PDA

View Full Version : Esbit and FBC question

punchcard
09-08-2014, 19:35
I did a little test today comparing the caldera keg vs the toaks 550 combo with 2 cups of water. I cracked a 14g esbit in half and put one half in each stove. They both lasted right on 10 mins - the caldera got to 170* and the toaks to 164*.

The question: is that hot enough for most freezer bag cooking?

Btw my thoughts on the two systems:

-the caldera is more efficient but I hate the idea of the dirty cone being stored unprotected in my pot. The caddy is too deep for an fbc cozy so it's essentially dead weight. The insulation is worthless and it's difficult to handle when hot - a carbon felt sleeve would have been a lot nicer.

-the toaks system is nice and light, a little less efficient on a calm day and you need to cut the wind screen to have it fit correctly.

Overall I like the toaks setup better.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/08/8af616e49f52b223b57739f330aa67cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nastynate
09-08-2014, 20:33
Not sure if those temps are hot enough. I would imagine it would depend on ambient temperature and the r value of your cozy. I have the toaks setup. I start with a full tab. Bring my water to almost boiling, remove pot, blow out tab, pour in Ziploc. I use the leftover tab for a hot beverage. Works great since neither need to be at a full boil.

Deacon
09-08-2014, 21:35
I use the Foster's Caldera Keg all the time, just to heat 16 oz of water for FBCing. I've found that it isn't necessary to get to a 212* rolling boil to rehydrate food. I'm not sure what the temperatures are, but sometimes I finish the bits of unused Esbit that are less than 14 grams. The meals still rehydrate fine, as long as you use a good cozy.

Rocket Jones
09-09-2014, 06:14
You're looking for a 'near boil' for your FBC water. I wouldn't think that those temps are hot enough, but you might be ok if you let the food rehydrate longer in a really efficient cozy.

rocketsocks
09-09-2014, 08:11
I never bring anything to a boil anymore, seems to work fine with a little longer soak time. Nothin' like al dente veggies in my soup.

Another Kevin
09-09-2014, 09:00
I don't mind all that much storing the windscreen in my pot. I figure that my pot is getting hot enough to sanitize it every time I boil. (But I do boil, because I usually cook with untreated water.)

punchcard
07-06-2015, 19:13
It depends what you are cooking. Couscous - yes, minute rice - yes, Quaker oatmeal packets - yes, zatarans - no, 5 min steel cut oats - no.

You'll either need to burn more, wait longer and be ok with warmish food or be more selective in what you eat.

I've taken the selective approach.

zelph
07-10-2015, 22:43
BGET/Brian Green Esbit Tray will increase efficiency.

Starchild
07-11-2015, 07:13
The saying is big bubbles no troubles, that temperature may not be hot enough to kill all the nasties and 164F may not represent the temperature at the surface, most likely the bottom. Add to that a slight breeze, perhaps a little too much water, damp ground, inefficient use of esbit and or cold temperatures, and your water temps may end up even lower.

I would consider alternate use of the esbit, using a little more, adding a small piece near the end seemes to help a lot.

mtnkngxt
08-12-2015, 19:38
Does anyone make the fosters can caldera in titanium?

Dochartaigh
08-12-2015, 20:38

Trail Designs can I believe - email them if it's not on their site. It'll be heavier than the aluminum one though.

zelph
08-16-2015, 14:28

Trail Designs does make one for Gossamer Gear. Gossamer Gear is suppose to be coming out with a kit for esbit to include the cone and special foster pot.