PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight Hiking Poles

RagingHampster
01-16-2003, 09:53
What are the lightest telescoping poles available? So far I've found the MSR Overland Carbon which weigh in at 17oz for the pair.

http://www.mountainsafetyresearch.com/poles/overland_carbon.asp

I just broke one of my Leki poles on Sunday when the spring mechanism made a loud noise and collapsed. I also tumbled to the ground like a sack of potatoes. I didn't like them much anyways. Too squeaky, and comparitively heavy at 24oz. My next pair won't be "anti-shock".

***EDIT***

Just found these as well. Weigh the same, but made of metal rather than carbon-fiber. I wonder which would be the better between the two. Which would you guys say?

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=LEK115

steve hiker
01-17-2003, 00:49
Komperdell Pure Carbons come in at 16oz/pair, I believe.

garraty
01-17-2003, 00:57
Over the past 2 years I thruhiked both the AT and PCT with a pair of Leki Ultralites, straight handles, springs. They are great poles, the service from Leki is great, and they obviously hold up well.

I switched to the version with springs because an elbow became sore when using the ones without springs. The pain went away as I continued with the ones with springs.

If you hike with the straps around your wrists you might want the version with tilted handles called PA. I prefer the straight handles, move my hands down when going uphill, and grip the tops when going down. On flats I let it pivot between my thumb and the next two fingers with my hands at the angle they would be with the tilted handles.

RagingHampster
01-17-2003, 09:09
I decided on the Leki Ultralight Ti poles. Thanks for the help guys.

I also hold them by the top of the handle when going both downhill and uphill. The only time I actually grip them is on flats.

RagingHampster
02-04-2003, 13:43
The poles are working great. I definetly like the lack of springs. They're also much lighter, and swing effortlessly. They also compact smaller than the traditional 22+oz Leki's.

stranger
02-06-2003, 00:52
The ultra-light titanium Makalu's are a little flimsy...be careful with how much weight you put on them. Cheers!

MedicineMan
02-12-2003, 17:15
What does everyone think about the Black Diamond flint-lock system, cant explain it but advertised as easier to use than the twist tight types..I am shopping for new poles too, my Kompy's are showing their age.

sail13
02-12-2003, 23:23
I just baught a pair of ultra-light Ti air-ergo leki's.
leki clames that they weigh 7ozs each, I have not weighed them yet but will and post the true weight soon.

stranger
02-13-2003, 01:40
If you are talking about the Black Diamond poles that have a device that kinda snaps over the pole to hold it in place don't buy them, they SUCK and constantly need to be tightened. But I forget the actual BD name for them...they may have changed it.

mvng mtn
02-13-2003, 21:16
I have a pair of Black Diamond Expedition fliploc poles. Once the adjustment screw was set I have never had a problem with them slipping. I had a pair of Leki Makalu Ultralite titanium poles(no anti-shock). They are pretty light. I did not really like them that much and gave them to my daughter. I did not care for the strap or the grip.One of the other problems I had is they did not extend long enough for my Wanderlust 2-4-2 tent to use as tent poles.

MedicineMan
02-13-2003, 23:22
mvng mtn-
where did you get the Black Diamond Exp Fliploc poles? I am
def. in the market.

mvng mtn
02-14-2003, 12:20
I got my FlickLock Expediton poles directly from Black Diamond. $98.

1.801.278.5533 or:

www.blackdiamondequipment.com