PDA

View Full Version : Bear Mtn (Conn) Grafitti

Cosmo
09-05-2014, 17:07
The spoilers have been out this past week and tagged the area around the summit. Photo is attached. If anyone recognizes some of the symbols here, please PM me with any info you have. I can send you higher res images if that will be helpful.

We've seen a definite increase in tagging at campsites--and we try and address that right away in hopes of discouraging others. This batch right on the A.T. is pretty grim.

Thanks,

Cosmo

BuckeyeBill
09-05-2014, 17:25
I'm not sure about the symbology but the color is the same as what Pond has been using.

NY HIKER 50
09-05-2014, 19:03
The one on the right looks like a ram. I'm not sure of the others.

No Directions
09-05-2014, 19:16
Usually the idiots that deface the shelters sign their trail name. Shouldn't be hard to catch with that info. I would love to meet Jaybird 2011. That a-hole carved his name into every sign in GA.

rocketsocks
09-05-2014, 22:25
I believe if I came across someone spray paintin' a rock like that, I'd be incline to stick my foot in their ass.

DrL
09-06-2014, 13:55
SKN 23 or maybe JKN 23.

?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 17:01
I believe if I came across someone spray paintin' a rock like that, I'd be incline to stick my foot in their ass.
...or at the least a stern takin' to with the promise of police at the trail head waitin' for em. I really don't get this kind of mantality that says it's ok to name this place as mine...it's not yours, it's ours, and my part doesn't want to be painted. Knuckleheaded squirrel.

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 17:07
when I flip the image it looks like the round one is a smiley face with a wink maybe, and some text.

Captain Bluebird
09-06-2014, 19:30
Looks like exact same paint "pond" is using....

Be a darn Shane if this person stumbled over while doing his/her artwork! Isn't there anything that can be done to catch and turn this person in to the authorities?

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

Dogtra
09-07-2014, 04:23
It's a shame that people would deface the wilderness like that... but considering the large majority of graffiti artists in general, its not like they have any regard for property or boundaries.

I hope this person is caught and prosecuted.

rocketsocks
12-12-2016, 19:25
I'm as patriotic as the next but this is graffiti

rocketsocks
12-12-2016, 19:26
Lehigh Gap.........

saltysack
12-12-2016, 20:24
I'm as patriotic as the next but this is graffiti

Look AT the bright side....at least it's an American flag...unfortunately in today's society nothing surprises me....sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
12-13-2016, 01:02
Look AT the bright side....at least it's an American flag...unfortunately in today's society nothing surprises me....sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes...it's American Graffiti :D

Engine
12-13-2016, 07:51
I've never understood what drives people to carve up trees and shelters. I haven't seen tagging like this in the backcountry, but that is probably going to eventually be added to my list of "oh, how nice..." backcountry experiences.

If they catch someone who has done something like this, a suitable punishment would be attending LNT training and then 250 hours of community service presenting the LNT message to the kids at local schools.

rocketsocks
12-13-2016, 12:47
If they catch someone who has done something like this, a suitable punishment would be attending LNT trainingModern Corporal punishment! like it. :D

FreeGoldRush
12-13-2016, 12:58
The spoilers have been out this past week and tagged the area around the summit. Photo is attached. If anyone recognizes some of the symbols here, please PM me with any info you have. I can send you higher res images if that will be helpful.

We've seen a definite increase in tagging at campsites--and we try and address that right away in hopes of discouraging others. This batch right on the A.T. is pretty grim.

Thanks,

Cosmo

The correct strategy for dealing with this sort of thing at a business is to repair/remove immediately, often within hours. This removes the impact of the criminal's efforts and hopefully reduces their motivation to do it again. If it stays there for a while then the criminal is rewarded, and like an animal, will repeat behavior that generates the outcome they seek.

rocketsocks
12-13-2016, 17:09
The correct strategy for dealing with this sort of thing at a business is to repair/remove immediately, often within hours. This removes the impact of the criminal's efforts and hopefully reduces their motivation to do it again. If it stays there for a while then the criminal is rewarded, and like an animal, will repeat behavior that generates the outcome they seek.
...also perpetuates the "broken window theory"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory