PDA

View Full Version : what is the best way

barefooter333
09-09-2014, 11:14
i want to hike part of section one from woody gap to amicola falls. what is the best direction to go and how many days should it take a beginner hiker

Gambit McCrae
09-09-2014, 11:22
Including the approach trail the distance is 37.2 miles. For a beginner in good shape with a light pack, 2-3 days. 3 days is 12.4 miles per day. And If you havent done any of the AT I would just start at the beginning and head north. This way if you fall short of your goal, you havent created any gaps in the trail as far as completion goes. I should be down that way sometime in may perhaps late late this year but will more then likely be going SOBO

saltysack
09-09-2014, 12:42
Including the approach trail the distance is 37.2 miles. For a beginner in good shape with a light pack, 2-3 days. 3 days is 12.4 miles per day. And If you havent done any of the AT I would just start at the beginning and head north. This way if you fall short of your goal, you havent created any gaps in the trail as far as completion goes. I should be down that way sometime in may perhaps late late this year but will more then likely be going SOBO

I believe woody to springer is 20 miles plus approach trail...easy weekend hike.. Was my first section also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
09-09-2014, 16:02
I've done this section numerous times in different combinations. Later in October this year, I'm planning on starting at Woody and going southbound to AFSP, with stops at Gooch Mtn shelter (short first day), and Stover Creek shelter and finishing up on the third day. :)

barefooter333
09-10-2014, 09:48
thank u for your info

Pedaling Fool
09-10-2014, 10:15
Are you driving there? If so, I would park my car in the parking lot of Amicalola and get a shuttle to Woody Gap and hike south back to the park, that way I don't have to worry about logistics at the end of the trip.

IIRC, Woody gap is at the 20-mile point from Springer and Amicalola is another ~9 miles from springer, so just under 30-mile hike. Should be a 3-day trip for a beginner (give or take...)

daddytwosticks
09-10-2014, 15:47
^^^Plus, you can eat a good meal at the lodge and grab a shower at the campground before heading home. :)

Malto
09-10-2014, 20:57
No such thing as best way..... There are different ways. Starting at woody is easier physically but stating at AFSP feels more like starting the trail.

MuddyWaters
09-11-2014, 00:01
I understand the desire by new hikers not to dive in too deep at first, but honestly, its nothing to be afraid of, and very short trips just leave you unfulfilled. The more you hike, the longer trips you will desire. Your sense of distance becomes measured in days. You think 100 miles isn't very far, just a couple of days. 30 miles is an overnighter, not worth the trouble.

Not belittling your trip length, just saying don't be afraid to be more aggressive. Many thruhikers have zero experience when they start, and they have a great time. Amicalola to neel gap is good, slightly longer, and the knowledge that there is food, coke, etc at the end moves you. The better food at the end, the better the hiking will be mm on the last day.

barefooter333
09-11-2014, 07:40
i only have friday afternoon and both saturday and sunday thats why i picked woody gap instead of neels gap

Gambit McCrae
09-11-2014, 08:03
I believe woody to springer is 20 miles plus approach trail...easy weekend hike.. Was my first section also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your right I dont know where that came from my mileages have been inaccurate past couple days

MuddyWaters
09-11-2014, 08:04
If you only have 2.+ days, you probably have a achievable distance. You will have a good time. It will Be over before you know it, time flies by on the trail.

barefooter333
09-11-2014, 10:06
thank u for all the info