PDA

View Full Version : Is there still a caretaker at Horn's Pond Lean To in the Bigelow Range?

Goonky
09-10-2014, 11:29
When does the caretaker leave for the season?

I'm contemplating and out and back from Route 27. I figured I could stay at Horn's Pond LeanTo, stay there, then hike to hike to Avery Peak the next day and back to Horn's Pond. (I'm a low mileage girl) I thought if there was a caretaker there, maybe I could leave my overnight gear and slack up to Avery Peak.

I can carry it too, just a thought.

Slo-go'en
09-10-2014, 19:24
I didn't know there was a caretaker up there. I've been there about this time of year and never meet one. I wouldn't worry much about leaving the overnight gear at the shelter while you go off for the day - that's fairly common practice.

Don H
09-10-2014, 19:40
MATC has ridgerunners / caretakers at Piazza Rock, Gulf Hagas and Horns Pond.
Apparently they are there until October.
http://www.matc.org/maine-trail-crew/caretakerridgerunner-program/

MamaBear
09-11-2014, 09:58
There was a caretaker up there back in August, his name was Ian. Super nice guy, was replacing the sign posts on West Avery and Avery the day we were there and then had a nice chat with him later. He was also a caretaker in the Whites for a while, too.

We hiked up in the morning, left most of our gear at the shelter, packed one of the packs with food/water/emergency stuff and hiked from Horns Pond out to Avery Peak and back with no problems, then spent the night and hiked out the next morning. Much easier and nicer that way!

Slo-go'en
09-11-2014, 10:22
I must have been up there later in October or the caretaker left early for the season.

A nice loop is to go up the Fire Wardens trail to the Horns Pond trail for the first day, then over to Avery peak and down the Fire Wardens trail back to your car. The Fire wardens trail from Avery Peak to the Horns pond trail junction is the longest set of rock steps you are likely to find - about 1/4 mile long! The hard part is finding the dirt road which leads to the trail head off the highway!

Kerosene
09-11-2014, 10:45
I would think that MATC would maintain a caretaker at least through the first week of October given all of the NOBO thru-hikers coming through. I guess I'll find out in a week or so!

Goonky
09-11-2014, 12:10
Thanks for the feedback folks, super helpful to hear that others have had similar thoughts. I forgot about the firewardens trail, maybe we'll do that. :)