PDA

View Full Version : Watauga Lake to Damascus

ric2hunt
09-09-2014, 14:34
Going to hike this section in October. Just curious on thoughts on which way to hike - Southbound from Damascus or Northbound from the Lake? Also, any goods camping spots along the way - the shelters seem to be spaced a little different on the section.

hikernutcasey
09-09-2014, 14:53
From a practical standpoint I would think going north would be the better of the two options. Safer parking and restaurants right on the trail when you finish.

I actually did this exact section in 3 days and we did Hwy 321 to Iron Mtn shelter, then over to Abingdon Gap shelter and then in to Damascus. It's easy sailing once you make the ridge up from the dam.

Possum Bill
09-10-2014, 09:35
I agree... I think northbound would be a tad easier, but it's a fairly easy (level) in both directions, once you get up on the Iron Mtn ridgeline. Camping is closed all along Watauga Lake due to bear activity, so your first camping options would be on Iron Mountain. There's a nice campsite about halfway in between Vandeventer Shelter and Iron Mtn Shelter in a gap. There's a nice spring there. Once you cross the TN91 road and Osbourne Farm, there's also another nice campsite not too far before the Double Springs Shelter with a water source. After you cross Hway 421 there will be plenty of level spots for camping too, but I don't remember many water sources. If you need help with a shuttle let me know... I live in Dennis Cove, very close to Watauga Lake.

Gambit McCrae
09-10-2014, 10:42
My two cents is this: I did this section in December but started at dennis cove to pond flats pond flats to vendventner shelter(Spelling) vend shelter to Double springs double springs to Damascus.

I ran out of water at vend shelter all the way to Iron mount shelter and there really isnt alot of water on that ridge. If you go north keep an eye out for apple tree between vend shelter and iron mountain.

I would go nobo due to ending in a trail town is always nice and safer parking then at the dam. Go to a little place called dots in damascus. Cold beer and good burger. They were dog friendly which surprised me too.

The climb up from the dam is alot of fun :) and it keeps going and going and going until you reach vend shelter. It took from 8am till about 6-7 pm to get from Pond flats to vend shelter

Seatbelt
09-10-2014, 10:56
I went from Kincora to Just north of Vandeventer in one day last summer. Water was good at the spring about a mile and a half before I got to the shelter. Then it was just two days of easy hiking into Damascus. There is water between Vandeventer and Iron Mtn shelter and I believe it was marked with a sign--just off to the right going NOBO.

Gambit McCrae
09-10-2014, 11:13
There is water between Vandeventer and Iron Mtn shelter and I believe it was marked with a sign--just off to the right going NOBO.

Yep I missed it for sure! :datz

wornoutboots
09-10-2014, 11:14
Nobo IMO. Great east section with good camping & nice time of year to do it. If the weather turns for the worst, always remember Vandeventer faces the west & isn't a good option to sleep in but there is good tenting @ it. The bears around the lake shouldn't be too big of a problem in the Fall vs the Spring. ~Enjoy~

CrumbSnatcher
09-10-2014, 11:28
one of the easier sections of the trail ,especially Nobo. its not called the Tennessee turnpike for no reason :-)

LittleRock
09-10-2014, 16:45
I'll be doing that section NOBO in October. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Cookerhiker
09-10-2014, 16:48
one of the easier sections of the trail ,especially Nobo. its not called the Tennessee turnpike for no reason :-)

My thoughts precisely.

Lone Wolf
09-10-2014, 16:57
NOBO for sure

Many Moons
09-10-2014, 18:53
I plan on doing this section in leaving out of Kincora on the 15th of October. Glad to see this post. I plan on taking my dog for his first hike. Looks like a good section to test him on. We may take 4 days to get to Damascus. Hike On!!!!!

Miller

Going to hike this section in October. Just curious on thoughts on which way to hike - Southbound from Damascus or Northbound from the Lake? Also, any goods camping spots along the way - the shelters seem to be spaced a little different on the section.

Many Moons
09-10-2014, 18:55
Yea might see you out there. I will be leaving the Kincora on the 15th. Hike On!!!

Miller

I'll be doing that section NOBO in October. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Many Moons
09-10-2014, 18:57
Hey friend!! Man I missed you by one year on this hike. I plan on hiking this section on 15th of October if you want to repeat, but your miles are too many for me. Hike On!!!

Miller

I went from Kincora to Just north of Vandeventer in one day last summer. Water was good at the spring about a mile and a half before I got to the shelter. Then it was just two days of easy hiking into Damascus. There is water between Vandeventer and Iron Mtn shelter and I believe it was marked with a sign--just off to the right going NOBO.

ric2hunt
09-10-2014, 19:58
Thanks everyone for all the responses. Looks like we are in for a great NOBO hike.

Maybe we will run into some of you out there. We will hiking on the 11th

Seatbelt
09-11-2014, 12:04
Hey friend!! Man I missed you by one year on this hike. I plan on hiking this section on 15th of October if you want to repeat, but your miles are too many for me. Hike On!!!

Miller
Howdy Miller! Have a great hike--after you get to the top of the ridge above the lake, it is pretty easy going. Have fun! Seatbelt.

waasj
09-14-2014, 09:47
Water at Vandeventer is a grunt!! You might want to fill before you get to it. Seems I recall a spring about 3-5 miles south of the shelter. Good hike either direction. I did SOBO Damascus to Erwin and it was a pretty fast section. Once you get up on the ridge from the dam you should be in good shape.

CrumbSnatcher
09-14-2014, 12:08
good spring directly on trail 1.7 miles south of the Vandeventer shelter
better than going down hill for water at the shelter

saltysack
09-15-2014, 11:37
Who y'all use for shuttle? MRO? How much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flemdawg1
09-15-2014, 11:51
Who y'all use for shuttle? MRO? How much?

Lone Wolf, pm him thru this site.

Gambit McCrae
09-15-2014, 12:54
Use Lone Wolf

joshuasdad
09-15-2014, 12:59
Lone Wolf for shuttle. Last time in Damascus, I stayed at Woodchuck hostel, nice beds and great location. http://woodchuckhostel.com/

saltysack
09-15-2014, 13:00
Just pm lw...thx

saltysack
09-15-2014, 13:53
What temps would y'all expect as for lows....late oct

wornoutboots
09-15-2014, 13:58
Upper 20's to 30's. Pay close attention to the weather just before yuor hike. Remember the mountains make their own weather. ;)

saltysack
09-15-2014, 21:41
I plan on heading nobo from hampton to Damascus...any good tent sites.. Prob start mid afternoon first day and hike aprox 10 miles and avg 15 mpd Days 2,3. Any good tent sites? I'm not into shelters unless weather Is bad

CrumbSnatcher
09-15-2014, 22:15
I plan on heading nobo from hampton to Damascus...any good tent sites.. Prob start mid afternoon first day and hike aprox 10 miles and avg 15 mpd Days 2,3. Any good tent sites? I'm not into shelters unless weather Is bad

start a half day farther south and check out Laurel Falls, easy hiking :-) after the falls you could blue blaze right into Hampton

CrumbSnatcher
09-15-2014, 22:17
million places to put a tent up in that section
by the way, have a great hike!

Many Moons
09-21-2014, 20:19
So-you can't stay at Watauga Lake Shelter?? What is first best place to stay/(tent OK) that has water?? Headed out mid October and will have my dog. Plan on leaving at the Kincora and headed NOB. Watauga Shelter looked like best first night stay from maps. Don't want to push my dog hard on his first hike. Any options?????? HIKE ON!!!

Miller

LittleRock
09-22-2014, 12:12
So-you can't stay at Watauga Lake Shelter?? What is first best place to stay/(tent OK) that has water?? Headed out mid October and will have my dog. Plan on leaving at the Kincora and headed NOB. Watauga Shelter looked like best first night stay from maps. Don't want to push my dog hard on his first hike. Any options?????? HIKE ON!!!

Miller

I'm in the same boat. According to the ATC, the whole section from 321 to Wilber Dam Rd. (4 miles, including the Watauga Lake shelter) is closed to camping.

From what I'm told, there's a decent stealth campsite (no water) just after Wilber Dam Rd. I was planning to stop for water at the Watauga Lake shelter then camp there.

Seatbelt
09-22-2014, 12:18

Miller

Hey Miller,
There is a camp spot right on the lake between the Shelter and the Dam--on your right going NOBO. Looks like a nice enough spot--closer to the dam than the shelter.
Seatbelt