PDA

View Full Version : 40* sleeping bag

squeezebox
09-10-2014, 23:42
So what are the dates through which I can expect to comfortably use a 40* bag?

bangorme
09-11-2014, 00:03
Where? In Maine that's about over. I was up in the Katahdin area early this week and was glad I had my 20 degree bag.

squeezebox
09-11-2014, 00:47
Where? a though hike NOBO
I thinking of getting a 10* or 0* bag and a 40* bag. I'm not a cold weather person. I'm really afraid of hypothermia being out in the cold 24/7.
I'm not going to do a single 20* bag for the whole trip, even with a down jacket and warm clothes. So that brings me to starting with a cold weather bag that is unusable in July.
So when and where can I ditch the cold weather bag and down jacket etc. and when, where do I pick that stuff back up?

Kaptain Kangaroo
09-11-2014, 05:05
You really need to figure this out for yourself, as it depends on when you start, how fast you hike, where you will be at any particular time of the year and how much you feel the cold......too many variables for anyone else's information to be right for you..... There is plenty of information available about temperatures along the trail, you can use this with your expected schedule (and that will change) and your own experience with your temperature sensitivity to work out a plan.

Bronk
09-11-2014, 09:09
I started in February and carried a ten dollar 50* Walmart sleeping bag. Some people are cold in a zero degree bag. You just have to figure out what your tolerances are.

flemdawg1
09-11-2014, 09:55
Where? a though hike NOBO
I thinking of getting a 10* or 0* bag and a 40* bag. I'm not a cold weather person. I'm really afraid of hypothermia being out in the cold 24/7.
I'm not going to do a single 20* bag for the whole trip, even with a down jacket and warm clothes. So that brings me to starting with a cold weather bag that is unusable in July.
So when and where can I ditch the cold weather bag and down jacket etc. and when, where do I pick that stuff back up?

Most people doing a March-April start Nobo will change out sleeping bags in Pearisburg or Daleville in May. I did an early April GA section a few tears back using a 40 deg quilt and added a down jacket, beanie, etc. on nights that got below freezing. But I have no illusions that this would have worked in GSMNP.

saltysack
09-11-2014, 10:41
I'm only a southern 4 season section hiker and love my combo...
Winter marmot helium 15 deg
JRB Sierra stealth 45 deg quilt
I have found the 15 deg sufficient as can add additional cloths to drop down if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Bill
09-11-2014, 11:51
If you're truly a cold sleeper- a 32 degree bag may serve you better for the whole trip.
Add in a Capilene 4 type top, liner hat, warm hat/hood, and down top. A dry sleep only top like a Merino piece coupled with a loose fitting merino sock is another good choice.

Having the additional clothes will serve you better than the single sleeping bag when it's cold. The better way to handle hypothermia is to avoid it, not jump into a big bag at the end of the day. Remember your bag works on your body heat, nothing else. If you go to bed hypothermic, then you don't have enough body heat regardless of the temp rating. Learning to layer and regulate temps while hiking, carrying a stove that allows you to have quick hot meals/drinks, and bringing a hot water bottle for sleeping are overall better techniques to combat hypothermia. A warm sleeping bag is not a magic bullet.

The 32 degree bag, used as a quilt is doable when it's warm. You could also send the 32 degree bag home in the worst heat and sleep in your down jacket or purchase a cheap liner/sleep sheet. In true summer- no sleeping bag, even a 40 degree, is cool enough really, on some summer trips- I just carry a heavier shirt and wind pants to sleep in and leave the bag at home.

Overall, all the loose clothing pieces will be the same weight and cost as a quality zero degree down bag. With the clothes you'll have a much more versatile kit overall for all seasons (and a deeper gear closet after the hike). It will also be easier to send home a piece here or there as conditions improve. The main thing though as mentioned. You sleep for eight hours in your bag- you walk or sit around exposed to the elements for 16 hours- stay warm during the day. Even if your warm bag allows you to recover, your sleep will not be very restful, leaving you poorly prepared and fighting the following day. Eventually, you lose this battle every time despite the warm bag.

You have to play it by ear on sending stuff home, as far as picking it back up- sometime between Killington and Hanover depending on conditions is fairly typical.

Just Bill
09-11-2014, 11:57
Also- Don't underestimate the power of dry socks, a light fleece hat, and gloves. Wearing these pieces during the day goes a long way to keeping you warm.
I wear a skirt down to the 30's, with hat, good socks, gloves, and usually a merino top, cap 4, and windshell. This keeps me warm without sweating- being able to slip the hat and gloves on and off as I walk over changing terrain makes it easy to regulate my body temp. The biggest mistake people make is overdressing combined with sweating heavy as you make a climb, then sitting around on a windy overlook enjoying the view.

Open the jacket, remove the hat and gloves, vent your baselayers on a climb or tough slog. When you hit the top, layer up and enjoy the view- maybe with a cup of tea if it will be a long stop.

squeezebox
09-14-2014, 13:03
Thanks Just Bill
Your thoughts about covering head and hands makes a lot of sense.
I'm wondering if some sort of reverse cumberbun , some insulation that covers your kindeys would be helpfull.
Would be easy to make.
Or maybe even stick a piece of CCF to your hip belt as insulation

bigcranky
09-15-2014, 07:11
On a thru-hike you'll figure out when to swap bags, just make sure you wait until you get north of Mt. Rogers. Pearisburg is a popular choice, and there is a good outfitter in Daleville if you want to buy the bag then. Depending on how fast you hike, plan to get your warmer bag back somewhere in New England.

For a nobo thru-hike starting, say, March 1, the 10F bag (or maybe even a 0F) is a good choice for cold sleepers.

rocketsocks
09-15-2014, 07:51
Thanks Just Bill
I'm wondering if some sort of reverse cumberbun , some insulation that covers your kindeys would be helpfull.
Would be easy to make.
I don't know about a cumberbun type thing, but something around my neck (fleece neck gaiter, or scarf) always keeps me toasty.

Just Bill
09-15-2014, 09:07
Thanks Just Bill
Would be easy to make.

Technically, you're likely wearing one- your pack.
Two pieces though that do make sense along your line of thought-
I wear a windshell nearly year round. A Patagonia Houdini in my case, but many similar shells exist. Cutting wind adds immensely to the warmth of anything you choose to wear, and it's quick and easy to slip on and off, small enough to fit in your water bottle pocket. Wind cuts very easily through nearly all baselayer and fleece layers, simply cutting the wind is a huge difference, as is slipping on the windshell after a sweaty climb to avoid "flash cooling", where the more exposed top of a climb leaves you on flat terrain and exposed. That double whammy of decreased effort and increased breeze gets people quickly and can plunge you into a lightly hypothermic state in minutes.

Couple the windshell with a vest. If you wear the vest backwards, it can be put on under your windshell, but over your pack to create a warm, but not sweaty insulation piece. typically you will be too hot along your back, but could easily be chilled on the front of your torso. By wearing your vest this way you won't sweat out the back of it and it will still be effective on breaks and during rest stops. You can also easily remove or add the vest as you travel, sometimes as simply as pushing it down around your belly to vent your chest.

Along your CFF line of thought. A Z-rest (egg crate) style foam pad is a common piece carried by many in the form of a sit pad. This small rectangle can be cut to fit well to provide extra insulation along your front in a similar manner to the vest. You can wrap it around your torso and the pre-folded nature of the pad will let it fit you well enough. Again, wear it under your windshell and it will serve like a grid fleece and create another layer of dead air/insulation.

As socks mentioned, a scarf, bandana, gaiter, or buff is a pretty versatile piece that can be layered in many locations. (neck, torso, head, etc.)

The little bits do the most good when in motion or even on breaks. You want to strike the balance between cool and cold so you don't sweat. While having a nice insulating piece to toss on during a full stop is nice, you will get more use out of little tricks and light pieces to micro adjust your temps as terrain(activity level) changes, rest stops, full breaks, or climate shifts during the day. Gloves, Hats, and windshell are all small, easy to add or remove, and fit nicely in pockets that keep them handy. They should be your first line of defense.

squeezebox
09-15-2014, 09:37
Thanks yall !!

RED-DOG
09-15-2014, 11:33
July and August other than those two months i wouldn't be caught out their with a 40 degree bag.:datz

Grampie
09-15-2014, 21:24
Started my thru on April 15. I took a 20 degree bag. Experienced several nights in the teens and twentys. One night went down to 8 degrees. Spring time down south still offers some cold nights.