PDA

View Full Version : DWG to Boiling Springs - Early November?

Coffee
09-08-2014, 08:46
I'm looking for a section of the AT to hike in early November in about a week to ten days. My default idea at the moment is to hike through Shenandoah National Park but I've already hiked the entire AT through the park in a section hike this spring as well as a number of parts of the AT in the park many times before. It would be a nice walk but something I've done before. One alternative idea would be to finish Pennsylvania by hiking from Delaware Water Gap to Boiling Springs (or the reverse) since I've already completed southern PA. Would northern/central PA make for a nice section in early November? I wouldn't expect any fall colors at that time either in SNP or in PA. My schedule unfortunately prevents me from timing the section for peak colors. If I thought that any part of the AT would offer fall colors in early November, I'd be willing to consider traveling further for the hike. The thing I like about DWG to Boiling Springs is that I can get to DWG by public transportation and I know of a good shuttle service in Boiling Springs so that I could easily get into Harrisburg at the start or end of the hike.

fredmugs
09-08-2014, 09:19
The only comment I would make is to know what hunting season(s) may be in effect during your hike. A lot of the AT goes thru PA state game lands. Dress accordingly.

Coffee
09-08-2014, 09:21
I figure that I'd be wearing blaze orange throughout the hike if I opt for PA given how much of the trail goes through state game lands.

ki0eh
09-08-2014, 10:47
Newly fallen leaves on the rocks with rain will be slick, too.

hikernutcasey
09-08-2014, 11:12
I have heard through the grapevine that northeast PA has been pretty dry this summer and the water sources in the area are suspect. I don't have a first hand account though, perhaps someone who does could chime in? I seem to remember reading that on a recent thread.

ki0eh
09-09-2014, 10:16
The springs closest to the ridgetop A.T., come from shallow aquifers that respond quickly to rain, especially after the growing season ends. Plus, on average we get one extratropical storm system in eastern PA between now and early November. Water isn't as much a concern then as the hunters.