PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mountain to Dicks Creek

foxiedoxie
09-13-2014, 09:49
My husband and I are planning on heading out October 10th or 11th and hike to Dick's Creek. Our current plan is to park at FS42 and hike to Springer Mountain. We are planning on doing this in 6-7 days and wanted to know the best suggested plan as to where to stop and camp. We do have the map and the updated book. We have hiked some of the AT in the past but only spent one night before coming out the next day. I am 52 and my husband 53 who exercise regularly and have hiking experience carry backs weight in and around 35-40 lbs. What are some absolute stop points for camping that you would recommend along with water supply. We both carry a 2L reservoir and I have a platypus water filter system..thanks for any tips or suggestions that will help us on our first multiple day hiking journey. Also what is the weather this time of year. Thanks in advance.:-?

daddytwosticks
09-13-2014, 13:09
Weather is really nice that time of year, unless there is some tropical activity. You're from Florida, so I assume you'll know about that. Good tree leaf color that time. Search some recent threads here about water issues. Have a great hike, :)

FatMan
09-13-2014, 14:31
Camp sites are abundant in GA and water is running well in all places. Leave the plans at home and hike until you feel like stopping. Seven days is about right IMO. As said in the post above it is a great time to hike. Wear some orange as primitive hunting season is that week. Enjoy!

foxiedoxie
09-13-2014, 14:53
Thanks for the reply's..especially about the hunting the season. Any favorite campsite with great views that you have experienced? Also about food? We plan on breakfast bars to go for the mornings and maybe P and J for lunch...I have the MSR stove so noodles and such and night with trailmix for snacks..what else holds up good and doesn't weigh much. Thanks again for your help

AO2134
09-13-2014, 15:03
I like FatMan's advice. I would do it that way. However, if you must have a plan this would be my suggestion:

Day 1: Springer to Hawk Mt Shelter 8.1 miles. Last good water source for 6-7 miles.
Day 2: Hawk Mt. Shelter (bring water) to Preaching Rock campsite (dry). 13.7 miles resupply water at woody gap for night.
Day 3: Preaching Rock to Neel Gap (stay at hostel; shower bed, laundry). 9.9 miles Get water at Lance Creek, and Slaughter creek.
Day 4: Neel Gap to Low Gap. Rehydrate well at hostel and bring a lot of water. There will be practically no water between Neel and Low Gap Shelter. 11.5 miles
Day 5: Low Gap Shelter to Blue Mountain Shelter. Bring water from Low Gap Shelter, while not completely dry section, getting water is a pain. I do not know how water is at Blue Mountain Shelter as I did not stay there for my labor day weekend hike. 7.3 miles.
Day 6:Blue Mt. Shelter to Sassafras Gap. 12.8 miles
Day 7: Sassafras to Dick's Creek. 6.3 miles.

I did this part of this section over labor day weekend.

Day 1 was Springer to Gooch Mt. Shelter. 17ish miles.
Day 2 was Gooch Mt. Shelter to Neel Gap hostel 16ish miles.
Day 3 was Neel Gap to Low Gap 11ish miles + 7.2 miles of back hiking to find dropped camera (which I did).
Day 4 was 1/2 day from Low Gap to Unicoi. 9ish miles

Next weekend I plan to finish GA. I will post a trip report here with water/trail condition/what I learned.

Hope this helps.

Cookerhiker
09-13-2014, 15:03
I recall that in the spring, there were camping restrictions for the few miles before Neel Gap because of bear activity. Have those been lifted, or is a bear canister required?

AO2134
09-13-2014, 15:06
I recall that in the spring, there were camping restrictions for the few miles before Neel Gap because of bear activity. Have those been lifted, or is a bear canister required?

No restriction currently. That ended in July I think.

foxiedoxie
09-13-2014, 15:26
Thanks..that does give me a guide of some such and I've heard or read nothing but good things about neel gap and looking forward to that stop. I read your journal of that one trip you lost your camera...I too have tendency to get blisters and carry mole skin with me....bought new boots last year so hopefully they will be less on this multiple day hike....very excited about the hike....thanks again for your guide. Looks like you didn't drink or eat much either...LOL

AO2134
09-13-2014, 15:35
Thanks..that does give me a guide of some such and I've heard or read nothing but good things about neel gap and looking forward to that stop. I read your journal of that one trip you lost your camera...I too have tendency to get blisters and carry mole skin with me....bought new boots last year so hopefully they will be less on this multiple day hike....very excited about the hike....thanks again for your guide. Looks like you didn't drink or eat much either...LOL

I drank a lot, except day 3. Eat? yea, not so much. I try to camp where there is water to rehydrate since I dislike to resupply water during a hike.

It is a great section. You will enjoy the hike. Make sure you hit Long Creek Falls on day 1. It is just off AT. Hard to miss.

foxiedoxie
09-13-2014, 16:47
sounds great...I have actually seen long creek falls as we once drove to three forks and hiked in for an overnighter...but I will go see again cause it was so nice....now folks are talking bout bears....a parachute rope and bag over tree for food at night should be good...right?

AO2134
09-13-2014, 18:09
sounds great...I have actually seen long creek falls as we once drove to three forks and hiked in for an overnighter...but I will go see again cause it was so nice....now folks are talking bout bears....a parachute rope and bag over tree for food at night should be good...right?

I would, thought I never had to yet because my sleeping locations always had bear cables. Although there are a fair amount of people here (to my surprise) who sleep with their food, I would recommend hanging.

bigcranky
09-13-2014, 19:21
Seven days is reasonable for that section. AO2134's plan is pretty good, though be flexible with the mileage early on -- a 14-mile second day might be a bit much. You can resupply food at Neels Gap. Weather should be great - be prepared for lows around freezing, but overall it should be very nice.

I usually leave camp with 1.5 - 2 liters of water, and plan to get more when I stop for lunch, or when I cross water during the day. For me it's just a lot easier than carrying all the water I want to drink.

The shelters all have bear cables, which you should use if staying near a shelter. I find that convenient because most of the shelters have water, a privy, and a table, and I can tent nearby. Otherwise the PCT method is pretty foolproof (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html#.VBTOgGRdW9w) if you can tie a clove hitch. I do find inexpensive para cord stretches too much with a full food bag and also digs into the tree branch, so I have some flat Spectra cord that works pretty well. But for this trip para should be fine. I find the key to a bear hang is the OP Sack from Aloksak, which is extremely odor resistant. The only time I have had a rodent in my food in recent years is when I couldn't fit all my food in the OP Sack.

By that time of year I like a hot breakfast - oatmeal with nuts and dried fruit, for instance, and hot coffee. It's chilly in the mornings. Lunch can be anything you can put in a flour tortilla, like tuna packets with cheese and mayo, or nutella and gorp, or PB&J. I also like a bag of jerky, a hunk of very sharp cheddar, and some crackers (the little single-serving tubes of Ritz are great and don't crush easily.) Dinner for us is a noodle dish with extras - a packet of chicken, or of real bacon, and some dried veggies. Try the Knorr Broccoli Alfredo Noodles with a bag of real crumbled bacon - oh my. We take lots of snacks, mostly bars but also gorp and salty stuff like pretzels or Combos. Don't forget chocolate! and a small box of red wine for the first night :)

Be totally flexible about daily mileage and your final end point. There are plenty of places to get off the trail in Georgia, so enjoy the hike and finish where you finish.

Happy trails!

foxiedoxie
09-14-2014, 08:55
all great suggestions....love some of the food ideas.....and the wine...giddy up!!!! we once hung a bag that flying squirrels got into and ate most of our nuts so good to hear about a bag suggestion. didn't realize it would be that cold that time of year...remember I'm from Florida...lol. so the sharp cheese will not spoil on the trip? thanks all to the suggestion....im sure as my departure nears I will have more questions.....so excited.

bigcranky
09-14-2014, 09:10
Yeah, flying squirrels can be a problem. Some folks like the Ursack or similar, which is made of bulletproof fabric that the critters can't chew through. I used one in Georgia many times just for the peace of mind.

Cheddar stays good for days on the trail, even in summer.

Yeah, it could be quite chilly, especially for folks from Florida. :)

illabelle
09-14-2014, 16:12
We did from Neels to Dicks Creek over Labor Day. It was hot and humid! I expect your trip will be much more pleasant.
Enjoy! :)

foxiedoxie
09-15-2014, 22:38
hey AO2134, where is preaching rock; is that woody gap area; I could not find it on the map or book that I have.
Thanks.

tazzerboy
09-15-2014, 23:58
I did Springer to Plumoarchard Gap this past summer.

I got a late start one day one and camped at long creek falls (5.2). Really nice spot with water falls. Gooch Mt. for the second night...ok shelter.

I camped at Cowrock Mt (36.7). Really nice view. Wolf Laurel (36.3) would have been another nice spot as well.

Low Gap Shelter, although I didn't stay there, is probably one of the better shelter areas regarding water supply and extra sites if the shelter is full.

Cheese Factory (56.6) is another really cool site. I didn't stay there, but if I had to do it again, I would have.

My last night at Plumorchard (74.1) was a little lonely because I had the whole shelter to myself. But it was a nice site nonetheless.

Considering I was parked at Dick's Creek and needed to get back home to FL I wasn't able to make it to the NC line. However, I'll be back up there in early October.
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

foxiedoxie
09-16-2014, 14:26
so how many days did it take you..

FatMan
09-16-2014, 18:06
hey AO2134, where is preaching rock; is that woody gap area; I could not find it on the map or book that I have.
Thanks.Preachers Rock is on top of Big Cedar Mtn which is the first climb after Woody Gap. The AT goes right over the granite bald and there are a couple of areas to pitch a tent nearby. But I would recommend going a few hundred yards further to a short blue blaze trail to the right. The blue blaze takes you to another rock outcropping and a great campsite. Views are exceptional. But all is dry so as A02134 says you have to water up at Woody Gap.

AO2134
09-16-2014, 18:26
Preachers Rock is on top of Big Cedar Mtn which is the first climb after Woody Gap. The AT goes right over the granite bald and there are a couple of areas to pitch a tent nearby. But I would recommend going a few hundred yards further to a short blue blaze trail to the right. The blue blaze takes you to another rock outcropping and a great campsite. Views are exceptional. But all is dry so as A02134 says you have to water up at Woody Gap.

I didn't camp where Fatman suggested, but I did go check it out. I would push a little more and pick this location. It would make for an amazing campsite.

foxiedoxie
10-07-2014, 11:02
ok...getting closer to my hike and I loaded up my pack last night. It weighed 30lbs without my 2L platypus reservoir. Which will add roughly 4lbs...I was hoping to get my pack to 25-30lb total. I have a light weight sleeping bag synthetic to 32 degrees, fleece liner. REI sleeping pad, and 65 Liter REI Crest Bag. I have taken a weeks worth of food, mostly ramon noodles and dried vegs and pepporoni in quart freezer bags to pour hot water into, instant oatmeal for mornings, pop tarts, and cliff bars along with GORP. Lunch corn tortilla's with peanut butter and nutella. I have a platypus gravity filter as well. My extra clothes are cold gear top and bottom for sleeping or unexpected cold weather, a long sleeve, 2 warm gear short sleeves, 3 pair of socks and panties, pair of shorts, extra sports bra. Batteries for my headlights and phone charger.
I think i can handle the 35lbs but was hoping to reduce. Any suggestion? My husband is taking the Big Agnes Cooper spur 2ul and the MSR stove. His is about 40lb without the water weight.

maptester
10-07-2014, 11:56
Your weight & equipment sound similar to mine--to reduce weight at this point I think you would have to change out some of your gear and that can be pricey. The only suggestion I can think of is to not carry a week's worth of food. Resupply at Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap. We might see each other on the trail--I'm planning on starting out Sat. 11th at Woody Gap heading north for about 7 days, and don't plan on speed hiking. :)

foxiedoxie
10-07-2014, 15:11
ok maptester.....maybe we will run into you....and you aren't kidding about pricey stuff...I didn't think my food weighed that much as it is so thin in the ziplocks but plan on weighing each item...the other item that may be extra weight that I forgot to mention was my first aid kit...a little bit of everything from blister management to bug spray......otherwise each night should get lighter as I eat some of my food....I may find myself stuffing my face to get rid of some of the food...lol....

FatMan
10-07-2014, 17:32
You can leave the bug spray at home. No bugs this time of year. If you should see a fat guy wearing an orange shirt and a dog with an orange vest and maybe a wife (never know if she comes along) say hi. It will be me. I am out on the trail somewhere between Woody Gap and Justus Creek most everyday. Sadly it used to be two dogs, but I had to put my beloved Cooper down last week.:(

Enjoy your hike.

foxiedoxie
10-07-2014, 20:10
so sorry to hear about cooper...been there and done that....so sad....
ok..no bug stuff and I have already removed some stuff that weighed about 2lbs...(letting my husband carry the pnut butter) and got rid of the nutella.
We will look for you. OK one last question...at neels gap do you need to make reservations for the hostel or is it first come first serve....is the hostel bedding or just tent set ups?
Thanks to all...getting excited....

daddytwosticks
10-08-2014, 07:17
You can leave the bug spray at home. No bugs this time of year. If you should see a fat guy wearing an orange shirt and a dog with an orange vest and maybe a wife (never know if she comes along) say hi. It will be me. I am out on the trail somewhere between Woody Gap and Justus Creek most everyday. Sadly it used to be two dogs, but I had to put my beloved Cooper down last week.:(

Enjoy your hike.

You are a lucky guy to be able to hop on the trail when you please WITH either a two legged or four legged (or both) companion! :)

maptester
10-08-2014, 11:39
foxiedoxie, here is the link to the Mountain Crossings website--to answer your questions, no reservations, "Rate Includes bunk, shower, and a towel. Bring your own bedding/sleeping bag." & "If no bunks are available, or if you have a pet, there is free camping available just off of our property. It's 200 yards behind the building on the AT, just beyond the "Raven Cliffs Wilderness" sign. You are welcome to get water from the tap under the bay window on the south side of the shop.
Camping anywhere on our property is not permitted. This includes behind the hostel and on the lookout." https://www.mountaincrossings.com/Articles.asp?ID=253#b

foxiedoxie
10-08-2014, 21:17
wow...thats looks like a cool place....thanks for the link. and all the info...see you soon.

rwd111
10-08-2014, 23:18
I'll be on the Neels Gap to Winding Stair section beginning Sunday. Until I read this thread, I had been thinking the trail would be relatively empty in comparison to the summer. I realizing now that there'll be shortage of hikers this time of year.. Good info on the water sources and camp sites too. You on the trail!

rwd111
10-08-2014, 23:19
Make that no shortage of hikers!

daddytwosticks
10-09-2014, 07:11
In my opinion, the North Ga section of the AT gets busy during leaf season. Certainly not like the spring, but traffic picks up significantly after September. :)

foxiedoxie
10-17-2014, 11:35
ok...I am out of the woods and wanted to update all of you on our trip. We started out as planned and got just short of woody gap on the 2nd day from Hawks Shelter. The weater was pretty nasty with rain everyday and or night. The visibility for views was zero except for the first day from Springer to Hawks. We hiked a good bit in the rain or mist or fog or whatever you want to call it. When we saw huge thunderstorms predicted for late Monday night (midnight) and 90% thunderstorms Tuesday we hiked to hogpen gap and got picked up to complete the trip another time. We did stay at neels gap hostel and we were the only ones so we had the place to our selves....we only had 5 minutes to spare before they closed as did not know the time they closed down. The philly Cheese sandwiches and cokes were to die for. We washed clothes and got a hot shower which was heaven...the only problem i really had was the blisters on the bottom of my metatarsal heads of the big toe...I used mole skin but each day they got worse so before I return I will have to research a bit on how to prevent. I did wear wright socks but that didn't help. The trip was great except for the rain, and no beautiful sites...couldn't see anything off blood mountain. Definately tested my physical, emotional, and mental states.....pretty streneous but nothing we couldn't handle...thanks for all the tips prior going....we will return at a later time to finish Georgia.

FatMan
10-17-2014, 20:24
You had some crappy weather for sure. You chose wisely to get off the trail. We had over 5" of rain Monday night through Tuesday here at Grassy Gap.

foxiedoxie
10-19-2014, 21:58
yea...now i've got to try to plan to go from hogpen to dicks...I've got the fever as it was an adventure that was pretty hard but I enjoyed the challenge.
Got to look at schedule and try to complete this section soon. Thanks again for all of the advice...my rookie self appreciated it all.

maptester
10-21-2014, 12:10
foxiedoxie, I bailed out too. Aside from some of the hardest rain/thunderstorm I have tried to sleep thru on Saturday night, I had some equipment issues that made continuing the hike difficult. I have come to see that being a successful hiker requires more skill (esp. in the fit of pack) than meets the eye. I will be back too, for a shorter hike soon. Good luck on finishing your section hike.

Bubbabuzz
01-23-2016, 17:12
Even though this post is fairly old, I truly appreciate the comments, as my buddy and I are looking at doing it the first week of July 2016. It will be my first "big" hike. Hope to see some of y'all on the trail!

Florida Mike
01-23-2016, 22:12
Same here, I plan to go around the 17th of April. thanks for the info on where to camp and get water. This will be my first trip as well.

flatgrounder
01-24-2016, 00:35
I really got a lot out of this post also. Was planning on Springer to NC but only have six days so just going to do what we can. Daughter is due with first baby on 17th. If all is well we will try to start a few days later. May see fellow floridian on trail.