PDA

View Full Version : Compact, Lightweight and Inexpensive Digital Camera

Teatime
10-12-2005, 07:17
Does anyone have any recommendations concerning compact, lightweight digital cameras? I've seen some of the Aiptek Pen cameras that are very small, lightweight and inexpensive. Polaroid has a few as well as Kodak. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new camera, just something I can take on the trail with me and not have to worry about it.

Peaks
10-12-2005, 07:47
For what it's worth, I have recently switched from compact (pocket sized) 35mm film camera to digital.

I'm currently using a Nikon coolpix 5600: 5 mpixals, AA batteries, about 6 ounces.

Have you checked out dpreview.com?

MacGyver2005
10-12-2005, 07:51
I will throw in my 2¢ on this. You get what you pay for. If you get a cheap camera, you'll end up with really poor pictures. So with that, why even waste your time and energy carrying a cheap camera and taking all of those pictures just so you can end up with a ton of grainy, poorly lit pictures that no one can distinguish? Digital cameras are becoming a great tool now, as you can get them for relatively little. You can get a quality digital camera for ~$150 and be satisfied with the results and even 4x6 prints. Personally, the trail was a once in a lifetime adventure for me, and I was more concerned with getting the most out of it. I carried a Canon PowerShot s410 and am amazed by how great the pictures are. The newer version of it can be had at Wal-Mart for about $250, and to me it is worth every penny. Get a large memory card or two, carry a little extra weight, and capture your memories for a lifetime.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

MacGyver2005
10-12-2005, 07:53
I'm currently using a Nikon coolpix 5600: 5 mpixals, AA batteries, about 6 ounces.

Have you checked out dpreview.com?
www.dpreview.com (http://www.dpreview.com) is an excellent resource. I can also add that Nikon and Canon are two of the best out there from doing a lot of research trying to find the best cameras for my uses.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Granger
10-12-2005, 09:37
Not the cheapest camera out there but the Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-P200 is a great little camera. Not a lot of optical zoom but at 7.2MP it makes cropping pics easy. To conserve space on the memory stick I tend to use it in 4MP mode unless I am taking a pic of an overlook or if I know I am going to want to crop the pic later.

I found this little camera bag for about $10 that fits on my hip belt so I never have to go digging for the camera.

http://www.caselogic.com/sport_horizontal_camera_case/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=57073

Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-P200

Runs about $350

Dimensions

Height
2.0 inches
Width
4.0 inches
Depth
1.0 inches
Weight
0.3 lbs

jackiebolen
10-12-2005, 11:38
I just got the Pentax Optio WP. It's 5 MP, crazy light and the coolest thing is that it's waterproof! It really is...I've taken underwater pics with it! A bit expensive (got mine for $500 Cad.) but well worth it. I take it out in the rain all the time when I'm hiking and have no worries about getting it wet. I actually leave it in my front pocket of my hiking pants because it's so small.

betic4lyf
10-12-2005, 19:40
the digital camera i have is a olympus c765. it is cool cuz it has a large zoom, and the auto focus and exposure work well. I dont use it much becuase i like taking photos, and enjoy the developing and printing myself. Right now my favorite camera is a Holga 120s. pure awesome.

Shutterbug
10-13-2005, 01:15
Does anyone have any recommendations concerning compact, lightweight digital cameras? I've seen some of the Aiptek Pen cameras that are very small, lightweight and inexpensive. Polaroid has a few as well as Kodak. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new camera, just something I can take on the trail with me and not have to worry about it.
I just completed a 12 day hike on the AT in Maine carrying a Nikon Cool Pix 5200. I bought it from Costco for $249. The charge on the rechargable battery lasted about a week. Because I didn't know how long it would last, I carried 5 of them. I only used one and part of the second one.

The pictures were not as good as I get with my Nikon D70, but were certainly acceptable. You may see my pictures at http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/at/at.html

CynJ
10-13-2005, 01:31
Shutterbug- great pics! It seems to do well with the colors and contrasting.

How does it do on the closeups?

I've got a 35mm Minolta Maxuum that I LOVE it takes such great pictures. But a digital would certainly be easier to use when hiking.

I don't have many pics online - but some of my 2002 Disneyworld trip on here- http://www.geocities.com/cynjendrejcak/navi1.html - just click on Disney then photos. The most impressive ones are on the Safari and the Maharaja Trek-Tigers.

I just want to find a digital that will give me the same range and feel.

Shutterbug
10-13-2005, 01:49
If you want to campare with your Minolta SLR, check out the Nikon D70. It compares favorably in every way. Of course, it is too large to fit in a pocket.

The Coolpix does well on closeups, except that I have a problem framing the close up pictures. I am at an age that I have to wear reading glasses to focus on things that close. I don't usually get out my glasses to use the camera, so I don't do many close up photos. The limitation is mine, not the camera.

betic4lyf
10-13-2005, 20:21
i dont like most of the film cameras out there. they are all so automated, that i dont see why to get one over a dgicam. if i were to buy a new camera, which i cant because i dont have the money, i would be a nikon fm3a, fully manual and awesome. I feel that if you want a simple camera to take pictures, the only boat in town is digital. If on the other hand you get more serious a good film camera is important.

oh and some cameras offer "diopter correction" which adjusts for your eyes. i know that the c765 (olympus) does, though i dont know how well it works'

my $3.25

tville_hiker
10-14-2005, 09:33
my brother has the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-M1, it's about $500 though
it's a nice compact camera though, pretty neat lil thing
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/m1.html

i have a Kodak Easyshare CX7300 it's bulky and i hate it:D the picture quality is OK...it was only a $100 so i cant expect too much..it'll hold me over untili get my Canon Digital Rebel XT or Nikon D70:jump

otterman
11-01-2005, 14:33
I would not go cheap. You'll end up spending the money in the long run anyway because you probably won't like the original cheapy. I've used Nikon for thirty years now. Most are rugged with great optics. Definetly check out dpreview.com as the others said. They will give you more information on a digital camera than you ever wanted to know.