PDA

View Full Version : Final section hike

hopetofinish
09-10-2014, 22:05
Hope to finish the AT, hiking from VT 12 to Kinsman Notch at the end of the month! Planning on 8-9 days. Looking for any trail information, must see locations, advice or cautions that will make this a great finish. Would like to zero somewhere around Lyme, suggestions for that would be helpful. Thanks!

rafe
09-11-2014, 08:48
Lyme's a pretty sleepy place, not much there there as I recall. Hanover's only a days' walk south of there and has lots more going on. There aren't really a lot of attractions I can think of, in that stretch.

HighLiner
09-11-2014, 22:51
I did that section two years ago, not too bad. I finished the trail 2 weeks ago, my 27th section hike. The satisfaction is amazing, good luck. PS, going down the backside of the Moose is tough!

hopetofinish
09-20-2014, 12:48
I did that section two years ago, not too bad. I finished the trail 2 weeks ago, my 27th section hike. The satisfaction is amazing, good luck. PS, going down the backside of the Moose is tough!
Congratulations on your finish!!!
Decided to do Moose N to S, so will actually finish in Glenciff. Can't wait to get out there next week and do this.

Sailing_Faith
09-20-2014, 12:54
Congratulations on your finish!!!
Decided to do Moose N to S, so will actually finish in Glenciff. Can't wait to get out there next week and do this.

Wow, what an exciting hike! How long will you have taken to complete the trail? How long were the majority of the sections you did?

hopetofinish
09-20-2014, 20:08
Wow, what an exciting hike! How long will you have taken to complete the trail? How long were the majority of the sections you did?
To be honest, didn't set out to do it all, so not positive exactly when I started. I believe it was 2000 or 2001. Lots of hikes over long w/e's, tried to get out once a month, except for Dec., usually 30-40 miles. Ramped up mileage over the second half.
Am excited to attempt to finish!

CrumbSnatcher
09-20-2014, 21:29
congrats!
stay safe & have fun! maybe post some pictures :-)

hopetofinish
10-14-2014, 21:59
Did complete my final section and the AT! Had a great hike, great weather. Met up with a co-hiker the last 2 days. All the credit goes to the LORD for getting me to the finish line!
Topped it off with a cog railway trip up Mt Washington on a clear day!
Thanks to all the folks who provided advice and direction. Also, couldn't have done it without all the shuttle drivers!

rafe
10-14-2014, 22:31
Congratulations!

illabelle
10-15-2014, 05:25
Did complete my final section and the AT! Had a great hike, great weather. Met up with a co-hiker the last 2 days. All the credit goes to the LORD for getting me to the finish line!
Topped it off with a cog railway trip up Mt Washington on a clear day!
Thanks to all the folks who provided advice and direction. Also, couldn't have done it without all the shuttle drivers!
Well, hopetofinish, I hope to someday follow in your footsteps. Good job, and congratulations!

Don H
10-15-2014, 07:31
How did you handle doing multiple short hikes up north while living in NC? Do you travel and stay somewhere and do multiple hikes or do you just do one then go home?

Speakeasy TN
10-15-2014, 21:20
Congrats! Super accomplishment...............a lot to be said for determination

hopetofinish
10-15-2014, 21:48
How did you handle doing multiple short hikes up north while living in NC? Do you travel and stay somewhere and do multiple hikes or do you just do one then go home?

Did ramp up the mileage a bit but typically about 40 trail miles per trip, starting in PA. Don't mind driving so I would drive up starting at 3-4 am then shuttle and hike in a few miles on day 1, then did spend the night on the way back. Work schedule highly advantageous for this, am a nurse, so 12 hr shifts--3 on, 4 off. Total of 67 hikes over the years.

Don H
10-16-2014, 08:10
Thanks.
Good luck with finishing.