PDA

View Full Version : Warbonnet Blackbird or Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym Zip? Or something else?

slbirdnerd
09-11-2014, 09:04
In the interest of sleeping better and staying drier, I'd like to try hammocking. From researching, I like a lot of the features of the WBBB and Asym Zip. Which hammock do you like and why? Which tarp do you use with it? Thanks!

EastCoastClimber
09-11-2014, 18:46
In the interest of sleeping better and staying drier, I'd like to try hammocking. From researching, I like a lot of the features of the WBBB and Asym Zip. Which hammock do you like and why? Which tarp do you use with it? Thanks!

Started out on the HH UL Backpacker Asym, it was bottom velcro entry. I ended up going DIY gathered end hammock for weight and the ability to not have a bug net. Bug nets are great for when you want them, but I like being able to sit up/enter exit without having to zip myself in. I'm looking at getting a bugnet for just my top half (head to waist), there is something out there but I forget who makes it. Quality is great for HH. Very light at 31oz and the material seems very durable. There is someone that did over 10,000 miles with this hammock.

Never tried WBBB, but I always hear good things. They are probably a bit more roomy, than HH UL. I'm 6'1 and I wouldn't want to sleep in my HH if I was any taller, but it's plenty comfy for me now.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the velcro bottom entry, but I am selling one in the for sale thread if you're interested in saving some money. I know 2QZQ can mod the HH so you can have side zip entry, full zip entry, and they can sew the bottom entry closed if you want.

kayak karl
09-11-2014, 18:55
i have the ultra explorer. had 2Q (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?70-2QZQ-Hammock-Specialties-%28Hennessy-Bugnet-Zipper-Mods%29) put a zipper mod on it. got mine in '08 they didn't sell the zipper one then. i have had WB hammocks, but didn't like them. just a personal choice.

gbolt
09-11-2014, 19:55
Like you, I research hammocks a great deal and was ready to purchase the Asym. Also like you, I liked some of the features on the WBBB. I would suggest not purchasing either until you are more than 90% sold on one or the other. I ended up with the WBBB because of customer service and multiple questions answered in emails by Brandon. I also watched lots of Video's on both Hammocks. I then created a list of personal Pro's and Con's for each because both are quality hammocks and both have plenty of followers (defender's, ie. me for WBBB and Karl for the ultra explorur). For me the key personal issues were mainly ease of set-up and trust in the hammock because of a 1st time-off the ground user. I wanted the all in one, bugnet, dbl for pad and working to get my hanging experience as close to a tent experience as possible. I really worried about the asym tarp coverage. I currently use the Edge, however, I do not extent the shoulder seasons into winter, which imho requires a Superfly or Cuben Fiber Palace. Again, imho, the Warbonnet had a lot less learning curve to it while I figuratively and literallly weighed the value of my purchases. The next thing about Warbonnet is that it has great resale value should one consider changing their hammock set up totally. Finally, consider what your ultimate goal/purpose is. I do plan on hiking the AT so a dbl for pad to allow for shelter sleeping was important as well as knowing that in the future I will be purchasing a 3/4 UQ rather than a full. Packability and weight were major issues for me. Just remember that there are no wrong decisions, as long as you personally learn and adjust. I must say that now that I am off the ground, i don't want to ever go down!

slbirdnerd
09-12-2014, 12:04
Thanks, guys. Gbolt, your observations and requirements are very similar to mine this far and very valuable with respect to possibly going with the WBBB.

T-Rx
09-12-2014, 12:57
I have used both the Hennessy and the WBBB. I am a big guy 6'4" 215lbs. And I found the WBBB to be a much better fit for me personally. My wife now uses the Hennessy and loves it. We both use use a Cuben fiber tarps. Hope this helps.

biggcarl
09-12-2014, 13:14
Don't know where you are in Ohio but there's a huge hammock hang in PA starting oct 10th. You'll see just about every hammock there is there. More info at hammockforums.net