PDA

View Full Version : Nido powdered milk, carnation instant breakfast vanilla and tang is hard to beat

blackwater slim
09-09-2014, 17:36
Use Nido instead of instant milk (due to the instant milk foaming so much) mixed with8-10 oz. of water, 1 packet of carnation instant breakfast, and two tablespoons of tang powder. This is nutrient rich, calorie rich and unbelievably good drink to give a boost of energy to start the day or as an afternoon pick-me-up. Try it...you'll like it.

squeezebox
09-09-2014, 17:40
Have not been to find Nido, I've checked the regular big grocery store and the large international grocery. Nada!!

swjohnsey
09-09-2014, 17:41
Nido is instant whole milk and a good source of extra fat and protein.

jasbb
09-09-2014, 17:53
Have not been to find Nido, I've checked the regular big grocery store and the large international grocery. Nada!!

Check the Hispanic section of the grocery store; at least that is where I found it.

rocketsocks
09-09-2014, 17:57
just found it in my stores after a year of lookin' for it. Shop Rite.

Sarcasm the elf
09-09-2014, 18:11
Nido is instant whole milk and a good source of extra fat and protein.

I haven't been able to find nido either. I started buying powdered whole goat's milk instead, which I am able to find in most larger supermarkets. As a bonus, I think it tastes better as well.

swjohnsey
09-09-2014, 18:56
Walmart carries it around here but the population is mostly Mexican.

captike
09-09-2014, 19:22
Walmart carries it around here but the population is mostly Mexican.

Ditto for me. Minus the Mexican part. KLIM is another one to try. It too is powered whole milk that works well for hiking applications. I use it in a Mocha Mix recipe to start the day off right during cold mornings. I'll have to give the OP's suggestion a try. That sounds good as well.

captike
09-09-2014, 19:24
Use Nido instead of instant milk (due to the instant milk foaming so much) mixed with8-10 oz. of water, 1 packet of carnation instant breakfast, and two tablespoons of tang powder. This is nutrient rich, calorie rich and unbelievably good drink to give a boost of energy to start the day or as an afternoon pick-me-up. Try it...you'll like it.

How much NIDO are you using for 8-10oz of water? Are you using the ratio specified on the carton?

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-09-2014, 19:43
The tang doesn't make it curdle ? Can't do carnation instant breakfast make me have PVCs - at least that's what I've been able to correlate with. Would love to find the powdered goats milk.
I have had someone suggest powdered baby formula but I don't know

Malto
09-09-2014, 19:53
An alternative...... Nido, dark chocolate cocoa mix and coffee. A backcountry mocha. Yum.

swjohnsey
09-09-2014, 20:16
How much NIDO are you using for 8-10oz of water? Are you using the ratio specified on the carton?

Container says 1/4 cup makes 8 ounces.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-09-2014, 20:17
Sounds pretty good. Will have to give it a try.

rocketsocks
09-09-2014, 20:39
I've had to cut down on the Lattes...gettin' way to puffy round the middle.

Capt.Scott
09-09-2014, 22:43
Nido is the bomb! and can also be found where the baby formula is. That is what it is sold for in Mexico. Made form milk solids which makes it more like real milk. Enjoy.

blackwater slim
09-10-2014, 06:40
Wal-Mart is where I found the Nido-I'm thinking in the Hispanic section-not near the powdered milk. The Orange Cream suggestion I made is incredibly good as I mentioned. I put the powdered mixture in a Ziploc bag. I just follow the amounts of all three for 8 oz. I add a couple of oz. of water just because it is a good bit of powder. Ideally, mix 8 oz of water with the Nido to make 8 oz.of milk to put with the instant breakfast. Add the two tablespoons of Tang because one glass of tang at 8 oz. of water calls for that amount of liquid. Mix it well but when you hit a few nuggets of powder that didn't mix well its like a piece of candy in the liquid. To me its even ok in warm weather, with "not cold" water if mixed fresh. I wouldn't want it sitting around as "milk" if its warm. If its cold, I'll mix it at night for my start of the day, cold mix.

blackwater slim
09-10-2014, 06:41
I do have a buddy who likse to mix the chocolate instant breakfast with instant coffee and Nido. I'm just not a flavored coffee fan.

Hot Flash
09-10-2014, 10:23
You can pick up both NIDO and KLIM (which are the same thing) on Amazon.

Just Bill
09-10-2014, 10:44
An alternative...... Nido, dark chocolate cocoa mix and coffee. A backcountry mocha. Yum.

That's more my speed.
Been messing with a Morning Malto, 1 cup Malto, one packet Emergen-C (orange or raspberry), and black tea or yerba mate with about 3 cups water.

Nido- Even at larger chains, I typically find it in the Mexican food section. Be sure to check there if you are having trouble finding it, my wife hopelessly flailed at finding it for a month or two, I walked in, checked the Mexican isle and found it first trip out.

squeezebox
09-10-2014, 10:49
What about getting Nido on the trail?

Rocket Jones
09-10-2014, 11:19
Wally World also has powdered coconut milk. Check near the soy sauces.