PDA

View Full Version : Arrival Plans

krawler
09-08-2014, 21:50
Hello, I am from Pa and was wondering, bc ppl from all over come to hike the AT What are your arrival plans? Are you coming by bus, a friend or relative driving you, Flying to a airport? If you fly to a airport or take a bus, How do you get to the access trail from airport or bus station?

denefi
09-08-2014, 22:07
Hey Krawler, I'm up in the air on whether I'll be flying down from Boston or having a family member drive me to the trailhead. If I fly, though, I'll probably enlist one of the many shuttle services that are available. Check out this post (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?52282-AT-Shuttle-List-(ATC)) in the Trail Heads and Shuttles forum. They link to this site (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/transportation), but there looks to be a lot of info in that area of White Blaze where people have hashed this over. I'm sure others here will chime in as well.

My understanding is that the shuttles that cater to hikers will get you to the trailhead. Unsure on buses, though.

krawler
09-08-2014, 23:29
Hey Denefi, Thanks for the info, and the links. What is your start date?

Aussie Legs
09-09-2014, 08:32
My Mum, sister and I are flying over from Australia... we're thinking of flying in to L.A. and spending a few days with friends, getting over jet lag and getting food and last minute gear sorted. We then plan to fly into Atlanta and are tossing up whether to make use of the "Hiker Hostel" shuttle, or take up a couple on their offer to transport us to the trailhead (they emailed me after reading my blog - first trail magic!).

jjozgrunt
09-09-2014, 09:44
Pretty much the same as Aussie legs except I'm doing the flights Brisbane - LA - Atlanta all in one day. Spend a couple of days in Atlanta recovering and getting some gas and food then Marta to North Springs, and pick up by the Hiker Hostel shuttle. Stay overnight and start walking 13th Mar.

OldNorth
09-09-2014, 10:33
Hey Krawler, I'm up in the air on whether I'll be flying down from Boston or having a family member drive me to the trailhead. If I fly, though, I'll probably enlist one of the many shuttle services that are available. Check out this post (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?52282-AT-Shuttle-List-(ATC)) in the Trail Heads and Shuttles forum. They link to this site (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/transportation), but there looks to be a lot of info in that area of White Blaze where people have hashed this over. I'm sure others here will chime in as well. My understanding is that the shuttles that cater to hikers will get you to the trailhead. Unsure on buses, though. Amtrak will take you to Gainesville, GA. That's my plan.

denefi
09-09-2014, 10:39
Hey Denefi, Thanks for the info, and the links. What is your start date?

No problem. I'm planning to start right before or on 5/1. You?

Busfoot
09-09-2014, 12:01
My wife will be driving me from Denver. We plan on staying at Hiker Hostel one night before I hit the approach trail. Is it March yet??

YesRushGen
09-09-2014, 13:42
Plan on driving to the Hiker Hostel with a friend on March 11th, then being dropped off near Springer Mountain parking area to start on March 12th.

Pretty much the same as Aussie legs except I'm doing the flights Brisbane - LA - Atlanta all in one day. Spend a couple of days in Atlanta recovering and getting some gas and food then Marta to North Springs, and pick up by the Hiker Hostel shuttle. Stay overnight and start walking 13th Mar.

Bummer- I'll miss you by only a day!

Caddywhompus
09-09-2014, 16:59
Amtrak will take you to Gainesville, GA. That's my plan.

Thank you very much for posting this. I had been planning to Greyhound it down. Didn't even think the train was an option.

krawler
09-09-2014, 18:33
I am planning to start on March 15, that's not set in stone though. If it changes it will be the first week of march.
No problem. I'm planning to start right before or on 5/1. You?

KillerKarma
09-09-2014, 18:46
I'm starting mid to late March and I'm still ironing out my exact plans. Right now the plan is to visit my brother in Florida for a few days and then make my way up to GA to get started. Not sure about the transport from FL to GA. Probably a bus/train. Might skip the whole trip to Florida in the end. So basically I am just lurking and not contributing. Haha.

OldNorth
09-09-2014, 20:16
Thank you very much for posting this. I had been planning to Greyhound it down. Didn't even think the train was an option. You're very welcome. Best of luck on your hike!

mattjv89
09-10-2014, 21:22
Probably Amtrak to Gainesville, then either shuttling or a ride from a friend of a friend if it works out. It'll be a 24 hour train ride but cheaper than flying and I'd really hate for the airline to lose my pack.

denefi
09-10-2014, 23:04
Probably Amtrak to Gainesville, then either shuttling or a ride from a friend of a friend if it works out. It'll be a 24 hour train ride but cheaper than flying and I'd really hate for the airline to lose my pack.

This is my #1 concern about flying. It actually looks to be about $100 more for me to take the train than fly (excluding whatever fees/taxes are added on, which might be higher for a flight), but it might be worth it for peace of mind. I considered asking my family to drive me down from Boston, but that would be significantly more expensive once hotel rooms, food, gas and tolls were factored in.

Del Q
09-11-2014, 20:51
As a section hiker I am pretty fired up about completed everything south of NH starting April 2nd.

Hike North to Franklin and get ready for the NOBO completion next year....................

CrumbSnatcher
09-11-2014, 23:55
my first thruhike i drove my old truck from Nebraska out east and sold it in Dahlonega GA. then had the guy drop me & my dog off at the start of the approach trail :-)

KillerKarma
09-12-2014, 09:39
my first thruhike i drove my old truck from Nebraska out east and sold it in Dahlonega GA. then had the guy drop me & my dog off at the start of the approach trail :-)
That sounds like something I'd do. Lol. I was thinking about selling my car right before the trail. Hmm...

Coffee
09-12-2014, 09:47

Pack up the items in your pack that cannot be carried onto the plane and send them to Georgia (either a PO or hostel) using priority mail so you get tracking information. Also send any starting food. This will allow your pack to be carried on by removing prohibited items and reducing the size of the pack. I used this approach for the first time recently and it worked great. Note that if you happen to fly on a smaller commuter jet, the overhead bin may be too small in which case the airline will gate check your bag. I never stress over gate checks since the bag is going right into the plane. In fact, I've often been able to see the baggage handlers take my bag and load it into the plane.

A 24 hour train ride isn't something I'd want to do right before starting a long hike, unless I was in a sleeping compartment, and then you're talking some serious money...

Coffee
09-12-2014, 09:48
Note on possible gate-check of pack ... I took a large laundry bag and put my pack into it before gate checking it to avoid having the straps get caught in something. You can either dispose of the laundry bag when you get to the trail or put it in your bounce box, if you have one.

CrumbSnatcher
09-12-2014, 10:37
That sounds like something I'd do. Lol. I was thinking about selling my car right before the trail. Hmm...
makes for a fun road trip! i stopped at a Liquor store to ask about a car lot, the clerk said his vehicle just quit and was looking for something, ask me to wait around so a friend of his(law man)could stop by and check it out. he didn't even check out the truck, they were inside for a long time then came out with concerns that they couldn't find out any info on the truck, they actually ran the plates. he said" we couldn't find any info on your Alabama license plates, i said kind of hard when they are Nebraska tags. after a few more minutes and waiting for him to get off work, he test drove it while driving me & my dog to the trail. he was grinding the crap out of the gears, saying i don't know? i told him it was a newer tranny, and that he needed to get used to it. dropped us off and paid me in cash

KillerKarma
09-12-2014, 10:43
makes for a fun road trip!

...and a great story too!

Daddyjim
09-13-2014, 20:41
Flying into Atlanta Feb 20 start hiking Feb 21 God willing and weather permitting!

Old Hiker
09-13-2014, 21:34
2016 - renting a car in FL, driving to Gainesville 27 Feb, overnight at a motel, then the Hiker Hostel shuttle to the hostel overnight 28 Feb - with a 29 Feb start at Springer. Enterprise has a place right near the MARTA station Hiker Hostel uses.

Renting a car is cheaper than airfare or Amtrak, plus I can take my time going up. The train in 2012 was pretty neat, but took WAY too long. Went to DC, then back down.

OnThePath
09-16-2014, 21:29
Hi Krawler, I'm not to far from you. I actually go for wings in tamaqua. My cousin and I are planning on getting on the trail in the first couple weeks of march (we don't have an exact date set). I just moved back to Pa. I live not far from Hazleton. My cousin lives in Madison, Wi. He is gonna fly out here and I'm thinking of having a friend drive my vehicle down and splitting the gas.

krawler
09-16-2014, 22:16
OnthePath, Sent u a pm..

Tgosborne782
09-28-2014, 19:59

Staying overnight in Gainesville but where do you get shuttle to get to AF or Springer,Mt? Will it get you there for early leave? Or just plan on staying at Hiker Hotel instead of Gainesville?

Frank_the_cat
09-28-2014, 22:12
Fortunately I have some friends in ATL that I'm going to eat my "final" meal with before they drive me to the trails.

BUT, my 75 year old grandma is jealous I'm doing the trail, so she called me up the other day and asked if she could do the Approach trail with me. I would give anything to do that with her, so my plans may be changing. Side note: I have a seriously kick ass grandmother.

mattjv89
09-29-2014, 10:45
Staying overnight in Gainesville but where do you get shuttle to get to AF or Springer,Mt? Will it get you there for early leave? Or just plan on staying at Hiker Hotel instead of Gainesville?

There are a number of shuttle providers that will run from Gainesville to Springer/AF, I haven't seriously started looking at which one yet. Or I may be able to get picked up by a friend of my cousin's that lives in the area. I'm not sure what you mean by getting there for early leave? I'll figure out where I'm spending the night when I get the train ticket as I have no idea what time I'll be arriving in Gainesville.

Jeff
09-29-2014, 14:38
Yes...there are several great shuttle providers that do lots more than drive you. They have solid trail advise that will really help you. They also usually have stove fuel for sale.

Check with them before making your final airline purchase. It would be a shame if the shuttle provider is booked on the day you need their services.

Here are two really good ones:

http://www.atsurvivordave.com/

https://www.facebook.com/ron.brown.798?fref=ts

hazmat
10-02-2014, 22:39
I'm all set. Will be taking the Amtrak out of Boston to NYC then an overnighter to Atlanta. Overnighter includes sleeper, meals etc. (A mini adventure
before the GREAT adventure).
Arrive Atlanta, take MARTA
to North Springs. I will be taking advantage of the Hiker Hostel's "Thru-Hiker Special" which includes a bunk for the night of 16 Mar. and will shuttle to
Springer on St. Patty's Day!!

Yea

Is it March yet???

Vet4thruhike
11-17-2014, 03:18
There are a number of shuttle providers that will run from Gainesville to Springer/AF, I haven't seriously started looking at which one yet. Or I may be able to get picked up by a friend of my cousin's that lives in the area. I'm not sure what you mean by getting there for early leave? I'll figure out where I'm spending the night when I get the train ticket as I have no idea what time I'll be arriving in Gainesville.
the hiker hostel i talked to charges $80 to pick you up, dinner, your stay, breakfast and a ride to the trail. you have to take a marter, i think thats what its called, from the airport to the pickup spot but thats only a few bucks they said

RangerZ
11-17-2014, 09:12
Has anyone ever stayed at Camp Merrill? They have a 5 room cottage, 2 night stay, $50/night.
http://militaryliving.com/camp-frank-d-merrill-(ga23r1).html

I've always wanted to revisit Camp Merrill, I haven't been able to convince my wife to make the drive when we've been in Georgia. All these years later, I don't remember much except plywood/tar paper 'barracks' and planning shelters.

And the RIs probably won't drop us for push ups.

jawnzee
11-21-2014, 11:03
Fly to Boston. Greyhound to Medway. Hitch to Baxter.

Atraain
11-24-2014, 12:39
I plan to catch a hop from Charleston to Dobbins. From there hitchhike, shuttle, car jack or walk to Amicalola Falls for ATKO.