PDA

View Full Version : A saxpick of Manwich anyone?!

Streamweaver
10-12-2005, 13:16
I was in a store called Ollies yesterday(they sell everything!!)Hunts has 6 single serving envelopes of manwich ,complete with the fully cooked ground beef and everything for about 7 bucks.Its not the cheapest food you could take backpacking but its ready to eat and the single serving pouches are good so none gets wasted.I myself could live on Manwich!!

Sly
10-12-2005, 13:28
Ummmm!

By the time you dry your own hamburg and add ingredients, the prepacked manwich may be cheaper. Certainly easier.

Big Dawg
10-12-2005, 13:45
Streamweaver, good idea!! No Ollies in my area, & their online site doesn't give me the option of buying anything,,, nor can I find it anywhere online. Give me some more detail! How do you heat up----just pour in a pot, heat & serve? How much does each packet weigh,, & how many sandwiches does each packet make? How does it taste---like original manwich? Thanks!!

Almost There
10-12-2005, 14:02
Super Target sells tubs of precooked Manwich, which I have had, and it works. You could buy that and put it in ziplock bags, boil water, heat and eat, or screw the heating, I've eaten cold before. Didn't even think about it but that's a great idea for food on the trail when it's cooler.

Lone Wolf
10-12-2005, 14:06
Spam makes single serving pouches too.

Uncle Silly
10-12-2005, 15:14
How do you heat up----just pour in a pot, heat & serve?
I just learned this trick from some heat-n-serve indian food packages. If it's a foil packet, just submerge the whole packet in boiling water (in your pot) for 2-3 minutes. Ta-da! Hot straight out of the packet.

Streamweaver
10-14-2005, 10:58
Streamweaver, good idea!! No Ollies in my area, & their online site doesn't give me the option of buying anything,,, nor can I find it anywhere online. Give me some more detail! How do you heat up----just pour in a pot, heat & serve? How much does each packet weigh,, & how many sandwiches does each packet make? How does it taste---like original manwich? Thanks!!

Ok,to heat up just rip open packet and dump in your pot,or use Scotsghost's idea(which is an excellent one!!) less muss and fuss that way! The pack comes with 6 pouches at 4ozs each ,complete with the sauce and ground beef.4ozs is about the size of one of those small burger patties from the grocery store,so one or two pouches per sandwich is about right,but thats the nice thing about individual servings ,use what you need only.I put some on corn tortillas and it was good! Yup its the original BBQ Manwich.

Lone Wolf: Its funny you mention Spam,My very first trip on the AT was in the white Mountains ,when I was 9 yrs old .It rained from the moment we stepped foot into the woods until the moment we got home!! All we ate were cold spam sandwiches on wet bread!!LOL I havnt touched Spam since!! Its prolly good too,but... :D :D :D

Streamweaver
10-14-2005, 11:01
Oh Yeah,Im not sure where else you can find this stuff (prolly giant or some other supermarket,but if I find another place or one on line Ill let you know.I tried to look it up online to post info and couldnt find it either.

Big Dawg
10-14-2005, 12:11
Streamweaver,,, if I can't find any soon (web or store), would you consider picking up some & sending it to me in the mail,,, I'd send ya the $$ for the pouches, postage, & little $$ for your pocket. I love manwiches,, & am getting all hot & bothered (haha) about having me some manwiches on the trail. :banana I've got a trip coming up soon!!

Footslogger
10-14-2005, 12:13
I kinda like that manwich stuff but with the fat content I would imagine that it would go rancid rather quickly unless kept cold once it's removed from its container.

'Slogger

Nightwalker
10-16-2005, 11:06
Ummmm!

By the time you dry your own hamburg and add ingredients, the prepacked manwich may be cheaper. Certainly easier.
But certainly not lighter! I dehydrate and mix together ground beef and breakfast sausage. I dehydrate them in a warm oven on a bath towel. All or almost all of the saturated fat comes out--you can add olive oil to what you're cooking if you wish. I mix the sausage and GB half-and-half, add some ramen beef seasoning to make up for the taste that is lost when you dry cooked ground beef, and use it in place of any other meat in my recipes on the trail. It dehydrates down to about 20% of its original uncooked weight, and tastes SUPER!

If you only dehydrate one thing, dehydrate your meat...

:D

Valmet
10-17-2005, 15:11
Ever try Stagg chili? Comes in a box, single serving. If you are only going out for a couple of nights this is a really good first meal. Open it up, put it in a sealable boil bag heat in water or just pour in your pot and eat with crackers. Here is their web site.

http://www.hormel.com/brands/brandview3.asp?id=8&catitemid=3

Big Dawg
10-17-2005, 16:26
Ever try Stagg chili?
Awesome stuff,,, but definately heavy at 15oz/box,,, definately a 1st meal out, but what a treat in the woods!!! :banana

The Old Fhart
10-17-2005, 16:42
Here is what I had posted on WB on 1-22-05.
"A few posters have asked where they can get the Hunt's Manwich sloppy joe in the 4oz. soft pouch. I've bought a box of 6 packages for $6 at BJ's wholesale club and my local Big Lots had individual 4oz packages for $0.79 each. Just to be clear this is a ready to heat and eat food product, not freeze dried. At home you open the top of the package and pop into the microwave for 45-60 seconds. On the trail you can just heat it in the water you are boiling for your meal. You can even eat it as a cold sandwich if you're desperate. The taste is quite good, unlike the ground beef in the soft pouch you can buy at Walmart that tastes kinda strange."

chicagorunner
10-17-2005, 21:01
Sounds delicious!

One Leg
10-17-2005, 21:24
I ate the heck out of the precooked manwich last year, and it was great. Mix in some crumbled cheese crackers, and you've got a tasty meal. Leisa bought a few cases of the stuff at a discount grocery outlet that she frequents. I think she ended up paying something like $.79 per package since she bought so much. (You can save a ton shopping at discount grocery places.)

Big Dawg
10-18-2005, 07:25
Thanks, Old Fhart! There I go again, not searching WB, lesson learned,,,,,, again.

The Old Fhart
10-18-2005, 08:03
Hey Big Dawg, If I hadn't posted it, I never would have found it myself. :o It was posted under pasta or some non-related thread. I also like cake frosting out of the plastic tub for a sugar high, but that's another story!

Lanthar Mandragoran
10-18-2005, 19:21
sweet... I gotta look for those...

Big Dawg
10-19-2005, 09:28
Daggone,, I hate when there's a product out there that I want, but can't get my hands on. No manwich pouches @ my local Big Lots, nor at BJ's wholesale-(which is 2 hours away). Neither place can tell if/when they will ever get any in. It seems w/ the WWW, that i would be able to find it & order it online,,,, no luck w/ that route either. Sheeeeesh,, what does a guy have to do to get a lil sloppy joe in a pouch. hahahaha,, just ranting,, sorry. I'm done now. :(

One Leg
10-19-2005, 11:18
Daggone,, I hate when there's a product out there that I want, but can't get my hands on. No manwich pouches @ my local Big Lots, nor at BJ's wholesale-(which is 2 hours away). Neither place can tell if/when they will ever get any in. It seems w/ the WWW, that i would be able to find it & order it online,,,, no luck w/ that route either. Sheeeeesh,, what does a guy have to do to get a lil sloppy joe in a pouch. hahahaha,, just ranting,, sorry. I'm done now. :(

I'll have Leisa look the next time she's at United Grocery Outlet.... They normally have it in stock........

BTW: Where is Jamestown??

Smile
10-19-2005, 13:26
Kinda off topic - but the Ingles in Hiawasee had an IMPRESSIVE array of dried/hiker package friendy products, wow!

Big Dawg
10-19-2005, 23:05
I'll have Leisa look the next time she's at United Grocery Outlet.... They normally have it in stock........

BTW: Where is Jamestown??
Thanks for having Leisa check, One Leg!

Jamestown, NC is 2 1/2 hours east of Asheville, NC on I-40,,, in the Piedmont Triad (Greensboro, Winston Salem, High Point). Jamestown is inbetween Greensboro & High Point.