PDA

View Full Version : Plus sized lightweight women's clothing

CynJ
10-11-2005, 12:34
I'm not having a lot of luck finding wicking shirts in plus sizes without going into a man's shirt. Anyone know of a good brand that has plus sizes?

Rollergirl
10-11-2005, 14:05
Try Just My Size activewear...you can get poly tops at most Wal*Marts (I know, I know...corporate whore).

Good luck!

dixicritter
10-11-2005, 20:36
I found the following sites by doing a google search...

http://www.coolmaxclothing.com/XXLsize.html

http://www.americanbackcountry.com/womens/crazy_daisy/wdcd_381.htm

There's a couple... I put in "wicking shirts" then searched within the results for women's.

Hammock Hanger
10-11-2005, 20:45
not to change the subject but has anyone noticed the cute "whiteblaze label" in the upper left corner of this thread. ATTrol really likes this girly thing. :)

CynJ
10-11-2005, 22:55
I never thought about Walmart Rollergirl - and at our house the joke is that all roads lead to Walmart lol...

Thanks dixicritter - that coolmax stuff is even reasonably priced!

lol...the logo is cool - if we could just loose the pink (or tone it down a bit-its such a stark transition from the green)

rambunny
10-12-2005, 15:28
You know i've worn men's tights for years-they are just made better besides fitting. I wear men's Sketcher's trail sport sneakers cause the toe box is bigger-why should they have all the fun!

CynJ
10-12-2005, 15:55
lol...I wear a lot of men's sneakers/loafers...they are wider and just more comfortable. And as a bonus none of that obnoxious glitterey crap or bizzare colors they are putting on the womens shoes these days.

I don't have much luck with men's hiking boots though - they end up going halfway up my calf - not comfortable at all.

Hammock Hanger
10-12-2005, 16:17
You know i've worn men's tights for years-they are just made better besides fitting. I wear men's Sketcher's trail sport sneakers cause the toe box is bigger-why should they have all the fun!
Hey Lady, nice to see your handle popping up these days. I wasn't on the trail this summer and missed seeing familar faces!!:D

I have always worn mens boots or sneakers on the trail, great room for the feet to swell without getting extra length you don't need.

rambunny
10-12-2005, 16:33
OK now that i know i'm umungst friends i have a confession in 2000 on that thru hike i had CHAFING! Got to Hot Springs where some southbound hikers that noticed i was hiking like i'd rode a horse up to that point suggested some wicking boxer type undershorts that the outfitters had, when i got there Dan said sorry Bunny only men's small left-i took them-the next day i went back to show him i'd found a use for that pocket in front as a joke i was carrying my camera in it. To this day i wish i knew how to get a pair without the pocket.I've also used the spandex girdle type thigh long legs,few seams that has worked well.Anyone else with a funny clothing storie?

CynJ
10-12-2005, 16:47
owwww....chafing is no joke.

I generally don't have a problem with chafing on my thighs. I wear <gasp> lightweight cotton capris pants and cotton underwear. My longest day hike to date is 6.5miles - no irritation.

Now under my breasts where my bra rubs is a WHOLE other story. That gets miserable. And I am so big busted that I have to wear somethat that really supports (ie a minimizer bra with padded shoulder straps) so a sports type bra is out. When I sweat it starts breaking out and it gets really irritated. If I use a stick type type antiperspirant/deodorant the irritation is much much less.

Hammock Hanger
10-12-2005, 19:33
Rambunny: In 2000 I cut the crotch out of a pair of men's wicking boxer shorts, hemmed and made a skirt out of them. I turned the front seam to the side and use the "fly as a pocket. Great minds think alike... :)

Can't give CynJ any suggestions. I'm small busted and never get the boob rash. I never wore a bra on the trail but after seeing my 2004 picture with the Ferryman... well let's say I went and found a sports bra and will wear it. (I asked my partner a male why he did't tell me I was flashing. He said why would I!!! :) )

Hammock Hanger
10-12-2005, 19:41
owwww....chafing is no joke.

If I use a stick type type antiperspirant/deodorant the irritation is much much less.
BTW: Monistat has a chaffing cream out now that is as soft as silk and works pretty good. I try to always have a little in my pack "just in case."

april2006
10-12-2005, 20:22
Great topic! Maybe some of you can help me. I need some direction obtaining clothes for a thru hike. I'm just not sure what to wear. I am also plus sized so it seems like there are less options. I had thought bike shorts with nylon shorts over them for the summer. (bike shorts to cut down on chafing and the nylon ones over them because no one wants to see me in just bike shorts:D !!!) and then of course a wicking tshirt or tank top. I'm really stumped on clothes for the cooler months though. HELP!!:confused:

Hammock Hanger
10-12-2005, 20:59
Great topic! Maybe some of you can help me. I need some direction obtaining clothes for a thru hike. I'm just not sure what to wear. I am also plus sized so it seems like there are less options. I had thought bike shorts with nylon shorts over them for the summer. (bike shorts to cut down on chafing and the nylon ones over them because no one wants to see me in just bike shorts:D !!!) and then of course a wicking tshirt or tank top. I'm really stumped on clothes for the cooler months though. HELP!!:confused:
I didn't like the bike shorts but many say it has worked for them. They have the bike skorts now. (skirt w/bike shorts underneath.) Try online at a bike shop.

In colder weather you are gonna want a polypro (long john type) shirt, men's work out well for us larger women, as well as long johns. I find that Sierra Outlet has great prices on these items. If it is really cold I also carry a pair of lightwt fleece pants and jacket. I do not personally carry a heavy fleece or a parka. If it gets really cold I layer, ie: t-shirt, long john shirt, ltwt fleece, raincoat. When you are hiking you will be warmer and won't need all of the layers but sometimes between dinner and sleep it can get cold. Of course at that point I just climb into the sleeping bag.

Both the fleece and the polys are nice because they will keep you warm even when wet.

Always, always sleep with a hat, one that is snug enough not to slip off in the night. Alot of body heat escapes through the head. It can make the difference between a comfortable night and a miserable night. Again, fleece is a good choice. Small, squishy and warm when wet. I always keep one set of socks that are ONLY for SLEEPING. I f I am in headed into town I may use them that day but not generally.

Men's wicking boxers are nice for under rain pants if you plan to wear those. Always check out the men's section of any shop or catalog, they have great stuff. Who cares if the bottoms have a hole!! :o

Sue

april2006
10-12-2005, 21:29
Thanks HH. Shorts and a skirt? I have heard some folks talk about this kind of combination. Is it really more comfortable? Long skirt, short skirt, wrap, full??? I'm very...um...shall we say, hippy, so I usually don't wear anything that is fitted around the hips. Plus I figure after a few months on the trail, I'll will lose some weight and therefore need something adjustable. I was going to buy the biker shorts and then my mom was gonna make the nylon ones with an elastic waist and just leave a slit in the casing so I could pull out the elastic and tighten it. I figured I'd just replace the biker shorts. any thoughts?

Hammock Hanger
10-12-2005, 21:42
Thanks HH. Shorts and a skirt? I have heard some folks talk about this kind of combination. Is it really more comfortable? Long skirt, short skirt, wrap, full??? I'm very...um...shall we say, hippy, so I usually don't wear anything that is fitted around the hips. Plus I figure after a few months on the trail, I'll will lose some weight and therefore need something adjustable. I was going to buy the biker shorts and then my mom was gonna make the nylon ones with an elastic waist and just leave a slit in the casing so I could pull out the elastic and tighten it. I figured I'd just replace the biker shorts. any thoughts?
I just thought that the skirt over the biker shorts would be less bulky. I personally wear a skirt and go al natural underneath. Makes going to the bathroom very easy. Not to mention the thrill I get when I sit up on a summit, :D .

You will lose inches when on the trail so it is great to have plans to bring the waist in. Other wise you will be buying new clothes. Not necessairly the tops but anything around the waist. I went down 4-5 sizes in the waist.

Nice that mom sews. I made a number of my hiking skirts until I found 2 on clearance for $5. at Wally World. They are made out of the board short material and dry in minutes. Which is great when in the weather, swimming or just sweating like a pig. Sue

CynJ
10-12-2005, 23:14
I love my cotton or seersucker capri pants....they dry quickly in the rain and keep away the branches/bugs without being hot. I wear them all spring/summer/fall.

that hat tip is important HH - folks don't realize how much heat they lose from their heads -or their feet for that matter.

and just remember that women's knee-high stockings make great sock liners to prevent blisters

Rollergirl
10-13-2005, 10:29
A great way to get support for hiking AND avoid that bra rash: bathing suit tops! I wore a tankini top for a lot of my hike. SUUPPPPER comfortable, wicking fabrics, and great for just popping into swimming holes as they appear!

Lane Bryant carries a wonderful line as does Land's End!

Good luck!
Love,
Rollergirl

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-15-2005, 08:55
Wonderful info in this thread for us larger ladies.

I have ample breast and gravity has not been kind..... I wear a microfiber sports bra made by Bestform for hiking. It has a back closure (I'm too old to try to struggle into the pull-on type) and keeps the girls in place. The lower band is wide, breathes well and does not roll so I haven't had any chafing problems with it..

I recently found a Bestform bra at Wal-Mart among the sports bras -- it is made like a regular underwire bra, but is made completely of polyester! It has been remarkable comfortable for walks / hikes under 7 miles, but I haven't done a long hike in it.

Blissful
10-16-2005, 22:34
I'm glad you brought this up - the sports bra line. I am looking for one that is very light and dries quickly, the ones I have (like Ativa, etc) dry way too slowly and I HATE putting on something damp and cold the next morning after a day perspiring - ugh! Looks like Patagonia puts out a good line - anyone vouch for it?

Pringles
10-18-2005, 17:32
Junonia has all kinds of things for larger-sized active women. The stuff's a bit on the expensive side, but what I've ordered has been good. http://junonia.com/

Beth

CynJ
10-21-2005, 09:57
Beth that is too funny!

Earlier this summer I wend shopping at this higher end consignment shop and bought two v-neck sort of spandexy tshirts that were Junonia. They wear like absolute iron.

One of the two is a snowwhite shirt- I've gotten more crud on that thing and everything washes out just fine with no stains! (I use regular detergent & clorox2)

julie
01-04-2006, 13:33
Here are some great resources for women's outdoor clothing:

www.isisforwomen.com (http://www.isisforwomen.com)

www.title9sports.com (http://www.title9sports.com)

Title 9 has more exercise bras than I've ever seen in my life. I personally happen to need very little in the way of support (you can't have everything in this life), but boy howdy, if you need a double D to do jumping jacks in, they can help you out.

sarbar
01-04-2006, 17:21
LLBean carries a nice amount of tops in plus sizes (which they go up to 3X) their regular sizes go up to 20.
I love their coolmax tops-and have short and long sleeve ones :)

reddog176
01-04-2006, 17:44
Has anyone seen any X-Static (silver threaded antibacterial) undergarments in plus sizes?

kyerger
01-04-2006, 23:54
I am hiking with my husband in June and would like to know what women hikers wear when sleeping.
thanks

sarbar
01-05-2006, 00:25
I am hiking with my husband in June and would like to know what women hikers wear when sleeping.
thanks
I carry a cotton long sleeve T to wear, and a pair of cotton underwear. I HAVE to have cotton, or I sweat all night. Blech. There is something about getting into cotton that feels like you are at home :)

Blissful
01-05-2006, 21:55
Depends on the outside temps and where you will be at. I sleep cold, so I usually wear a lightweight microfleece long sleeve top (and pants too if it gets colder) I got at major department store closeout last year. If it will be really warm and humid, a polypro t-shirt and undies.

reddog176
01-10-2006, 02:52
What do women that have hiked before recommend wearing for underwear?

QHShowoman
01-10-2006, 12:08
Ex-officio underwear.

Comfortable, quick drying, moisture wicking, odor-resistant, anti-microbial.

What more can you ask for? they come in all sorts of styles -- from thong, to boxer brief.

sarbar
01-10-2006, 19:54
What do women that have hiked before recommend wearing for underwear?
Before I am pelted, I hate "outdoor" underwear. Blech. I only wear it in the late fall/winter/early spring. In summer I wear thin cotton undies. Why? It doesn't get the "funk" like non-natural fabrics do after awhile. Otherwise, I own a bunch of REI MTS ones. Which work fine, I just don't like the feel of any non-natural fabric.
If I could afford the Smartwool long underwear, I'd be all over it ;)

CreakyBonze
01-12-2006, 00:27
OK, new to this site, but you have brought up a very important subject. the bras for us heavy busted older folks....and I do mean heavy and older. I didn't lose an ounce last year, but I was only out for a month ...meant to be six months...but, you know...pain and age.

I'll be back out probably in April, when it begins to get hot. I'm talking the need for a non binding but semi-supportive bra. I looked at last year's photos, and was horrified at the non-support in my clothes.

I'll try the Best form but does patagonia put out extra extra large bras?

CreakyBonze
"you don't quit playing because you grow old, you grow old because you quit playing".

QHShowoman
01-12-2006, 09:49
I have big boobs (I fluctuate between a D - DDD depending on my weight). The only bras that I've found that give me the support I need in the size I need are the ones Lane Bryant makes. I always wear underwire bras and I don't like the "uniboob" look of most sports bras. Lane Bryant carries underwire sports bras made of wicking fabric -- those are what I wear to hike, work out, etc.

As for wearing cotton underwear for hiking ... mine get quite sweaty and damp while hiking and there is nothing worse than pulling them down in cold weather to use the privy and having to pull them on again when they are cold and damp.

sarbar
01-12-2006, 11:52
I am pretty big chested...I buy my underwire, wide strapped sports bras (ie...no uniboob here!) from LLBean (Champion brand) and at Walmart. Walmart actually sells a couple outdoor bras made for us ladies-and they run about $10 each. I sleep in mine when backpacking so it has to be comfy.

nyushka42
01-20-2006, 11:05
A great way to get support for hiking AND avoid that bra rash: bathing suit tops! I wore a tankini top for a lot of my hike. SUUPPPPER comfortable, wicking fabrics, and great for just popping into swimming holes as they appear!

Lane Bryant carries a wonderful line as does Land's End!

Good luck!
Love,
Rollergirl

Thank you Rollergirl for that AWESOME suggestion. Love tankinis. Solves the problem of carrying around extra bras.
I'm allergic to my own sweat actually (yeah, really convinient), so wearing the same sportsbra 2 days in a row is highly irritating. (I'm allergic to dry sweat actually, I usually can't wear my gym clothes more than once). However, if I bring 3 or 4 tankinis, that solves the problem right there.