PDA

View Full Version : Bug Shelter

Austin316
09-10-2014, 19:26
Hey guys,

New here and figuring things out... what do you guys do for bug protection when you don't want to be be locked up in a tent or hammock? Anyone have any hints to rig a giant mosquito net? I hate sleeping covered in bug spray so Im curious as to what people do when its really bug infested at night. Thanks in advance

Miner
09-10-2014, 20:23
I use a tarp/bivy instead of a tent as it's more flexible. The downside is using a tarp in bad weather properly takes a little practice to gain the proper experience needed. The advantage is my bug protection is seperate from my rain protection. Thus, the bivy can be used without the tarp when cowboy camping (sleeping out under the stars) or in an AT shelter. Some bivys (such as MLD's bug bivy) only provide bug protection. Others provide both bug protection and some wind protection like my borah gear bivy.

July
09-10-2014, 20:41
Some bivys (such as MLD's bug bivy) only provide bug protection. Others provide both bug protection and some wind protection like my borah gear bivy.

Two really good pieces of gear.

Wise Old Owl
09-10-2014, 21:58
Keep in mind a head net is not enough at night.

Tinker
09-10-2014, 23:53
Giant mosquito net? Try Integral Designs.

Tinker
09-11-2014, 00:00
Giant mosquito net? Try Integral Designs. Well, they USED to make the Bugamid. Just checked. No longer. Sorry..

daddytwosticks
09-11-2014, 07:14
I us a SMD Meteor Bug Bivy. I do not believe they make these any longer. Works great under a tarp/poncho or in AT shelters. :)

Tipi Walter
09-11-2014, 07:31
Hey guys,

New here and figuring things out... what do you guys do for bug protection when you don't want to be be locked up in a tent or hammock? Anyone have any hints to rig a giant mosquito net? I hate sleeping covered in bug spray so Im curious as to what people do when its really bug infested at night. Thanks in advance

You pose a strange question. First you say you don't want to be locked up in a tent or hammock, then you say you hate sleeping covered in bug spray. Where are you sleeping? In a tent or hammock? Is your hammock set up but you're sleeping in a bedroll cowboy-camping style? It's hard to understand. What's wrong with being locked up in a tent/hammock all night if you're sleeping anyway?

My last several summer trips have been exhaustively bad with noseeums (midges) biting me near constantly and mostly in camp. I always camp in shade and my tent is big so I can find relief at late afternoon if I stay in the tent and zip it up. Lay down and read, snack, etc. I don't use DEET. It also helps to bring some citronella stick incense (or other stick incense) and burn it in your tent vestibule. Repels flying bugs.

When I'm moving and backpacking the bugs don't bother me except for the occasional horse fly (not to mention stumbling into a yellow jacket nest). And of course ya gotta bring a decent lightweight headnet which is mandatory in bug country. It is worn 100% of the time until I'm inside my tent and zipped up etc.

Traveler
09-11-2014, 13:24
Giant mosquito net? Try Integral Designs.

Safety compels me to remind people, catching giant mosquitos in nets can be dangerous.

rocketsocks
09-11-2014, 14:04
...and when all is said and done, I use this.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlAW7z5F7DvgNtBNNeTI6zd2el6ozZS VZm6kO4glN7RMg0qIod:www.campbound.com/ProductImages/campaccessories/insectrepellent/AfterBite.jpg

Franco
09-11-2014, 22:54
Austin
this is where , in my opinion, a double wall with multi pitch option shelter can be a good choice.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Notch/Notch-on-snow-too.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Notch/Notchnetonly_zps2afcc8ce.jpg

For 27 oz you can get a shelter like the Tarptent Notch ( or a bit more if not using poles or the Moment...) so that it can be set up fly and inner or fly or inner as you like.
I set it always up fly with attached inner because I can open up the 4 door panels (one side only(two panels) is open here):
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Notch/Notch-size-inside_zpse54f3d1f.jpg
and if the weather changes it takes me less than a minute to have the fly down.
franco@tarptent