PDA

View Full Version : Trampoline backs?

ktest
09-09-2014, 13:54
Two of my smaller packs (Deuter Race x Air 1 and Columbia Treadlite) have trampoline backs and I've noticed it makes a fantastic difference in how far I can go (read: my body temp while hiking).

Is there any reason to favor a pack without this feature or is it entirely personal preference? My only worry is that my gear would sit so far from my back as to unbalance me on climbs.

I was considering specifically the Gregory J53. If I get this and keep it til / use it on my thru, might I regret it?

SteelCut
09-09-2014, 14:02
I can't comment on the J53. However, I have an Osprey Exos 58 with a similar back. I find that I'm much cooler and sweat much less than one without such a back. I don't have problems with the weight distribution despite sometime carrying a camelback exterior to the pack. It does carry a little different in the fact that it seems to have a slight bounce when I'm hiking fast and when I first got it I would still have that sensation for a while when I would stop and rest. But I got use to it and never notice it anymore.

I doubt that I would order a pack that doesn't have such a feature. That was the main reason why I decided to not use a ULA pack despite their light weight and high quality.

daddytwosticks
09-09-2014, 15:58
I'm a very heavy sweater. I have a new model Osprey Exos 48 (2014) with the ventilated back you describe. LOVE IT. I don't notice any weight distribution problems. Recently went on an overnight hike with my GG Murmur. It wasn't very hot out, but still had sweat draining off my back down my butt crack. This doesn't happen with my Exos. :)

Nooga
09-09-2014, 16:56
I went from a ULA Catalyst (hottest pack I have worn) to an Osprey Exos 58 just to get the trampoline feature.

slbirdnerd
09-10-2014, 08:48
I am a gal using the guys Gregory Z55, which has trampoline suspension. It was a little strange at first but I really love it. Carries extremely well and my back never gets hot. I do find I have to be careful how I load and cinch the pack or it will compress the space between the pack and the suspension, especially at the lower back. The key is to load the pack properly, and then tighten but not smoosh your load with the packs compression straps. Very happy with the Z55--don't hesitate to try men's packs just make sure you get the right torso length.