PDA

View Full Version : Blackbird XLC Winter Cover and April Temperature

shinkiro
09-11-2014, 19:03
Hey all. Does anyone here have experience using the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC's winter cover? I haven't been able to find much on it, even on the hammock forum. For those who don't know, it's a replacement/substitute for the bug netting made out of the same material as the hammock itself, and the website claims it "traps" 15 degrees of heat in the hammock.

I wonder if I could get away with an early April (first week) departure date, using the XLC hammock with the cover, a summer-weight (50-ish degrees) bag/quilt (like this: http://www.campsaver.com/alpine-down-hugger-800-thermal-sheet), a Yeti UQ (20 degrees), a Gossamer Nightlight pad for the foot end, and some warm clothes? I sleep warm and my 15 degree mummy bag without bottom insulation isn't well suited for use as a quilt.

Obviously the best way to determine is to test it... but I've ordered the hammock/quilt and it hasn't arrived yet, so any feedback would be much appreciated. Am I crazy for thinking that'd be warm enough?

mudsocks
09-11-2014, 20:12
In my experience the top cover adds about five degrees tops and sometimes depending on weather conditions condensation. The top cover isn't a substitute for a proper temperature rated top quilt.

shinkiro
09-11-2014, 21:48
Hmm. Now I kind of regret spending the extra money on it, since I'll need to buy more/different stuff. Maybe I can make the 15 degree bag work, it's heavy but at least that way I'd have something for the Smokies when I can't hang. Hopefully I'll be able to do a few cold weather test runs next month up in the mountains- it's still over 70 degrees at night here in SoCal.

lilricky
09-12-2014, 07:20
There's always the For Sale forum, plenty of XLC users who didn't buy a top cover are looking for one.

Hmm. Now I kind of regret spending the extra money on it, since I'll need to buy more/different stuff. Maybe I can make the 15 degree bag work, it's heavy but at least that way I'd have something for the Smokies when I can't hang. Hopefully I'll be able to do a few cold weather test runs next month up in the mountains- it's still over 70 degrees at night here in SoCal.

Flounder940
09-12-2014, 11:50
The key to the Smokies is let the shelter fill up, then you can hang. Get to the shelter and cook dinner while waiting for it to fill up. Problem solved.

shinkiro
09-12-2014, 15:11
It sounds like Brandon is going to let me change my order to a standard Blackbird. I felt bad asking, but that extra $90 will cover another piece of gear... or two.

Flounder, I've heard conflicting things about that. Do you think we (hiking buddy and me, both hangers) would get hassled/fined if someone got up early and vacated the shelter before the Ranger showed up? I bet they've heard "but the shelter was full, I swear!" a million times. :)

Flounder940
09-12-2014, 15:42
If you're starting in April, there will be SEVERAL other people tenting right beside you. The Smokies will be busy by the time you get there. I wouldn't be worried at all about getting fined.

shinkiro
09-12-2014, 16:30
Cool, good to hear.