PDA

View Full Version : Testing gear from South Florida?

JohnnySnook
09-10-2014, 05:51
How should I plan on buying and testing gear while living in Miami, FL?

It's a long drive to find any mountains. I'm sure climbing stairs etc may help and picking shoes may not be an issue but what about my pack?
This is my biggest concern. Finding a pack that will for a long long hike.

One with a rod holder would be great.

Back on the trail
09-10-2014, 13:16

It's a long drive to find any mountains. I'm sure climbing stairs etc may help and picking shoes may not be an issue but what about my pack?

Hi, from Deerfield. Plan a trip to Tennessee and while your there just happen to head into Maryville. go to a place called Little river trading company and see WILDCAT. Best move I ever made getting a pack. Spent 2 1/2 hours just trying / talking / and hiking around store with the pack loaded. And that was only the three we settled on actually trying out. I spent a long time trolling for info here its great stuff. I settled on a ULA Circuit. Planning to knock NJ off the list on my next hike.

Hikes in Rain
09-10-2014, 13:24
I've gotten most of my gear while here in Florida. Campmor, REI, some cottage industries, even Amazon. Do lots of research first, especially where where you'll find lots of opinions. Doing as Back on the Trail suggests is also a good idea, and if nothing else, gets you in the mountains to play with your new toys. Mountain Crossings, or Walasi0Yi, is a little closer in Georgia in Neel Gap. And the Trail goes right through it, via the only covered part of the trail. Definitely worth a visit.

saltysack
09-10-2014, 16:32

Hit the fl trail this winter....ULA awesome service & packs.... Check out there website for proper fit ...zpacks also built in fl but online also.. If u own no gear and have time I'd go to mountain crossings at neel gap to get outfitted.... Doubt u will find or need a rod holder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnySnook
09-11-2014, 00:59
Thanks for the tips. I have also looked into the FL trail. I didn't even know it was there to tell you the truth. There was a great PBS TV showing them kayaking and hiking thru the florida wildlife corridor. So I guess a lot of the trail is part of this. I'm going to have to look into this more. Camping in Ocala may be fun to get used to dealing with bears. Kind of funny to get a bunch of replies from people in FL. I didn't expect.
looks like I got some jobs lining up so if I can make a nice chunk of change in the bank a trip north before it gets to cold would be fun. Besides I hear the fall fishing can be awesome. Being a gear finding trip I can plan on areas to fish also.

The rod holder was a joke. I don't I'll find one. LOL.

I will probably carry a 7 or 8 piece fly rod or collapsable spinning rod kept in a rod tube to protect it. Fly rod will probably be lighter and more fun. Just so many damn rules regarding fishing everywhere but thats life these days. Even PITA wants to end fishing and donates a ton of money to close areas to fishing and hunting.

DatFLhiker
09-11-2014, 11:08
you got the everglades, john dickerson state park , vista view park in broward has a landfill hill. check out floridahikes.com

as far as outdoor stores in which to gear test at IMO here in miami their arent too many options and the stores we have have limited gear selection.

have visited stores in virginia and instead of 2 aisle of gear they have a whole section if not the entire store for hiking gear

q-tip
09-11-2014, 13:39
I bought much of my gear when living in Orlando. No hills, no cold, the best I could do was to buy on best recommendations and change gear on the trail. I got five lbs out of my kit before I left Gatlinburg.

waasj
09-14-2014, 09:40
The section of the FT along the Suwannee actualy has a bit of up and down to it. Might want to come to REI in Jacksonville, try on gear etc. then drive out to White Springs and put in a couple of days on the trail. Spirit of the Suwannee offers shuttle service.

waasj
09-14-2014, 09:42
Oh, and check out the Chatooga River Trail (probably misspelled Chatooga) along the GA/SC state line. Good fishing/hiking.

Old Hiker
09-14-2014, 11:01
Guy named "Stumpknocker" did a FL thru - has several trail journals: trailjournal.com. Do a search of his name.

He has the same tent I do, he just modified his to be more stealthy.

I'd like to do some of the FL Trail this T-Giving and Christmas breaks, as the family traditions have fallen by the wayside.

Mr. Jowee
09-14-2014, 22:39
I have the same issue living in New Orleans. Reading online reviews and talking to experienced hikers is still just theory, and not the same as knowledge of what works for me. I have to wait till the dead of winter to figure out what will work in early fall and late spring in the rest of the country. And hiking up hills? Well, I can do a bunch of squats with my pack on, and occasionally take the 2 hour plus drive to see some hills, but 2,000 feet gained and lost over 8 miles isn't exactly mountainous. But if you need advice on mosquitos, ask someone who has hiked in a swamp.

JohnnySnook
09-15-2014, 02:31
Well I think I may be taking a short trip north. These can turn into long trips for me. I work freelance in the film industry so most of my work happens in the winter. I'm praying it will be a good season. Since our current politicians rejected the FL film incentive it could be pretty ugly. Most to movies won't even think about shooting in FL. We've also lost most of the TV shows like Magic City, Burn Notice, and possibly the Glades. Many of the large commercial companies will only shoot here if its a client request or a winter weather reason. Hopefully the rest of the country suffers a nasty winter and people have to come south to film.
What is a film incentive? It's basically a refund of funds spent in a state to draw in productions. It different in all states but most have one. Just look at Georgia. They have a great incentive and basically are now 2nd to LA in total productions. LA has seen the business leaving and just passed a $320 million dollar incentive to keep productions shooting in CA. FL dropped ours?? The last two years have been insane. Often times its hard to even find crews and have to fly people in from other states.
All we can hope for is Charlie Christ to get elected and work with us. Already many people from south florida have moved to Atlanta and many have relocated to New Orleans. Sadly we will miss out on millions and millions of dollars spent here in FL.
So if things go like they are I'll probably ride the winter wave of commercials and then figure finding work in the summer isn't an option. I pray I'll be on the AT and not sitting at home not working.
Sorry for the rant. Hopefully I'll be sitting a tent somewhere in the mountains.

JohnnySnook
09-15-2014, 02:49
Mr. J. - I know about bugs! I live in south florida. Please let me know what works for you with the bugs.
I hate them but basically deel with them 75% of the years. I will be looking at the different repellent options for northern states. Down here we deal the mostly mosquitos and No See'ums. When camping in the everglades while fishing out of Flamingo they look like black sheets flying thru the air. One of the crazy experiences is when there is a strong west wind and you're fishing 15 miles from land and are suddenly attacked by thousands of mosquitos blow out to see by the west winds and they are starving for blood. Its a super strange experience. You can't see land but the mosquitos could lift me from the boat if i let them.
Biting bugs are never fun and they seem to never go away.

JohnnySnook
09-22-2014, 13:32
Once again. Thanks for all replies.
I'm thinking lots of this / last years gear should hopefully be on sale in Oct.
I have a job thru probably Oct. 13th or 14th so if nothing books after that maybe I'll take a road trip up to Little River Trading company as Back on the trail stated.
The idea of good customer service is something I look for and is normally lacking in the MTBing shops here in the south florida. Well that basically goes for almost stores here in south florida.
Then I'll have the option of checking out some other stores in the area and maybe a quick hike. Just have to map out the places I'd like to hit. I'll bring campground camping gear which is big and heavy to save money on hotels.

Kind of funny the tent is the same tent I hiked with for a week at a time as teenager. Along with my old faithful mosquito net and I still use the same sleeping bag also. 20+ years and counting. They've survived camping in the mountains of the SE, Campgrounds thru out Florida and multiple trips in the jungles of Costa Rica on surf trips.

I see REI Jacksonville is having a garage sale on the Oct. 18th so I'd like to hit that also. Maybe do a big loop and camp for few days to a week depending on work.

I also see that all these places specialize in mountain biking also so I'll have to leave the bike behind or this could turn into a really expensive trip. Reminder to self. STAY OUT OF THE MTBing SECTION!

If anyone has any other stores that may be good to hit and possibly have gear on sale let me know.

As the time gets closer I'll post my itinerary. As long as I don't get a job. Hopefully if they call its for the end of Oct.or November. Fingers crossed.