PDA

View Full Version : Water report: Davenport Gap to Hot Springs

10-K
09-07-2014, 06:36
My wife and I returned last night from an overnighter on the 36 mile stretch of the AT between Davenport Gap and Hot Springs.

We had a page out of the 2011 AT Guide for that section and all listed water sources were flowing well. So... no water worries here.... If I were to hike it again I wouldn't carry more than a pint at any given time.

Trail was in good condition - a few blowdowns but nothing serious. There was a trail crew trimming the bushes away from the trail on the bald atop Snowbird which was much appreciated.

I continue to be dumbfounded by the amount of litter.

hikernutcasey
09-07-2014, 08:05
The level of litter is definitely nuts. I did Erwin to Hwy 19 in June and the areas around the shelters looked like a dump. Not to mention the ridiculous amounts of toilet paper sticking out of the ground. I attributed it to the thru hiker season just ending there but it's just sad that so many have so little regard for the trail.

10-K
09-07-2014, 08:08
You have to ask yourself: Why would anyone litter in the woods. What are people thinking when they do that? It's such an obvious wrong thing to do that when you do it, you consciously know you're doing something that isn't right.

I can rationalize almost anything I want to do but I don't think I could get past that one no matter how hard I tried.

Edited to add: Walnut Mt. shelter, or maybe it was Roaring Fork... can't remember... has a large bag of trash hanging from the bear cables. My wife asked me who was going to carry that out. I didn't really have an answer for her.

But... water is NO problem. :)

saltysack
09-07-2014, 10:13
You have to ask yourself: Why would anyone litter in the woods. What are people thinking when they do that? It's such an obvious wrong thing to do that when you do it, you consciously know you're doing something that isn't right.

I can rationalize almost anything I want to do but I don't think I could get past that one no matter how hard I tried.

Edited to add: Walnut Mt. shelter, or maybe it was Roaring Fork... can't remember... has a large bag of trash hanging from the bear cables. My wife asked me who was going to carry that out. I didn't really have an answer for her.

But... water is NO problem. :)

It makes no sense why anyone leaves there trash in the woods..all I do is try to pack out what I can to leave the area better than I found it...I always end up carrying several pounds of other people trash out on every hike... If everyone would do this the trail would be a lot cleaner....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quasarr
09-07-2014, 11:13
How cold was it getting at night? Would a fleece blanket do the trick? :)

10-K
09-07-2014, 11:15
How cold was it getting at night? Would a fleece blanket do the trick? :)

Easily. I had a 40* quilt draped over me and was plenty warm.