PDA

View Full Version : Good place to start a section hike in Sep?

Timinator
09-09-2014, 20:52
So about 300 miles into my SoBo hike in june, unexpected business called me to Florida, unfortunately it wasn't something I could refuse.
I've finally finished with all of that nonsense and I'm trying to figure out what to do now. I reaally don't want to wait until next year.
Realistically I would guess if I went back out it would be mid-late September.
Any opinions on what sections are good at that time?
Originally I figured I would go south from where I was multiplied by 100 miles by the amount of weeks I've been absent but I figure I'd ask here for opinions first.

rafe
09-09-2014, 22:01
Why not pick up where you left off? The White Mountains are waiting for you! Seriously, it's all good -- fall is a great time to hike. It's not like there's a vast difference in temperatures along the trail, this time of year. I don't follow the logic of your formula (100 miles X #weeks absent from trail.) I mean, that seems kind of arbitrary.

Mags
09-09-2014, 22:57
This is the CDT forum...Whites are a bit away. But, it would be a killer place to start a Fall hiker. Seriously.

If you want to do the CDT, your window is getting very, very narrow esp by late-Sept. There is a very small chance of it snowing here at 5400' this Thursday....never mind at 12000'+ :O

Go to Chama, hitch up to Cumbres Pass and do New Mexico is probably your best bet.

Spirit Walker
09-09-2014, 23:13
I agree with Mags. Because so much of the trail is at altitude, by late September you are likely to run into snow almost everywhere except the desert, and it is possible even there. New Mexico in the fall is lovely. Alternately, if the weather forecasts are good, start a bit farther north, Pagosa Springs or Creede - and do a little of Colorado then go into NM.