PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a 3 day hike NY area

KillerKarma
09-10-2014, 12:35
Hey! I'm planning a three day trip in a few weeks and I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good hike in the NY area. I'm in the Hudson Valley, but I'm willing to travel a bit. It'll be me and the bf. Testing some gear for next year's AT thru. I guess a loop would be ideal unless there's easy transportation from one end. Thanks!

88BlueGT
09-10-2014, 14:24
Keep in mind you have the Adirondacks as well. High Peak State Park is amazing.

Cookerhiker
09-10-2014, 16:51
Have you hiked much in the Catskills? I'm not real familiar with them, but I believe there's a network of trails.

KillerKarma
09-10-2014, 23:06
Thanks for the ideas! I spend most of my time in the Hudson Highlands. I've done some Catskill hiking. Adirondacks are definitely on the short list. I've done some of the AT through Harriman also. Planning to do a multi-day AT section this fall too. Just want to keep my options open in case I hear of somewhere new to check out :)

Cookerhiker
09-11-2014, 09:09
Thanks for the ideas! I spend most of my time in the Hudson Highlands. I've done some Catskill hiking. Adirondacks are definitely on the short list. I've done some of the AT through Harriman also. Planning to do a multi-day AT section this fall too. Just want to keep my options open in case I hear of somewhere new to check out :)

BTW, my niece and her husband live in Newburgh and by coincidence, I have deeper family roots there going back 100s of years.

rafe
09-11-2014, 09:39
There are some spectacular views and hikes to be had in the DAKs. Catskills too, but I'm far less familiar with them. There's a major network of trails that converges in Harriman State Park. There's also trails along the Taconic.

hilltackler
09-12-2014, 17:12
If you're looking to do a loop type backpack then Harriman fits the bill. You could hike 14miles a day and camp at a different spot and loop back to the car. The Johnstontown circle parking area is a good jumping off point of the fishermans parking area off rt17 in tuxedo. Plenty of trails to keep you busy for a few days. As you get into the Cats and Daks doing a loop gets harder, it's more like out and back. But the views and peaks are much better up north.
If it were me and I was doing a shake down hike for the AT, I would just goto harriman. Also, you have many more camping options, less ranger enforcement and no cannisters needed. But beware there are bears...very active this year. BUt I'm sure you know that already since you are from around there.
hike on...

DirtyFeet
09-12-2014, 21:28
I'm in Mt Kisco, just below the Fishkill - Newburg Beacon bridge. I would say you could spend three days hiking around Harriman State Park : Parking lot on the Palisades -> Black Mountain + West Mountain + Bald Mountain + Jone's Point (great views) + Bear Mountain -> Parking lot. You can adjust how many of these "mountains" (not really mountains) you hit up. Not a lot of variation or ascent, the views over the reservoir can be spectacular though. I'd probably keep it a day hike or an overnight as I'd get bored if I wasn't trying to be lazy.

If you want to travel up into the catskills I'd say hit up Big Indian Wilderness for some slightly higher peaks and more fun. It isn't too far and gives a good "medium" three-day test of your gear. http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/9151.html

If you have the time, there's no place like the high peaks region of the Adirondacks, very isolated, few other hikers compared to other state/national parks, except maybe at camps and summits. No day-hikers in flip flops, and gorgeous views from the peaks - bring a day-pack for lunching at the top. However it takes you quite a bit of time to get up that way, and you'll hate having to drive back down after you're beat. I did Haystack from Keene Valley over three days lazy days (day 1 drive up to Lake Placid, hike 9mi to shelter, day 2 climb Haystack & side trails, day 3 hike out and drive home).
http://www.lakeplacid.com/do/hiking/mount-haystack

There are many other great areas of the ADK, so take your pick. It will definitely give you a great test for your gear.

For variation, I'd also like to suggest Allegheny National Forest. Its a bit far, and if you're going that far you may prefer to go to the DAKs, but I'm trying to head out there this fall myself. http://www.fs.usda.gov/allegheny/

Last summer my bro and I went to the Delaware Water gap area. The area is a long strip so you see some day hikers coming in from side lots, but there is a long band of wilderness that you can hike across with lots of great nature to see. We ended up going in and coming out the same place, off Rt 80 on the NJ/PA line, but I think you could go in there (south west side) and hike up to Kittatinny Falls / Dingman's Ferry in three days. I planned that, but bro got the trots and we had to head back early.

KillerKarma
09-23-2014, 09:44
Thanks for all the info guys! I'm definitely going to check some of these out. I ended up spending 3 days in Harriman. Started at Elk Pen and stayed near Fingerboard and then up at west Mountain. Got picked up at the next road crossing after West and before Bear Mountain. Hoping to get some more miles in soon. The bf's knee wasn't holding up too well as he isn't used to carrying more than a couple pounds. Had a run in with some VERY rude scouts. It was wet and windy, but a great time. Gotta get him a pack that fits so he can do some longer distances with me. Saw close to ten SOBOers on the way. The only name I caught was Captain Morgan, but his group was super great and had a lot of advice. Seriously saved our butts with the info about the rest stop on the Pallisades. Water sources were scarce to say the least!

Another Kevin
09-23-2014, 11:19
You're in Newburgh? You're living in a hiker's paradise. Rather than just recommending trips, I think I'd need to ask a few questions.

How long is three days for you (mileage/elevation gain)?

Is rock scrambling a fun challenge to be overcome or a nasty chore to be avoided?

Are you a junkie for views, or afraid of heights?

How confident are you in your navigational skills? (Do you get uneasy when out of sight of a blaze, or do you love finding your way on abandoned or unofficial trails?)

There are a lifetime of possibilities in the Hudson Highlands, Shawangunks, Catskills and Taconics - way too many for me to go into in a short post. They range from cakewalks on bridle paths and old jeep trails to nasty rock scrambles and very sketchily blazed trails or out-and-out bushwhacks. It really depends on how much you're up for. Just over two hours from NYC you can get into some serious backcountry, making Harriman look like the suburbia that it really is.

Almost all the hikes you'll find on my blog (http://dftscript.blogspot.com/) are within about an hour of you. They're mostly shorter than what you're asking for, since I do a lot of day trips and overnights, but most of them could be prettily easily extended or combined.

KillerKarma
09-23-2014, 13:09
I'm looking to do a few overnights through the fall and maybe into early winter. I'll have to check out your blog for sure.

Another Kevin
09-23-2014, 13:42
I'm looking to do a few overnights through the fall and maybe into early winter. I'll have to check out your blog for sure.

If you can tolerate a slowpoke, maybe we can get together. It won't be until November, though, since I'm planning a 15-day trip Up North starting in two weeks.

KillerKarma
09-23-2014, 19:00
I'm hoping to hike as much as the weather allows as long as possible. Trying to sneak in 1-2 night stays where I can.

jmitchell
09-23-2014, 20:09
Pharaoh Lake Wilderness north of Lake George- can do 3 days and a loop is possible. Lots of beautiful lakes and ponds, great views from Pharaoh Mtn.

Catskills are beautiful, but can be tough to find a 3 day loop. High Peaks are stunning with tons of loop options, but the terrain is a challenge for backpackers, it is very popular, and there can be competition for campsites/lean-tos. Check out the Cranberry Lake 50.

PA has a lot of options. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/recreation/hiking/stateforesttrails/index.htm

Havana
09-23-2014, 21:36
....Had a run in with some VERY rude scouts. .....

You can't just lay that our there without some detail. :)

A.T.Lt
09-24-2014, 08:44
Im on OC also. A great 3 day hike is from 17A(Warwick) to High Point NJ or vice versa. First day can be a short 10 miles to the Wawayanda Shelter, next day you end up at Pochuck Shelter and then end your hike at High Point, Route 23 in Sussex NJ. There are places along the way to eat and or road crossings where you can bail if you want.. You get to experience rocks, some climbs and bogs.

KillerKarma
09-24-2014, 08:59
You can't just lay that our there without some detail. :)

We set up camp near the Fingerboard shelter at a nice spot that was maybe 200 feet from the shelter. There were a few people set up at nearby spots and a couple groups down the hill. After we got our tent set up, and our food strung up, we headed down to the lake to fill up on water. The lake is roughly a half mile from the shelter. We gathered some fire wood on the way back and we were greeted by a small group at the top of the hill. One of them saw us and said, "Oh boy, you guys haven't seen what happened yet." He said that a group came in and set up camp near our tent. I looked around and could see 3-4 other big sites that weren't taken yet. The man told me that they came in and started setting up at another site and saw that there was some garbage there. So instead of picking it up, or even switching to one of the other perfectly clean sites, they set up around our tent. ALL AROUND OUR TENT. I'm talking no fewer than 10 tents, literally surrounding our tent. That wasn't quite what I was expecting. I walked into our very crowded little site and jokingly asked the first adult I saw how long we had been gone because it seemed that a city had appeared in just under an hour. I was then told by a smart ass little twerp that there are some pretty nice sites up the hill that we could check out...I not-so-quietly suggested that he should check them out himself. None of the adults/parents/leaders said a word to us and were so oblivious that two of them asked where we had come from the following morning. They crammed so many tents into such a small space that one man's snoring kept us awake ALL night because his tent was only about 18 inches from ours. We counted at least 10 tents (with a minimum of two people each) and only 3 bear bags...that were maybe 3 feet from a tent. Cooking supplies were left out all night all around the tents. We saw several boys going down the hill to relieve themselves carrying toilet paper and never saw a trowel. Cell phones, laptops...it was a nightmare.

Some of the nearby campers didn't realize that we were not part of their group until it was too late. We looked for another suitable spot, but it was getting dark and we didn't want to relocate after setting everything up. I also had to lay there listening to a very young boy tell his friend about how he prefers to "read his violence" as opposed to watching it. Says it allows him to imagine it in a more realistic way. Our other neighbors felt so bad for us that they were willing to make room in their much smaller sites for us, but we didn't want to move in on someone else. It all worked out, but those poor scouts aren't learning a damn thing about the woods, or survival, or leave no trace, or even hiking and camping etiquette. The following morning, two of the adults passed us on the way to the lake and asked if that was our tent in the middle of theirs. When I explained the situation they apparently had no idea we were even there. We were offered a consolation hot chocolate before they headed out. Haha.

A.T.Lt
09-24-2014, 09:05
We set up camp near the Fingerboard shelter at a nice spot that was maybe 200 feet from the shelter. There were a few people set up at nearby spots and a couple groups down the hill. After we got our tent set up, and our food strung up, we headed down to the lake to fill up on water. The lake is roughly a half mile from the shelter. We gathered some fire wood on the way back and we were greeted by a small group at the top of the hill. One of them saw us and said, "Oh boy, you guys haven't seen what happened yet." He said that a group came in and set up camp near our tent. I looked around and could see 3-4 other big sites that weren't taken yet. The man told me that they came in and started setting up at another site and saw that there was some garbage there. So instead of picking it up, or even switching to one of the other perfectly clean sites, they set up around our tent. ALL AROUND OUR TENT. I'm talking no fewer than 10 tents, literally surrounding our tent. That wasn't quite what I was expecting. I walked into our very crowded little site and jokingly asked the first adult I saw how long we had been gone because it seemed that a city had appeared in just under an hour. I was then told by a smart ass little twerp that there are some pretty nice sites up the hill that we could check out...I not-so-quietly suggested that he should check them out himself. None of the adults/parents/leaders said a word to us and were so oblivious that two of them asked where we had come from the following morning. They crammed so many tents into such a small space that one man's snoring kept us awake ALL night because his tent was only about 18 inches from ours. We counted at least 10 tents (with a minimum of two people each) and only 3 bear bags...that were maybe 3 feet from a tent. Cooking supplies were left out all night all around the tents. We saw several boys going down the hill to relieve themselves carrying toilet paper and never saw a trowel. Cell phones, laptops...it was a nightmare.

Some of the nearby campers didn't realize that we were not part of their group until it was too late. We looked for another suitable spot, but it was getting dark and we didn't want to relocate after setting everything up. I also had to lay there listening to a very young boy tell his friend about how he prefers to "read his violence" as opposed to watching it. Says it allows him to imagine it in a more realistic way. Our other neighbors felt so bad for us that they were willing to make room in their much smaller sites for us, but we didn't want to move in on someone else. It all worked out, but those poor scouts aren't learning a damn thing about the woods, or survival, or leave no trace, or even hiking and camping etiquette. The following morning, two of the adults passed us on the way to the lake and asked if that was our tent in the middle of theirs. When I explained the situation they apparently had no idea we were even there. We were offered a consolation hot chocolate before they headed out. Haha.
As much as I love Harriman, and i grew up hiking and backpacking there, I seriously avoid it on the weekends, especially during peak hiking season for a lot of the reasons you stated above. It becomes really crowded , especially along the popular trails. Weekends bring droves of day hikers as well...

rafe
09-24-2014, 09:09
Im on OC also. A great 3 day hike is from 17A(Warwick) to High Point NJ or vice versa. First day can be a short 10 miles to the Wawayanda Shelter, next day you end up at Pochuck Shelter and then end your hike at High Point, Route 23 in Sussex NJ. There are places along the way to eat and or road crossings where you can bail if you want.. You get to experience rocks, some climbs and bogs.

That's a nice section. The walk along Greenwood Lake is a treat. But keep a sharp eye out and be careful. That section has a healthy black bear population.

KillerKarma
09-24-2014, 23:06
I've heard the Greenwood Lake/Port Jervis area is nice. I've spent time in the area, but never hiked it. I will have to add it to my list :)

hilltackler
09-25-2014, 07:48
Yep! that's the scouts in our area...it's really troubling to me that as an organization they teach, or I should say don't teach, leave no trace and proper storage of food and other scented items. Because when these guys grow up they are the knuckleheads that leave their trash behind among other things.

Unfortunately, this happens in alot of forest areas not just in Harriman. I had a similar experience in the Adirondacks, only they were adults. It was awful but thankfully not the norm... backpackers are usually the coolest bunch of people!

KillerKarma
09-25-2014, 08:29
The scouts aren't what they were when I was younger. The guys I know that went through back then are way more knowledgeable about camping and survival. Even if they haven't used the skills since, they still remember them.

My brother went on his son's first scout camping trip a few years ago while I was visiting him. They ended up having it catered! They also came home before the first night...like the whole troop. It drizzled. Haha.

I've thought about getting re-involved with the girl scouts, but they don't even camp anymore around here. We used to go at least once or twice a year.

Every other person we met was great! Nice, friendly, helpful. I just hope those kids' parents don't think that they are paying for their sons to learn about nature and survival and all that.

Step 1. Loose the DVD player.