PDA

View Full Version : GA Shelter/Water Source between Low Gap and Blue Mtn?

simeo
09-08-2014, 15:24
Howdy, I'm going on a 4 day trip leaving on Thursday from Woody Gap to Unicoi Gap. First night I'll be at Blood Mtn Shelter (No water source), second night Whitley Gap Shelter (water source), and then for the third night I'd like to stop somewhere between Low Gap Shelter and Blue Mtn Shelter but I'm not sure where.

Where are the water sources in this area? It's a 7 mile stretch between Low Gap and Blue Mtn Shelters.

If I stop at Low Gap that means I've only hiked 4 miles the third day and I'll need to hike 9 miles on Sunday to Unicoi Gap. I'm so so on this but I'd like to know where the water is.

If I stop at Blue Mtn that means I only have 2.5 miles to Unicoi Gap on Sunday but I need to hike 12 miles on Saturday. I'd prefer not to do this option.

I would prefer to stop somewhere between Low Gap and Chattahoochee Gap.

Any advice on where I should stop on the third evening? How's the water sources in this area? I'm hammock camping so I'm using water sources as my destination and don't "need" a shelter. Thank you!

AO2134
09-08-2014, 15:40
I recently did Springer to Unicoi as a 3 1/2 day hike. Also had to backhike 7.3 miles to get my dropped camera.

Based on your projected pace/plan:

Day 1 Water: Lance Creek (~3 miles in From Woody). No water for next 5ish miles. Slaughter Creek Trail, spring right on AT. No water passed this point. *Consider pushing passed blood mountain shelter and stay night at hostel at Neel Gap. This would be about a 8-10 mile day.

Day 2 Water: Get a lot of water outside of hostel as this is last water source for a while. I did not spend night at Whitley Gap Shelter, I pushed passed it. There is little to no water between beginning of your hike and whitley Gap Shelter (since I didn't stop, I can't say there is water there). Remember that this shelter is more than 1.5 miles from the trail. Total miles this day 10-11 miles.

Day 3 Water: Little to no water between Whitley Gap Shelter and Low Gap Shelter. If you have a water supply at Whitley, resupply fully and rehydrate fully at Whitley. Resupply water at Low Gap Shelter. I didn't stop at Blue Mt Shelter, so I don't know what situation.

Day 4 Water: Some very small springs on AT between Low Gap and Unicoi. Not flowing to well, but it was flowing. I had to refill my water oz at a time, but I was able too. I would carry more water with me from Low Gap Shelter.

I would consider increasing your carrying capacity just in case. Better to carry and not need water, than to need and not have water. There are some very dry areas after Neel Gap.

Safe trip and happy hiking.

Oh, I did my hike over labor day weekend fyi.

illabelle
09-08-2014, 15:42
Simeo, we went from Neels to Dicks Creek over the Labor Day weekend. Our experience was that water sources through this area were mostly seeps and trickles, and often down a steep hill. So if you find usable water close to the trail, don't pass it up. You should know that Whitley Gap Shelter is 1.2 miles off the trail, and the water source is another 0.3 down a steep hill after the shelter. We didn't go there, but we heard reports.

I'm using AWOL's 2013 guide, and my comments are in reference to water sources noted on it (with his NOBO mileage).
There is a good flow of water at Low Gap Shelter. Shelter is a short walk off the trail, and water is a stream close by.
We camped at Poplar Stamp Gap (44.6), but did not check the water source as we had plenty from Low Gap.
We did not see a spring at 45.3.
AWOL says "several streams in area" around 46.6. We saw some moisture seeping across the trail. Didn't see anything we would have called a stream.
Chattahoochee Gap (48.2) is supposed to have water - half a mile downhill. We didn't go see how wet it was.
Former site of Rocky Knob (49.6) - didn't see water here.
Spring at 49.8 was low volume but adequate. It was down a short slope. We filled up.
Water at Blue Mtn Shelter is a small stream 0.1 before the shelter. We didn't use it, but it looked okay and was close to the trail.

simeo
09-08-2014, 16:33
Thank you for the info! I don't have the AWOL guide but your NOBO Mileage is off from the elevation profile I do have on hand. Poplar Stomp Gap is at 43m, Low Gap at 41.6. So I'm wondering if the miles your giving me will be what I'm looking at here....

How much water did you guys carry?

AO2134
09-08-2014, 16:41
Thank you for the info! I don't have the AWOL guide but your NOBO Mileage is off from the elevation profile I do have on hand. Poplar Stomp Gap is at 43m, Low Gap at 41.6. So I'm wondering if the miles your giving me will be what I'm looking at here....

How much water did you guys carry?

I carried between 2-3 liters always, although for day 1 you won't need that much. Day 1 you could easily get away with 1 liter. If you plan to spend the night on blood carry up enough water to cook and rehydrate. Fill back up at Neel Gap hostel spicket (to right of store). From Neel gap on I would carry at least 3 liters of water. I had the capacity to carry 5 liters, but never really carried more than 3 1/2 liters.

I do drink a lot though.

soumodeler
09-08-2014, 16:45
There is water at Swaim Gap a few miles north of Neels Gap. There is also water at Hogpen Gap (1/2 mile North of Whitley Gap Shelter) with a little water. Water at Blue Mountain Shelter (a couple hundred feet south of shelter on AT).

I would not count on the "several springs" on the trail between Low Gap Shelter and Chattahoochee Gap. They were barely there last week even after rains. You might be able to fill up a little, but it would take you a while to do so.

I hiked Amicalola to Unicoi Sept 1-5.