PDA

View Full Version : Water Situation Between Unicoi Gap and Wayah Bald?

AO2134
09-10-2014, 16:02
Anyone recently travel between Unicoi Gap and Wayah Bald (or any portion thereof) and know the water situation is like? I am going to be completing this section as two 2 day weekend hikes in September.

Any suggestions how much water I should carry? Ease of resupply of water. I have a sawyer filter.

Any advice would help! Thanks in advanced!

SteelCut
09-10-2014, 18:30
I'll be doing Neels Gap to Franklin starting on Saturday. I'm curious about the water situation as well in this area.

AO2134
09-10-2014, 18:37
I'll be doing Neels Gap to Franklin starting on Saturday. I'm curious about the water situation as well in this area.

I can tell you the water situation between Neel Gap to Unicoi Gap. It practically does not exist. There is little to no water between Neel Gap and Low Gap Shelter. The water at Low Gap Shelter is decent. Just passed low gap shelter (.2-.4 miles) there is a nice little spring right on the AT that is very easily accessible. From Low Gap Shelter on there are a few "springs" but largely dry. 1 spring near blue mountain allowed me to collect an oz or 2 at a time. Not much, but it was water and I filled 1.5 liters there. I did not stop at Blue Mountain Shelter so I cannot speak of the water source there. My recommendation, bring extra water from Neel. 2 liters at least. There will be no water until you to get to Low Gap Shelter 11 miles away.

I don't know about the water supply after Unicoi.

If you get a chance at a hostel/town, please keep me posted as you go about the water supply past Unicoi.

saltysack
09-10-2014, 20:05

No water issues from deep gap to winding stair gap( franklin)....plenty a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AO2134
09-10-2014, 22:01
Someone who hiked Springer to GA/NC border said this about water from Unicoi to border over labor day weekend with me.

"There was good water behind the Tray Mountain Shelter, water at Sassasfras Gap and very nice water at PlumOrchard Shelter. We packed enough water out of PlumOrchard that we didn't refill past Blue Ridge gap."

SteelCut
09-11-2014, 07:18
Thanks guys. I'll update the thread when I return with any updated information.

daddytwosticks
09-11-2014, 07:18
I hiked WSG to Long Branch Shelter and back as an overnighter on Labor Day Weekend. The water at all sources was flowing great and plentiful along this section. I was very surprised since we have had very low rainfall this year down in the nearby valleys. It's true, the mountains make their own weather, although very localized. :)

slbirdnerd
09-11-2014, 08:59
I hiked WSG to Long Branch Shelter and back as an overnighter on Labor Day Weekend. The water at all sources was flowing great and plentiful along this section. I was very surprised since we have had very low rainfall this year down in the nearby valleys. It's true, the mountains make their own weather, although very localized. :)

You didn't leave a collapsible dog bowl at Long Branch shelter, did you? Found it there on a lunch break 8/31. This was a great section, sorry I didn't run into you!

To the OP: I think I replied to your FB post with the same question. I wanted to add that I hope you have great views from Standing Indian and Albert Mountain! When you summit Standing Indian, continue past the clearing into the trees to get to a rock outcropping on the right. THAT is the good view. Here my video from Deep Gap to WSG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqj4_T1GrGo

Have a great hike!

MockingJay
09-11-2014, 09:36
We hiked from Rock Gap to the NOC back in late July and water was plentiful over the entire stretch except for the section between Wesser Bald and Rufus Morgan shelters. (I know that's not the section you're asking about but we went through our water quickly due to elevation, heat, and lack of water sources.) From Rock Gap to Wayah Bald, though, there seamed to be a good stream crossing or a spring every few miles so shouldn't be an issue for you there. Also, we hiked Deep Gap to Rock Gap back in late April and didn't have any water issues then either. Be advised...the guide book may say there's a spring below Standing Indian Mtn but we couldn't find it in April so I'd suggest watering just past Deep Gap or at Beech Gap in that section. One last thought...if the weather is gonna be clear and your plans allow...definitely plan to camp atop Siler Bald...you won't regret it. The views are simply amazing!

daddytwosticks
09-11-2014, 16:38
You didn't leave a collapsible dog bowl at Long Branch shelter, did you? Found it there on a lunch break 8/31. This was a great section, sorry I didn't run into you!

To the OP: I think I replied to your FB post with the same question. I wanted to add that I hope you have great views from Standing Indian and Albert Mountain! When you summit Standing Indian, continue past the clearing into the trees to get to a rock outcropping on the right. THAT is the good view. Here my video from Deep Gap to WSG:

Have a great hike!
Not my doggy bowl. Don't own a mutt, just a hairball cat. Maybe we'll meet on the trail someday! :)

saltysack
09-11-2014, 17:13

Have a great hike!

I set my tent up at that spot on top of si after raving at midnight on a night hike from si campground...great dunrise

saltysack
09-11-2014, 17:14
Typo
Arriving
Sunrise...damn fat fingers

AO2134
09-18-2014, 11:23
I will be doing a point and back hike this weekend from Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap. I will post a trip report and water report here instead of making a new thread. Expect it Sunday night or Monday night.