PDA

View Full Version : Tent Stakes

Jim Lynch
09-10-2014, 17:13
What's the current thinking on tent stakes these days? Light weight, good holding power along the AT. Using with a Tarptent Sublite. Need to replace my stakes after leaving them at my last campsite (bummer that!). (My little stake-bag blended in very nicely with the forest floor in the early morning!).

bigcranky
09-10-2014, 17:48
I like the Easton nail-style tent stakes (http://eastonoutfitters.com/product/nano-tent-stakes/). The six inch for corner stakes, and the 9 inch for side stakes where my tent puts a lot of pressure on the stake.

Don H
09-10-2014, 17:55
I like the Easton nail-style tent stakes (http://eastonoutfitters.com/product/nano-tent-stakes/). The six inch for corner stakes, and the 9 inch for side stakes where my tent puts a lot of pressure on the stake.

That's exactly what I use on the AT.
Out west I use MSR Ground Hog stakes in the rocky soil.

HooKooDooKu
09-10-2014, 17:59
I'm currently using the MSR MiniGroundhog. They have more than enough holding power... but it is a bit of a pain having to wipe three sides of a stake off when I've pulled them back up out of the ground.
They might not be as bad if you camp in dry conditions. But my primary camping is in GSMNP where there is high humidity, lots of rain, and therefore reasonably damp soil.

I like the stakes that came with my Big Agnes Copper Spur tent - J Stake (https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Accessory/J-StakeReplacementStake. They are similar in size and weight to the MiniGroundhog. But rather than a Y shape with 3 sides, it's V shape. Easier to clean. I just wish BA would add puller strings to the holes at the end of the stakes like the MiniGroundhogs come with (had to add the strings myself).

There's various places where you can get Titanium shepard's hook stake (http://lawsonequipment.com/Tent-Stakes-c132/ , http://gossamergear.com/shelters/tite-lite-tent-stakes.html)

I'd like to hear about anyone that has tried the MSR Carbon-Core tent stakes. They look to be as lightweight (and perhaps even lighter) than some of the titanium stakes. They should have more holding power than the thinnest titanium stakes since they have more surface area. But at $7.50 a piece (available only in sets of 4) they are definitely the most expensive option.

All things considered, I would say that I like my Big Agnes the best so far... just because they are relative cheap (@ $1.50 each), great holding power because of the V shape, and similar weight to the MiniGroundhog.

As for weight, it looks like about 0.35oz is standard for basic aluminum stakes (simple hooks, MiniGroundhog, J Stake and similar).
The ultra light weight (titanium and MSR Carbon-Core) are all around 0.2oz usually costing much more.

Coffee
09-10-2014, 18:27
The zPacks ultralight stakes have been very impressive. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/stakes.shtml I have used them in all sorts of soil in Colorado, the sierras and along the AT and they have held very well. And none of them have bent at all. Mine don't have the orange coating so the current ones will be harder to lose. I've yet to lose any of the eight I purchased but they can blend into the ground pretty easily. I've probably used them about 50 nights or so. There have been times when I've camped where no stakes can be used (places in the Sierra Nevada and everywhere in the Grand Canyon) and I use rocks in those places.

10-K
09-10-2014, 18:30
The zPacks ultralight stakes have been very impressive. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/stakes.shtml I have used them in all sorts of soil in Colorado, the sierras and along the AT and they have held very well. And none of them have bent at all. Mine don't have the orange coating so the current ones will be harder to lose. I've yet to lose any of the eight I purchased but they can blend into the ground pretty easily. I've probably used them about 50 nights or so. There have been times when I've camped where no stakes can be used (places in the Sierra Nevada and everywhere in the Grand Canyon) and I use rocks in those places.

I carry 4 of the zpacks shepherd hooks and 4 of the zpacks titanium V stakes. The orange heads on the shepherd hooks really does make a difference.

swjohnsey
09-10-2014, 19:44
I use some generic titanium shepard's hook.

Franco
09-10-2014, 21:22
It all depends on the soil type .
I carry a mix of the longer Easton, some Y and some nail type stakes.
Snow/sand type and Easton on snow.
On rocky soil the thin ti shepherd hook types can work well.

Odd Man Out
09-10-2014, 21:24
I have some Z-Packs titanium shepherd hook stakes, but I also have the UL dirtbag alternative - Aluminum gutter spikes. Less than a buck each at the hardware store. Who needs an outfitter when you have a good hardware store?

Tinker
09-11-2014, 00:10
It all depends on the soil type .
I carry a mix of the longer Easton, some Y and some nail type stakes.
Snow/sand type and Easton on snow.
On rocky soil the thin ti shepherd hook types can work well.

Ti wire stakes don't work well in loose fore duff. V or Y stakes are what I carry now.

Tinker
09-11-2014, 00:11
Forest duff. Problems with website or my cptr.

daddytwosticks
09-11-2014, 07:11
I use some generic titanium shepard's hook.

Ditto. Works well when setting up around hi use areas with compacted soil. Sometimes I'll put rocks on the stakes to prevent pull-out. :)

Tipi Walter
09-11-2014, 07:39

These nail type stakes are my go-to stakes for year-round backpacking/camping. They used to come standard with all Hilleberg tents until Hilleberg made a mistake and starting supplying all their tents with V-stakes or Y-stakes. Sure, these pegs look strong but they are hell on the hands to push in and pull out and I've had them snap in half in frozen ground.

The big problem with shepherd hook stakes is they will twist and spin out the guyline in a tough windstorm. When camping on an open bald in a 60mph windstorm, you don't want your guylines to fail and spring lose. Nail pegs never spin but will rarely pull completely out of the ground (any stake will) if the wind is great enough, ergo you have to place rocks on top of the stakes.

Nooga
09-11-2014, 09:10
Titanium shepherd hooks.

Coffee
09-11-2014, 09:12
I've been in some windy conditions with my Hexamid but have added rocks on top of the shepherd hooks in those situations. The Hexamid is surprisingly good in the wind but I always get jittery when wind picks up, if for no other reason than it gets difficult to sleep. I favor sheltered locations in most places but that's of course not always possible..

Just Bill
09-11-2014, 09:36
Current thinking, like all thinking contains many opinions:)
I think a fair summary is this-
Traditional types go with the Easton Nails, MSR Groundhog, or REI (or other housebrand) Y type stakes. They are heavy but do the job in any terrain.

UL types go with Titanitum shepherd hooks- you might as well buy the uncoated, the coated ones chip easily. One tip to combat Tipi's spinning comment; overdrive them so the tip of the hook is in the ground a bit. If you sink them at an more extreme angle (good idea anyway) of about 30-45 degrees in line with the direction of pull, you will find the end of the shepherd hook buries itself quite nicely and give you the most holding power with these little pins.

Truly UL types- pick up sticks, use rocks, guy to trees and generally get crafty. Although it's nice to carry one or two stakes, if you use a Caldera Cone Stove in wood mode you need a few anyway.

The "best" system- if there is a consensus around, this is likely it-
For those with Tarps or other high tension systems(like TIPI's tube, or trekking pole shelters)- size each stake to match it's purpose.
Heavy-Any ridgeline type shelter; use something sturdy for the critical tie-outs, maybe two groundhogs. As long as your ridgeline stays taut, the load on other stakes isn't as critical.
Medium- Mid span tie-outs, front door, vestibule, etc. Places where bomber anchor isn't needed, but some use/abuse may cause a stake to fail. Easton pin, TI pin, or 1/2" found stick.
Light- Corners on a mid, pull outs, etc. Use Ti hooks or found sticks.

By mixing it up to meet your needs you blend the best of all worlds in the lightest package possible. I used to only whittle tent pegs out of found sticks, but for the few grams of TI hooks I carry four of those. If a bad storm is coming I will take the time to back them up with something sturdier. Keep in mind that 80% of the time, you don't need a storm worth pitch. Often 3-6 stakes will do the job, and if the weather is building you can scrounge up enough stuff to truly guy out your shelter when the time comes. You can also rearrange your heavy/medium stakes to the windward side of the shelter, there is little force on the lee side.

For freestanding/hybrid shelters, medium and light are likely all you need.

The exception being terrain issue- rocky soil (up north)- pins are good, excessive loam (down south)- longer stakes like a groundhog, sand/snow- there are specialty stakes for those, though the longer groundhogs often due the job, as does the deadman technique with a found stick. Assuming you hit camp early enough, you can also set snow anchors with cordage if you allow the snow to harden prior to loading.

Also- this works extremely well- especially out west or during dry Midwestern summers when the soil really sets up hard.
http://www.pmags.com/quick-tip-tent-stakes-in-hard-ground

Another tip- to preserve your shelter and ease a little tension-
Use a short loop of 1/8" tent pole shock cord at your tie-outs prior to attaching your guyline. This stops you from over tensioning a UL shelter, and absorbs a little wind gust/shock force found in a typical storm. Truly nasty sustained winds need solid lines, but you can easily bypass the shock cord loop in those events. The shock cord gives you a little play as well on Mids, Tarps, or freestanding tents. You should only tension them halfway- if you pull them tight, you defeat the point.

Freebies-
Not sure about TI shepherd hooks? Get a wire coat hanger and snip a few off to try them for free. Snip once in the bottom, and about an inch up each side for the "hook"- you get two per hanger. You can round them with a hammer and piece of pipe if you want. They won't last forever, but they are basically free.
Sorta free- you can get Aluminum Pole Barn spikes, 40d(penny) nails, or landscape spikes at nearly any hardware store. We used these almost exclusively in our scout troop. Scouts lose stakes (usually by overdriving them)- a fifty pound box of pole barn nails will keep your troop in business without fighting about lost stakes. They are roughly the size of Easton pins, tie a small loop and hitch it to the nail and they are easier to pull back out. You can usually buy them loose, or by the pound for personal use.

July
09-11-2014, 09:44
Have used Aluminum gutter nails.

Hot Flash
09-11-2014, 13:07
Aluminum gutter spikes. Cheap, strong, light.

overthinker
09-15-2014, 10:52
Groundhogs all around. I hate waking up in the middle of the night to a popped stake, so I go burly with mine.

RED-DOG
09-15-2014, 11:37
Tent stakes are one of those items that are lost easily so don't go to the trouble to get the expensive one just get the cheap ones that way you want be pissed off when you do lose them.

July
09-15-2014, 22:17
Aluminum gutter spikes. Cheap, strong, light.
Yep, the head on the Nail , gotta know how to tie a knot. As with adjustible vs. non adj treking poles.

popcop
09-16-2014, 06:26
Gutter spikes. They are used to hang gutters they are six inches long and very light The work well sold in Lowes and Home Depot

daddytwosticks
09-16-2014, 07:08
^^Watch out for a new trail name..."Gutter Spike". :)

July
09-16-2014, 11:43
^^Watch out for a new trail name..."Gutter Spike". :)

Hey not too bad, heck of a lot better than "tent peg" :D

88BlueGT
09-16-2014, 12:04
I was using the thick blue Easton aluminum stakes for a while.... until one broke in the middle of a trip and had no backup. The ground was just too cold and hard for them and ended up snapping on me. I've recently switched over to something like these....

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12066987

No problems.... yet :)