PDA

View Full Version : Erwin, TN. : Mary the elephant

Lone Wolf
09-11-2014, 18:12
http://www.wcyb.com/news/etsu-students-build-replica-of-mary-the-elephant/27994510

10-K
09-11-2014, 18:26
hahaha! I get asked about that elephant all the time...

rickb
09-11-2014, 18:42
Here is a video for background. Good images of Erwin, but some parts of the story are unsettling -- including the images at the 6:45 mark of the chain breaking.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I3C68P7c8pc

Not sure how popular the students are going to be around town. Do you know if the are going to string up the sculpture, Lone Wolf? If so, I hope they do so respectfully.

rocketsocks
09-11-2014, 19:37
That is seriously twisted.

Teacher & Snacktime
09-11-2014, 22:23
Snacktime refused to look at the photos about the hanging after hearing the story from Uncle Johnny. I quote: "That story was horrific. Why would I want to see pictures of such a thing?"

I heartily concur.

lemon b
09-12-2014, 08:02
The old days are gone. Even worse was the last public hanging was also down that way. Either Tn or Ky in the 1930's. Lets just say certain areas were lacking in education. Kinda like in Iran a few years back where 30,000 showed up for the announced execution of the half lion/half woman. Obviously 30,000 who could neither read nor write.

Tennessee Viking
09-12-2014, 09:28
The real story actually started in Kingsport (my sweet hometown) where the elephant killed one of her handlers and the town demanded her death. They initially tried to hang her there but the elephant's weight broke the crane. So they moved hanging to Erwin.

10-K
09-12-2014, 09:32
The real story actually started in Kingsport (my sweet hometown) where the elephant killed one of her handlers and the town demanded her death. They initially tried to hang her there but the elephant's weight broke the crane. So they moved hanging to Erwin.

Right - and in my above post I didn't mean to make fun of killing an elephant!

Just that people from all over the country come to Erwin and that's one of the most widely known things about the town. Heck of a thing to be known for.

atmilkman
09-12-2014, 09:57
The old days are gone. Even worse was the last public hanging was also down that way. Either Tn or Ky in the 1930's. Lets just say certain areas were lacking in education. Kinda like in Iran a few years back where 30,000 showed up for the announced execution of the half lion/half woman. Obviously 30,000 who could neither read nor write.
It was in KY outside of Louisville somewhere. My great aunt told me about it one time. She said they sold hot dogs and lemonade for the "show".

Lone Wolf
09-12-2014, 12:02
Just that people from all over the country come to Erwin and that's one of the most widely known things about the town. Heck of a thing to be known for.

that and nuke fuel

10-K
09-12-2014, 12:27
I try not to think about Nuclear Fuel Services just down the road...

Old Grouse
09-12-2014, 13:23
Snacktime refused to look at the photos about the hanging after hearing the story from Uncle Johnny. I quote: "That story was horrific. Why would I want to see pictures of such a thing?"

I heartily concur.

I concur as well. I try very hard to avoid devoting any of my few remaining brain cells to that sort of thing - or for that matter to Real Housewives, or Keeping Up With [Gack....I can't even type the name!]