PDA

View Full Version : hiking with a pacemaker and WB trail partners.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
09-11-2014, 14:01
Back in august I tried to put together a small group to hike SOBO from Abol bridge to Monson, Maine. We were able to connect with four nterested folks on the WB to do the hike. .Some plans changed but all in all we still got together on 30th of August. Magneto and I stayed at the AT lodge ( kudos to Paul and Ty ,they took care of us like we were thier own family) The AT cafe lived up to its reputation as we had breakfast there before departing on our hike that included : John from Bar Harbor, Joan from Pennsylvania, and Magneto from Massachusetts and I from Virgina linked together for the hike.
It was understood from the start that it would be a hike your own hike event. I just had a pacemaker installed and had some concerns of how I would do in the 100 mile wilderness. I found out very early into my hike that one of the problems I was going to have was with the strap of my backpack back rubbing against my pacemaker, the biggest concern would be if my leads to and from my pacemaker pulled away from my heart. I had added a car seat belt pad to hopefully alleviate the problems ,unfortunately for me , the rubbing continued through the hundred mile wilderness . On the bright side ,however, I was able to hike without exertion and able to keep up with much younger hikers than I. The hike was all the challenge that I had expected and I found out I was tired at the end of each evening hike. I also found out that I was very concerned whether or not other hikers would have to take care of me if something happened while in this remote area. That weighed heavily on my decision to stop my hike which I did at the Jo Mary road.. I just didn't want to be a burden to any other hikers, even though I carry the SPOT just in case. There was no doubt in my mind that I could have continued my hike had I not had the fear I'd be requiring assistance. I will just have to trust my good judgment and wisdom along with the wisdom of thru hikers and those that are hiking on the trail to provide guidance on whether I should or should not continue on tne trail. The kicker for me to get off the trail, just to humor you was when a 12 foot tree branch, 6 inches in diameter fell on my tent at 6:17 in the morning just as I got out to wake Jon so he could get a early out of camp.
I can tell you I probably met at least 20 great hikers during this trip in fact many of them were folks that I had provided trail majic to in March at Springer Mountain and in the Shenandoah National Park. To the Kalan family , and 19 it was great to see you complete your hike. To Jon, Joan, Magneto,Doc, jerry, thank you for your concerns and conversations while on the trail. To the trail maintainer's and all who support the trail thank you for making this trip so enjoyable. To the southbounders hopefully I'll see you in the Shenandoah National Park and I will provide you a great campsite and great food . Tic Toc