PDA

View Full Version : Trail Etiquette

kampingexpert
09-06-2014, 02:44
Here recently I was reading an article (forget what it was) and I saw it mentioned that uphill hikers have the right away when on the trail. Since I did not know this I am curious as to what other things should I be aware of on the trail in terms of trail etiquette.

Sarcasm the elf
09-06-2014, 06:39
Nobody on foot has the right of way over anyone else. Passing a person on the trail isn't the sort of thing that so difficult as to require it's own rule. Usually oneperson just steps off out of common courtesy. Typically I always step off trail when someone is passing in the opposite direction since I hike with a dog and just think it's polite to have her in a sit command when someone else passes by.

Funny enough the only "rule" I've ever seen in writing that mentions this subject is that during trail running races the downhill runner typically has the right of way since it's much harder for them to stop their momentum safely.

mcgrabo
09-06-2014, 06:49
It is like walking on a sidewalk or in a busy store/restaurant, common courtesy. I walk most ever day on the trail, met a lot of hikers. I am not in a hurry, so I always step aside and say "Hello". Every hiker I have met, says "Thanks". Some stop to visit, others just go on their way. I must say that Hikers are friendlier than most folks you will meet on the street.

Coffee
09-06-2014, 08:03
I always yield to uphill hikers. When I'm hiking uphill, nearly all other backpackers seem to yield to me. Day hikers aren't as familiar with this custom and often don't yield. I view yielding to the uphill hiker to be a small courtesy but I'm not aware of any "rule" and no one is going to give "violators" a citation.

map man
09-06-2014, 08:14
I always step aside when I am going uphill because I could use the rest!

Other bits of etiquette: don't make a lot of noise in camp after dark if others are around; don't wash your dishes in streams or ponds/lakes; always leave some kind of payment at a hostel even if payment is "optional"; don't quiz women hikers about their destination or about whether they are hiking alone; practice a "live and let live" ethic toward wildlife you encounter (don't prod snakes to get a reaction or bother/stalk other wildlife to get that perfect camera shot); don't try to "save" spots in a shelter or choice tenting sites for your hiking buddies -- it should be first-come-first-served; always say a kind word or two to trail workers.

Theosus
09-06-2014, 08:41
I've read the downhill thing before - the reasoning seems to be a downhill hiker will see an uphill hiker first (especially on a long uphill, I guess, where you're looking at your feet!). Something about horses, too, that hikers should get out of the way of horses and talk calmly and not make sudden moves that might scare the horse.

bigcranky
09-06-2014, 08:52
I always let uphill hikers have the right of way. They often stop for a chat. When I'm slogging uphill, no one seems to step aside, so I think this "rule" is not widely known.

Sarcasm the elf
09-06-2014, 09:00
I've read the downhill thing before - the reasoning seems to be a downhill hiker will see an uphill hiker first (especially on a long uphill, I guess, where you're looking at your feet!). Something about horses, too, that hikers should get out of the way of horses and talk calmly and not make sudden moves that might scare the horse.

Hikers and cyclists should always yield to horses on a multiuse trail, but that's a matter of safety not simply a courtesy. Horses are flighty 1400lb animals and you want to give them some space for the sake of everyone involved.. Also, if you encounter a rider while on a trail or switchback on a hill, always step off the trail on the downhill side, in the event that the horse gets spooked, they will almost always run uphill.

Offshore
09-06-2014, 09:14
The October 2014 issue of Backpacker has an article on trail etiquette which was pretty interesting. For hiking right of way they recommend that downhill yield to uphill (downhiller will probably see uphiller and its easier to resume downhill hiking), slower yield to faster (don't cause traffic jam), mountain bikers yield to hikers (yeah right, never experienced this one...), and everyone yields to horses.

They cover a lot of other topics including smoking, cell phones, shelters and dogs. Most of this seems to be common courtesy and/or common sense, but at times there seems to be an excess of self-esteem on the trail.

garlic08
09-06-2014, 09:18
Only a few things people do on a trail miff me, and one of them is failure to say "Thank you" when I step aside and yield on a narrow trail, no matter the slope.

Another one is making me listen to their music or telephone conversation.

As far as yielding goes, I apply a lesson I was taught when learning how to drive--the right-of-way is something always to be given, never taken.

Don H
09-06-2014, 09:20
Uphill hikers should be granted the right of way.
Downhill runners should be granted the right of way.

When you mix runners and hikers you know there's gonna be an accident ;)

July
09-06-2014, 09:20
Hikers and cyclists should always yield to horses on a multiuse trail, but that's a matter of safety not simply a courtesy. Horses are flighty 1400lb animals and you want to give them some space for the sake of everyone involved.. Also, if you encounter a rider while on a trail or switchback on a hill, always step off the trail on the downhill side, in the event that the horse gets spooked, they will almost always run uphill.

Pretty good advice. Recently was approached by half dozen riders on horseback, so I stepped few feet off trail and spoke several yards before passing so as not to spook. Some horses can be very sensitive on tight trails.

Pedaling Fool
09-06-2014, 09:23
Etiquette is a waste of time in such a large community of users, because people's idea of "manners" differ so much. A good example is this topic of hikers going up/down hill, who gives way.

We can't even decide on that and we WB'ers are just a fraction of who's out on the trails.

Me, I'll just continue doing the same thing, step off the trail and keep walking...damn trails are too narrow any way.:)

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 09:23
Uphill hikers should be granted the right of way.
Downhill runners should be granted the right of way.

When you mix runners and hikers you know there's gonna be an accident ;)...long as it happens off the trail I don't care. :D

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 09:26
Etiquette is a waste of time in such a large community of users, because people's idea of "manners" differ so much. A good example is this topic of hikers going up/down hill, who gives way.

We can't even decide on that and we WB'ers are just a fraction of who's out on the trails.

Me, I'll just continue doing the same thing, step off the trail and keep walking...damn trails are too narrow any way.:)
kinda same here...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRlsW0U4TmynAm6KoSpcm7mz3lufrZp oYjR_B-4l9y9XY3L7Gi3Q:www.rolandandromaine.com/images/dance_step.gif

Another Kevin
09-06-2014, 09:42
I tend to give way to the other hiker in any direction because I'm slower than everyone. After you, my dear Alphonse!

Twogears
09-06-2014, 09:59
98% of bicyclists are rude and will not yield to hikers. Another bad habit most of them have as well is to wait until they are right behind you before they say anything. Scares the crap out of you. They should make themselves know well in advance. Or, perhaps I am just jumpy......

lemon b
09-06-2014, 10:55
In thousands of miles of hiking. I have never had a yield issue with another hiker or trail runner. Which tells me we are a nice group of people. Did kinda feel guilty one time when walking up Mt Greylock and a group of youth were told by their leader to step aside for me. I got the feeling it was just a matter of their leader teaching manners because I was much older than the kids. My experience is that passing hikers usually give each other a smile, and the only little non issue is when we both want to yield.

Only minor issue I've ever seen is someone semi hogging break time at a nice viewing area. Even there I am more than happy to let a couple enjoy that special alone time. Most I'll ever say is hey " would you be kind enough to take my picture in front of the view? And, of course, will ask if they would like me to do the same. Never has any type of verbal conflict manifest itself.

Now sex in the middle of the trail? Thats a no no, but the few times I've run across that I just walk around wordless. Sometimes the youth among us overrides common sense. Had one couple later in the day express their embarrassment and tell me they learned a lesson the hard way. Also I've bumped into another hiker where neither of us could really see the other coming. We just checked to make sure we were both ok, knowing full well nobody was at fault.

Pedaling Fool
09-06-2014, 11:00
98% of bicyclists are rude and will not yield to hikers. Another bad habit most of them have as well is to wait until they are right behind you before they say anything. Scares the crap out of you. They should make themselves know well in advance. Or, perhaps I am just jumpy......
I'm a cyclists and I agree with you. I've seen the Lance-wannabes on MUPs coming around blind corners way too fast, expecting everyone to "make a hole". Even on the roads I see them continually blowing thru stopsigns/lights and expecting everyone to wait for them.

I hate to sterotype, but cyclists, sadly, do fit the sterotype of rude and take the notion of entitlement to a whole new level. Even David Suzuki hates them :D http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/27/david-suzuki-joins-chorus-of-activists-railing-against-scofflaw-cyclists-seen-to-be-ruining-it-for-everyone-else/

BTW, I'm a Lance-wannabe, very fast rider, but I do it all on the road, never on MUPs, not even on roads where my speed would be such to cause me to be dangerous.

Coffee
09-06-2014, 11:59
That was not my experience on the Colorado Trail. Most bikers were courteous. I only had one slightly negative encounter and it wasn't a big deal. As far as I know, bikes aren't allowed anywhere on the AT.

fadedsun
09-06-2014, 11:59
I don't worry too much about etiquette and mostly just try to treat everyone with kindness. That seems to take care of things nicely.

This reminds me of the Red Stripe commercial: "total gridlock, man".

Mags
09-06-2014, 12:21
98% of bicyclists are rude and will not yield to hikers. A

Did you know 74.3% of all statistic are made up? :D

RED-DOG
09-06-2014, 12:35
I always Yield to Uphill hikers, and people seem to do the same for me, but sometimes they also try and step off the trail and it becomes kinda like who's gonna walk past who first.

Twogears
09-06-2014, 13:47

You've hiked enough. Honestly how many bikers have actually yielded to you? I just did 15 days on the CT and did not have one biker yield. Now, not yielding is not to say that they weren't polite as they passed me. Two different observations here. My statement about them approaching from behind was true over that same 15 day period. They all wait until right up behind before excusing themselves to pass. I suppose they think that you hear them....? Hiker vs hiker is a non-issue. If you both yield, well that is an excuse to have a nice conversation....

bangorme
09-06-2014, 17:38
I tend to give way to the other hiker in any direction because I'm slower than everyone. After you, my dear Alphonse!

I'm the same. I like to yield as it's a handy excuse to rest.

Odd Man Out
09-06-2014, 20:23
This has come up here before (what hasn't?), so this is what I posted earlier...

Unfortunately it seems that convention for right of way is not the same for trail runners and hikers. http://www.trailrunner.com/news/trail_etiquette.htm states "Uphill runners yield to downhill runners in most situations." And from http://www.backpacker.com/prof-hike-...e/skills/15135 (http://www.backpacker.com/prof-hike-trail-etiquette/skills/15135) we learn that "If you’re descending a steep trail and you see hikers coming up, step off the path to let them pass."

So when a hiker meets a hiker or trail runner meets a trail runner, there's no problem. BUT, When a trail runner going uphill encounters a hiker going downhill, they yield to each other and just stand there all day waiting for the other one to pass. Or worse, when a trail runner going downhill encounters a hiker going uphill, neither yield. They collide, limp home, and whine on their respective Internet discussion fora about how rude the other population of trail users are.

July
09-06-2014, 20:29
This has come up here before (what hasn't?), so this is what I posted earlier...

Unfortunately it seems that convention for right of way is not the same for trail runners and hikers. http://www.trailrunner.com/news/trail_etiquette.htm states "Uphill runners yield to downhill runners in most situations." And from http://www.backpacker.com/prof-hike-...e/skills/15135 (http://www.backpacker.com/prof-hike-trail-etiquette/skills/15135) we learn that "If you’re descending a steep trail and you see hikers coming up, step off the path to let them pass."

So when a hiker meets a hiker or trail runner meets a trail runner, there's no problem. BUT, When a trail runner going uphill encounters a hiker going downhill, they yield to each other and just stand there all day waiting for the other one to pass. Or worse, when a trail runner going downhill encounters a hiker going uphill, neither yield. They collide, limp home, and whine on their respective Internet discussion fora about how rude the other population of trail users are.

Technically speaking, these scenario's could very well happen. It's like a dang DMV road test, cept for the trail ;)

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 20:36
Technically speaking, these scenario's could very well happen. It's like a dang DMV road test, cept for the trail ;)
...pretty soon we'll need a license and insurance to hike.

Sarcasm the elf
09-06-2014, 20:43
...pretty soon we'll need a license and insurance to hike.

Don't joke....

rocketsocks
09-06-2014, 20:47
Don't joke....
Crazy as it may seem, this time...I wasn't jokin' :eek:

Odd Man Out
09-06-2014, 21:29

And that 74.3% is significantly larger. ;)

jonrocmtn
09-06-2014, 21:31
Map man - thanks for remembering the trail workers!

Mags
09-07-2014, 10:21
You've hiked enough. Honestly how many bikers have actually yielded to you? I just did 15 days on the CT and did not have one biker yield. Now, not yielding is not to say that they weren't polite as they passed me. Two different observations here

Well..if we are going that route, I've probably hiked a lot more in Colorado than you. ;)

I had a much different experience and probably not your hyperbole of 98% to say the least.

I find if a a person is grumpy about a particular group on the trail, they tend to exaggerate the worst about them.

I, on the other hand, have a few mtbikers yield to me the other day. :)

I was really confused about my sense of trail "loyalty" when I did a Colorado Trail project. Horse people brought in the tools, hikers worked on the project and it all sponsored by a mountain bike group who maintain an ~20 mi stretch of the CT!

Sarcasm the elf
09-07-2014, 10:26
Well..if we are going that route, I've probably hiked a lot more in Colorado than you. ;)

I had a much different experience and probably not your hyperbole of 98% to say the least.

I find if a a person is grumpy about a particular group on the trail, they tend to exaggerate the worst about them.

I was really confused about my sense of trail "loyalty" when I did a Colorado Trail project. Horse people brought in the tools, hikers worked on the project and it all sponsored by a mountain bike group who maintain an ~20 mi stretch of the CT!

Sure sure, keep bragging about your awesome multi-use trails... I've been told that i'm not allowed to move out there. :(

rocketsocks
09-07-2014, 10:49
Sure sure, keep bragging about your awesome multi-use trails... I've been told that i'm not allowed to move out there. :(
I heard your already there...ya just don't know it yet.

Twogears
09-07-2014, 11:23

You live in CO so it would be natural to have hiked more there than I. But my comments about bikers isn't specific to CO (although my earlier example did ref. CO). Any trail that I have hiked that allows bikers has netted the same experience. Sections of the TRT (on their allotted days) come to mind. Remember that I haven't said that they weren't polite (most at least say thank you as they pass), simply that they don't yield as required. One comment you made stands out to reinforce my observation. That being that a "few" mtbikers yielded to you. Shouldn't, at least, most of them have yielded? Not knowing the specifics of each meeting makes this difficult for me to surmise. So, I have to go back to my own observations....

Oh, for the record, I am not particularly grumpy. I am retired and hike about as much as I want (or sometimes as little). And, once I was guilty of not yielding to a horseman (well really a horsewoman but I believe that the term horseman is not gender specific). But that is another story.

map man
09-07-2014, 12:31
I find that how I interpret mountain biker behavior has a lot to do with my own mood -- if I get out of the way of a fast moving biker and he says as he passes, "there are four more coming," if I'm feeling good I think, "I'm glad he gave me a heads up" and if I am tired and cranky I think to myself, "great, I suppose they expect me to stand here for the whole train of them." I'm sure folks know what I mean.

I've done a lot of hiking and no mountain biking but it seems to me that it takes a lot less effort for a hiker to take a step or two off the trail than for a biker to go to the greater effort of dismounting and then finding a way to get both herself and her bike off the trail in tight spots.

Mags
09-07-2014, 18:29
Still sound grumpy to me...and still making up 73.85% of the statistics. ;)

Coffee
09-07-2014, 18:51
I'm not sure what the official rules are but if a mountain bike is coming towards me, I have no issues yielding to it. I actually did have a bike yield to me as the rider was going uphill and needed a break. For bikes coming toward my back, I want to hear a shout out before the bike is on my heels and it is courteous to let me know how many more bikes to expect. What irritates me the most is to have a bike on my heels with no audible sound at all from the rider. That's just plain rude and dangerous.

Where I DO have a problem with bikes is on local running trails where the weekend road bike warriors think they are riding the Tour De France and often exhibit zero courtesy whatsoever, but this is in an urban area where there is little courtesy in general anywhere. Life is better and people are more courteous in rural towns and on wilderness trails.

Mfrenchy
09-07-2014, 19:21
Here's a situation I've run into a few times. When you are on foot and over taking someone else on foot, what is a good way to notify the people in front of you that you are approaching and would like to pass? While thru hiking I ran into this situation enough times that I experimented with different techniques. Tried saying, "Hi, how are ya?" When near enough and mostly ended up frightening people. Tried waiting till they heard me and still frightened them. Finally settled on clacking hiking poles together while still a good distance away.

Now, as a day hiker I seem to get stuck behind groups and either have to slow down or stop, because courtesy seems less common.

~Frenchy

10-K
09-07-2014, 19:53
Here's a situation I've run into a few times. When you are on foot and over taking someone else on foot, what is a good way to notify the people in front of you that you are approaching and would like to pass? While thru hiking I ran into this situation enough times that I experimented with different techniques. Tried saying, "Hi, how are ya?" When near enough and mostly ended up frightening people. Tried waiting till they heard me and still frightened them. Finally settled on clacking hiking poles together while still a good distance away.

Now, as a day hiker I seem to get stuck behind groups and either have to slow down or stop, because courtesy seems less common.

~Frenchy

I clack my poles together to make some noise that lets them know I'm behind them and 99% of the time they move aside if they see I'm closing in on them.

Coffee
09-07-2014, 19:59
I will make noise with my poles but that's ineffective sometimes. When the hiker is wearing headphones it gets really tricky. But once someone is aware of the fact that I'm behind them and going faster, they nearly always either yield or stop to talk. Over the past couple of years, I can only recall a couple of situations where I had to verbally ask to be allowed to pass.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-07-2014, 20:10
I always step aside when I am going uphill because I could use the rest!

Other bits of etiquette: don't make a lot of noise in camp after dark if others are around; don't wash your dishes in streams or ponds/lakes; always leave some kind of payment at a hostel even if payment is "optional"; don't quiz women hikers about their destination or about whether they are hiking alone; practice a "live and let live" ethic toward wildlife you encounter (don't prod snakes to get a reaction or bother/stalk other wildlife to get that perfect camera shot); don't try to "save" spots in a shelter or choice tenting sites for your hiking buddies -- it should be first-come-first-served; always say a kind word or two to trail workers.

Nice list Map Man.

I'm with on stepping aside for those going downhill. I can always use a break likewise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd Man Out
09-07-2014, 20:35

~Frenchy

I've never had this problem as I am slower than 73.85% of hikers and a lot slower than the other 26.15%, so I never pass anyone. But as I am used to being passed by others, I won't be offended by you overtaking me.

Twogears
09-07-2014, 21:28
I clack my poles together to make some noise that lets them know I'm behind them and 99% of the time they move aside if they see I'm closing in on them.

Careful now, the statistics Nazis might be reading. :) The little smiley thing is for Mags. Just as an aside, I don't usually do little smiley things and to be honest I really don't know what the different colored little smiley things mean.

shelb
09-07-2014, 22:59
I clack my poles together

Lol... This sentence reminded me of the movie "Parent Trap" where the twins tricked the lady into thinking she needed to walk around clacking sticks together to keep the mountain lions away:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0HgUBWiR7o

Shutterbug
09-07-2014, 23:19
Don't wear bear bells when you are not in bear country!!!

illabelle
09-08-2014, 05:43
Here's a situation I've run into a few times. When you are on foot and over taking someone else on foot, what is a good way to notify the people in front of you that you are approaching and would like to pass?

You know, you could sneak up behind them, then make a snorting growling snarl and watch them leap away in terror. That'll teach 'em!
:D

daddytwosticks
09-08-2014, 07:06
I'm a pole clacker too! Also a loud throat clearer. :)

Pedaling Fool
09-08-2014, 07:58
Still sound grumpy to me...and still making up 73.85% of the statistics. ;)Why does everyone hate grumpy people. Grumpy and proud of it
:D

Offshore
09-08-2014, 08:34

I tend to to be a fast hiker. When approaching someone from behind, I make some noise with my poles, which I'm usually clacking together when hiking alone in bear territory anyway. As I get closer just say "Coming up on your left" and pass them. Statistically, I never had a problem. Now if someone is wearing headphones, they've voluntarily ceded their situational awareness, so I don't feel too bad if they get startled.

Old Grouse
09-08-2014, 09:16
Now if someone is wearing headphones, they've voluntarily ceded their situational awareness, so I don't feel too bad if they get startled.

Excellent point!

July
09-08-2014, 09:24
I'm a pole clacker too! Also a loud throat clearer. :)

OK, I give, I'm July, and I'm a pole clacker. I started at a young age, and could just never quit. It always seemed like the thing to do. I started with wood, and through the years have clacked everything from Al to steel, and recently CF. Don't know what this World's coming to...

jjozgrunt
09-08-2014, 09:40
Here's a situation I've run into a few times. When you are on foot and over taking someone else on foot, what is a good way to notify the people in front of you that you are approaching and would like to pass? While thru hiking I ran into this situation enough times that I experimented with different techniques. Tried saying, "Hi, how are ya?" When near enough and mostly ended up frightening people. Tried waiting till they heard me and still frightened them. Finally settled on clacking hiking poles together while still a good distance away. ~Frenchy

I suppose coming up behind them and yelling "Stand aside or bear a child" would be considered inappropriate in the states? :D I think I'm going to have to continue to study American Trail Etiquette and possibly, just possibly, change some of my ways!

Moose

Offshore
09-08-2014, 09:41
OK, I give, I'm July, and I'm a pole clacker. I started at a young age, and could just never quit. It always seemed like the thing to do. I started with wood, and through the years have clacked everything from Al to steel, and recently CF. Don't know what this World's coming to...

I find that I don't get that satisfying clack when using my carbon fiber poles. May be time to glue some stainless steel "clacking surfaces" onto them...(Are you listening, Black Diamond?)

rocketsocks
09-08-2014, 10:04
I find that I don't get that satisfying clack when using my carbon fiber poles. May be time to glue some stainless steel "clacking surfaces" onto them...(Are you listening, Black Diamond?)
I have a bicycle bell on my trek poles. I love using it when I pass cyclers, really pisses them off :D

flemdawg1
09-08-2014, 10:33
I suppose coming up behind them and yelling "Stand aside or bear a child" would be considered inappropriate in the states? :D I think I'm going to have to continue to study American Trail Etiquette and possibly, just possibly, change some of my ways!

Moose

I did that once, my wife was really mad though when I came back from a hike and had given away all our kids.

Sarcasm the elf
09-08-2014, 10:51
I have a bicycle bell on my trek poles. I love using it when I pass cyclers, really pisses them off :D

Brilliant!

Gambit McCrae
09-08-2014, 10:51
Putting non paper products in the fire....someone might want to cook over that darn fire!

smoking dope in the shelter

being loud after someone beds down

gear bragger/ tech freak

talkin on the phone in a common space like hostel porch or shelter

Gambit McCrae
09-08-2014, 10:54
Oh and when I see stuff left out in the great outdoor like pans, dirty socks, worn out shoes I hear a voice saying " Oh i dont need this anymore Ill just leave it here" Burns me up!
Took only picutres, leave only footprints

squeezebox
09-08-2014, 11:15
When I pass someone on the bicycle path, I say YO!! rather loudly a way from them, repeat as necessary, louder each time. very loudly if necessary.
If no response a hand on their shoulder so they don't crash you when passing.
Personally I think loud music in earphones interferes with everyones safety on the bicycle, running, hiking paths

MelissaW
11-21-2014, 11:37

I would think my panting, wheezing, and heavy breathing would be enough to notify them. ;) Or perhaps the sound of me stumbling over rocks, sticks, and roots.

freightliner
11-21-2014, 15:57
I would think my panting, wheezing, and heavy breathing would be enough to notify them. ;) Or perhaps the sound of me stumbling over rocks, sticks, and roots.
This would get my attention

Night Train
11-23-2014, 19:24
No rules, just use good judgement and common courtesy.

Lyle
11-23-2014, 21:56
Yeah, this generally is the rule if there is one.

In practice, since any hill steep enough to be of consequence will tend to be in "rougher" terrain, which ever person has the easiest spot to step out of the way normally does so. Not something that is a big deal, usually one or the other just steps aside and smiles.

Sarcasm the elf
11-23-2014, 22:22
No rules, just use good judgement and common courtesy.

But if everyone took that advice, then what would we argue about online? :D

misprof
11-23-2014, 22:42
Please go to the bathroom off the trail and bury your TP too. Usually in areas that have a lot of day hikers there is TP on the trail. Gross.

rocketsocks
11-23-2014, 23:35

In practice, since any hill steep enough to be of consequence will tend to be in "rougher" terrain, which ever person has the easiest spot to step out of the way normally does so. Not something that is a big deal, usually one or the other just steps aside and smiles.
This...all day long.

Traveler
11-24-2014, 07:03

I was taught early in hiking etiquette that the uphill hiker has the right of way and to step aside if I am going downhill. It is up to the uphill hiker if they yield it to the downhill hiker. Additionally the slower hiker has the right of way when being passed by a faster one. I know I sure appreciate when I have developed an uphill pace and don't have to break it for people coming downhill.

rickb
11-24-2014, 08:16
Additionally the slower hiker has the right of way when being passed by a faster one.

That's a new one on me.

lemon b
11-25-2014, 22:20
Fadedsun made a good point. Use kindness. Night train also good judgement and common courtesy.
Treating others as we want to be treated ourselves. Very rarely do I go where MT Bikers go. Have the feeling they may have equipment issues and safety issues very different from hikers.