PDA

View Full Version : West Highland Way

Mrs Baggins
09-10-2014, 15:24
Just wanted to toot my own horn :) Hubby and I walked the West Highland Way trail in Scotland, all 96 miles, in 8 days. Shortest day was 9 miles, longest was the last day at 16 miles from Kinlochleven to Ft. William. It was all so gorgeous and we loved every moment of it. Rained off and on the first 3 days, then sunshine every day after that. Had a brief, fast moving storm move in just as we were on the highest part of the Conic Hill section - rain, gale winds, clouds enveloping the hill - and that was scary. Thought the wind would get under my poncho and take me off that hill like a hang glider! The 13 mile section along Loch Lomond that is very rocky was tough only because it was raining off and on and the rocks were slick as snot. Made for some dangerous going. The rest was just spectacular walking. We used Mac's Adventures in Scotland to book the accommodations every night and port our bags ahead, so we only had to walk with day packs. Wishing now we'd gone ahead and done the Great Glen Way as well.

The Kisco Kid
09-10-2014, 16:03
Sounds like a nice trip. I did the first half when I lived in Glasgow.

rocketsocks
09-10-2014, 16:28
Very nice, any pictures? Mrs.B did ya hear anything about the vote in Scotland next week to regain the Country and be separate from England...what's the skinny on that?

Coffee
09-10-2014, 16:37
I looked up Mac's Adventures. Looks like a nice trip! Are there opportunities to legally camp along the way rather than staying at the Inns?

Mrs Baggins
09-11-2014, 03:32
Lots of pics. Just have to get them organized. And yes, the YES vote is a huge deal there. The latest poll had the vote at 50 - 50 and the NO voters and leaders scrambling to try to come up with a compromise of some kind. The NOs have a big problem with their campaign in that their TV ads are very condescending to the Scottish people (awful ads like "Look at all the fish and chips you could buy with the money we'll let you keep!" and "There's just too much to think about and I'm too busy to vote." ) and it's even angered other NO voters. Every newspaper has it on the front page and every BBC News broadcast starts with it. I told our cab drive, on the way to the Glasgow airport, that being from a country that fought and beat the Brits, we (hubby and I - not speaking for all of the US) were hoping the YES vote will win. The driver was a YES person and he kept thanking us for our support. There are big things, though, that they have not ironed out and that is very worrisome. The YES campaign is running commercials saying they'll keep the NHS free for all (the UK is slowly getting out of the health care biz and privatizing it) AND make college free for all.....zip zero nada about how they're going to pay for all of that. Little too much sunshine, unicorns, and rainbows. And no idea what currency they'll use. Kind of a big deal.

Mrs Baggins
09-11-2014, 03:37
Oh yes, there were many backpackers out there, camping every night. Most seem to just stealth camp anywhere along the way. I do know that there are actual campgrounds for them. The backpackers still stopped at the inns to use the pubs that they all have. They'd come in for a pint, some food, and then take off again. And most appeared to be in their late teens and twenties. Most everyone else was doing the inn to inn thing. The only way to make that last day any less than 16 miles would be to camp out. There is absolutely nothing in the way of inns, shops, etc between Kinlochleven and Ft. William. Water could be an issue. Lots of lovely streams and waterfalls....and lots of sheep and cattle using the streams.....

rocketsocks
09-11-2014, 04:54
Thanks for the skinny, most informative.