PDA

View Full Version : The Birches Campsite.

flemdawg1
09-08-2014, 12:53
I returned a week ago from my Maine Section hike and I didn't see much about this place on WB so I thought I'd add it.

The Birches is Baxter State Park's campsite for Long Distance hikers (If you completed the 100mw you qualify) and beginning SOBO's. It consists of a wooden tent platform (~20x20), 2 6-person lean-to/shelters, a large picnic table, a nice firering bench, and a pit toilet (with toilet paper). You are only allowed to spend 1 night and the cost is $10 per person. Collect water at the Katahdin Stream by the Ranger Station, that's where you'll register. The ranger station also sells firewood. BSP is a bit weird in that there are no trash cans (that I saw anyway), water faucets, electric outlets (that I saw) or vending machines. Nor did I see a campstore. So if you are entering NOBO, buy your favorite beverages at Abol Bridge.

TJ aka Teej
09-08-2014, 23:19
The "weird" is why we love it. The "lack" of such things are a condition of Gov. Baxter's gift to the people of Maine.

Rocket Jones
09-09-2014, 06:11
My local state park removed all trash cans several years ago, and put up signs reminding folks to take their trash home with them. It mostly works.

HighLiner
09-09-2014, 20:12
We stayed at Katadhin Stream, reserving the lean-to for $30 per night. With 4 of us we saved a little money. Katadhin was incredible!