PDA

View Full Version : Pine Mountain Trail

MOWGLI
10-12-2005, 11:07
Check out the following link from Nashville's paper - The Tennessean - about the Pine Mountain Trail in Kentucky.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2005510100339

This AP article also appeared in the Lexington & Louisville, KY papers. The photos are mine, as are a couple of quotes.

If anyone is interested in volunteering to help construct this great trail, please visit the following website;

http://www.pinemountaintrail.com/vol.htm

Jeffrey Hunter

Gray Blazer
10-12-2005, 11:52
Sounds like you are doing good work. Can't help you now, but, in the future, who knows?
According to my research, Pine Mountain is 3000 ft? Didn't know you had mountains in Kentucky. The highest mountain in Florida is Mount Dora.

The Solemates
10-12-2005, 12:09
this is the number one reason why i like WB so much....to hear about new trails.

in the future, when both trails are complete, will there be a potential way to link the pine mtn trail with the cumberland trail northern terminus? i couldnt find a good overall map online.

MOWGLI
10-12-2005, 12:14
Sounds like you are doing good work. Can't help you now, but, in the future, who knows?
According to my research, Pine Mountain is 3000 ft? Didn't know you had mountains in Kentucky. The highest mountain in Florida is Mount Dora.

Black Mountain is the next ridge over to the east, and is 4000' in a few places. It's nice country. I woke up to a Black Bear entering camp on an April backpacking trip. The Elk herd on Pine Mountain is expanding. Its a very different experience from the AT.

MOWGLI
10-12-2005, 12:21
in the future, when both trails are complete, will there be a potential way to link the pine mtn trail with the cumberland trail northern terminus? i couldnt find a good overall map online.

That's the plan. In fact, the photo of the two hikers in the article. Mark Stanfill is the Volunteer Program Manager for the Cumberland Trail Conference and Shad Baker is the President of the Pine Mountain Trail Conference. I got them together for a 30-mile backpack/bushwack. They talked alot about connectivity, and we scouted some new areas for trail. The Pine Mountain Trail Conference just built a new shelter in a cove that we scouted during this April '04 trip. Its pretty cool to be part of the trail development and to see how these things unfold.

Regarding maps, a large group of stakeholders is currently in the process of finalizing a name for the trail system from Champlain to Big Cypress. Once that is finalized, the NPS will assist with rolling out a map of the entire system.

Stay tuned and check your local listings...

The Solemates
10-12-2005, 16:18
awesome. keep us upated in the months to come!