backcountry being that I'm 6'2, 225lbs and twist and turn a lot when sleeping. After seeing that this sleeping bag weighed in at 2lbs 11oz someone told me that I might want to look at bags from Western Mountaineering. Looking for anyone using the MegaLite or Caribou MF and their thoughts on them. Thanks!

daddytwosticks
09-05-2014, 15:50
I'm 6 foot even with an average build. But I toss and turn all night. Owned a Caribou long for a few years. Very nice bag with plenty of room. But I was cold. Probably from being too long (more volume to heat) but more likely cold because of the sewn through construction. I now have a regular length Megalite. Very nice bag and warm. Wish it had a draft collar. However, depending on where you are section hiking next summer, both bags may be a bit too hot for some hikers. :)

swisscross
09-05-2014, 15:58
Really like my Megalite. Light, warm and roomy.

I too toss and turn.
Sort of wished I would have bought the Terralite.

bigcranky
09-06-2014, 08:51
I tried both bags, then realized that the Caribou didn't have a draft tube over the zipper. (This is ~10 years ago; might have changed.) It's a minor thing, but makes a difference in comfort on a cold night. I got the Megalite and have been using it happily ever since.

BTW, you said "next summer" -- I do find the Megalite to be quite warm in the summer. It's my spring and fall bag around here, though it would make a good summer bag in New England.