PDA

View Full Version : Shoe/Boot Perference.

krawler
09-09-2014, 10:43
Hello, I just wanted to see how many of the 2015 Hikers have decided on their footwear. Are you gonna be wearing a hiking boot, hiking shoe, and brand name. What is your footwear gonna be for camps also? I will be wearing a Hiking boot (Oboz Bridger BDry Hiking Boots), Camp shoes are the vibram fivefinger treksports. After I hit warmer weather will be looking for a pair of merrells or under armour shoes.

overthinker
09-09-2014, 14:47
Shoes for sure. Right now I've got some Montrail Bajada's and some Inov-8 Trailroc 330s. I like the way the Inov-8's fit more, but I like the venting on the Montrails. Going to pick up some Inov-8s with mesh, or maybe something like the La Sportiva Bushido.

I also have green Superfeet in my shoes. Started using them when I worked retail and had to stand for 8+ hours a day. I recommend that anyone without flat feet buy a pair and try them for a month or so (you can always return for a full refund, per the Superfeet policy).

Camp shoes are some knockoff Crocs - called Ahh Comfort. Gump.

jred321
09-09-2014, 15:43
Trail runners for me. The Salomon XA Pro 3D seems to work. I tried La Sportiva Wildcats and while they fit great for trail running and short hikes and seemed to have plenty of room in the toe I found that on full day hikes (15+ miles) that my toes killed on downhills by the end of the day. Perhaps it could have been solved by a half size larger but the toes already felt almost too roomy. Went to EMS, tried on some XAs, did two days of hiking in them with no discomfort at all so those are what I'm going with next year. That said, once snow falls I'm going to do some test runs in them to see how they feel. I'm planning to start mid-late March so I could encounter some snow

Probably no camp shoes. Will probably just loosen the laces and switch to a different pair of socks.

krawler
09-09-2014, 18:35
I believe I am gonna go with the trust worthy merrell chameleon. Just looked and tried a pair on, now to get out and hike in them.

KillerKarma
09-09-2014, 18:55
Pretty sure I'm going to stick with Salomon. Love my light hikers. Might try some trail runners, but I'm a pro at rolling ankles.

Undecided about camp shoes. I'm kind of anti-crocs. Hoping to find something that'll let my feet breath and stretch and that I can throw some toasty socks on underneath if needed.

overthinker
09-09-2014, 21:11
I believe I am gonna go with the trust worthy merrell chameleon. Just looked and tried a pair on, now to get out and hike in them.

Make sure you try walking around on wet rocks! When I worked for an outfitter, a major complaint of these shoes is that they slipped on wet rock. Granted, this was on an island in Maine, so the granite was usually smoothed from rain and surf, and the fog gave everything a daily soaking. But still, good to know before you commit.

krawler
09-09-2014, 22:46
I currently hike in Rocksylvania, I currently use under armour cross trainers. I love them but they don't last long, lightweight, great support on slippery surfaces and loose gravel and dirt, water resistant, just didn't last as long as I thought they should. I have read about the merrell and some of their shoes and boots are not good on the rocks. I haven't seen anything bad about the chameleon yet. We will see. Thanks for the info though (overthinker)

Drybones
09-10-2014, 08:18
If you're wearing "waterproof" shoes, take lots and lots of bandaids for the blisters.

jjozgrunt
09-10-2014, 08:30
I wear Merrell Moabs either in the mid boot or shoe. For a camp shoe I wear beach/reef walkers which are also good for water crossings. I have always found that the best shoe/boot for each person is the one that fits the best, regardless of what others are wearing. One of my fav boots is the Hitec Altitude IV.

Astro
09-10-2014, 09:23

That is where I was a few years ago in my transition from hiking boots to trail runners. You might ought to try out some trail runners. You can usually get some of last years models online for up to 50% off.

Astro
09-10-2014, 09:24
If you're wearing "waterproof" shoes, take lots and lots of bandaids for the blisters.

Good advice, the big difference between Boy Scout/Car Camping hikes and backpacking for extended time periods.

denefi
09-10-2014, 20:26
Trail runners for me. The Salomon XA Pro 3D seems to work.

Ditto on the Salomon trail runners. Not sure if it's the exact same model, but mine are similar. My plan is to bring cheap/light Teva sandals for around camp.

jjozgrunt
09-11-2014, 05:16

Not sure what to make of this as I wear the gortex lined merrells or the leather Hitec IV's and they have been wet on many occasions and I don't get blisters. I feel I'm missing out on something. LOL

krawler
09-11-2014, 11:17
Some ppl are prone to blisters and others are not. When we hunt grouse and rabbits in pa or even go for a walk looking for deer, I wear lacrosse alpha lites they are a rubber boot just in a lightweight form. I usually walk a 10 mile loop with my father, and the pointless ups and downs are out there but they all have a point this time. I have never gotten a blister on my foot in my whole 34yrs of living. I have walked the AT in 3 different sets of shoes and nothing yet, last week I went to jump on a rock and slipped and submerged my right foot. I continued to the shelter and then another 5 miles out to my truck. Nothing came about it other than a wrinkled foot.

overthinker
09-11-2014, 11:27
An important caveat to Gore-Tex that most people do not know about: you need to build up 70% humidity inside of the garment before the "breathing" action kicks in. So, in a jacket this creates the sweaty feeling and necessitates the pit zips, which basically make the Gore-Tex liner useless as far as breathability goes anyhow. In a shoe that is soaked, however, the situation is far worse. Your foot has to generate enough heat to turn enough of that cold water into vapor to raise the humidity to 70% before any of the water can exit the shoe.

That isn't to say that Gore-Tex and other waterproof membranes are totally useless. In comparison to something like the Marmot Pre-Cip, which is merely coated with a DWR finish and has no membrane, a Gore-Tex jacket will stay waterproof much longer. You'd have to puncture the membrane for water to get through it. Doesn't mean the fabric of the jacket won't get soaked or the seam tape won't fail, though.

MarkCevoli
09-11-2014, 23:33
IS the waterproof necessary for the start of the Trail?

Drybones
09-12-2014, 18:46
Not sure what to make of this as I wear the gortex lined merrells or the leather Hitec IV's and they have been wet on many occasions and I don't get blisters. I feel I'm missing out on something. LOL

Goretex is great for hiking a week or so but the waterproofing breaks down and your feet get wet and stay wet after that because the Goretex keeps the water in....wet feet = blisters...if you can keep your feet dry (near impossible) you won't get blisters if your shoes fit correctly. Take three pairs of socks, and that won't be enough.

Drybones
09-12-2014, 18:47
IS the waterproof necessary for the start of the Trail?

No....................................

Ia wonder
09-12-2014, 21:17
Hi all I'm interested in what people are wearing for shoes in the winter months? I've been doing some hiking just using New Balance 845's in the summer but I'm clueless what to switch to once the weather gets colder. I've got some older Sorel type boots that I use for work but, I can't see walking very far in them. Thanks for an advice and opinions. I've been lurking since may so I know there are lots of opinions. :)

Speakeasy TN
09-14-2014, 10:18
Vasque Breeze GTX with green Superfeet. YMMV

Nonfiction
09-15-2014, 05:38
Merrell Moab Ventilators all the way. Love em'! Haven't decided on camp shoes yet? Off brand Crocs? Maybe my vibram five fingers?

wormer
09-15-2014, 06:03
I will 3rd the Salomon XAPro3D for hiking. I ordered mine on Amazon and found them to be slightly snug when new. After I put a few miles on them they really formed my feet perfectly. I found that no matter how steep the terrain is, my toes don't get driven into the toe box. I was able to get them for almost 50% off because I choose the bright multi color ones.