PDA

View Full Version : Excess alchol

DirtyFeet
09-13-2014, 19:27
I usually fill up my alcohol bottle before my trips, or bring a canister that weighs out to more than my calculated need for my trips. But I haven't ever had to refill while "away", such on a thru hike.

I know you can buy denatured alcohol at hardware stores, but it usually comes in 32oz cans. Heet comes in 12oz bottles. And 91% isopropyl alcohol comes in 16oz bottles at the pharmacy. I only have a 250ml fuel bottle, which is about 8.5oz. Assuming you have a 12 or even 16oz bottle for fuel, say you roll into a town with a few ounces left in your gear (12oz would last me about 6 days and I am calculating resupplying every 3-5 days). Seems like whatever you buy, you have extra fuel. So you'd likely just, what?... pour the extra down a toilet?

Preemptive second question:
Why don't people just carry their alcohol in the bottle it comes in (like the HEET bottle?)

tiptoe
09-13-2014, 19:42
Many outfitters and hostels sell denatured alcohol by the ounce, so you can just buy what you need.

At the end of my section hikes, if I have any alcohol left, I usually offer it to other hikers so I don't have to travel with it.

People don't carry the HEET bottle because most people don't carry 12 oz. of fuel. A smaller bottle takes less space. Also, many bottles that people use either are clear enough to see through or have ounce calibrations (or both), allowing you to gauge the amount of fuel remaining.

swisscross
09-13-2014, 19:46
I usually drink my alcholol.

bangorme
09-13-2014, 19:53
That'll make ya blind you know... the alcohol I mean.

MuddyWaters
09-13-2014, 21:30
That'll make ya blind you know... the alcohol I mean.

I think he means he uses Ethanol, i.e. Everclear.

Preemptive second question:
Why don't people just carry their alcohol in the bottle it comes in (like the HEET bottle?)

Plenty of people carry HEET bottles. There are flip-tops sold to fit them too.

But denatured alcohol comes in quart cans usually, and Everclear comes in 750 ml glass bottles. Neither is practicle to carry on the trail.

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2014, 21:32
May your trail be all down hill.

Sarcasm the elf
09-13-2014, 23:16
May your trail be all down hill.

Depending on the condition of your knees, those words could be either a blessing or a curse... :cool:

Slo-go'en
09-13-2014, 23:34
I carry my HEET in a 16.9 oz bottled water bottle. These are light and nearly indestructible. I can time refills close enough that I rarely have any left over, but it is easy to give away if there is any left. I probably don't have to leave town with up to 16 oz of fuel, but I'd rather have too much then too little.

BTW, you can always find yellow HEET at NAPA auto parts stores and nearly every town has one close by.

Wil
09-14-2014, 05:44
I usually drink my alcholol.I really don't like poisonous methanol for fuel and it seems to be creeping up in volume in many of the mixed ethanol/methanol sources at hardware stores, etc. At one point I found a real bargain on line for Everclear and bought a huge stash that I've been using for shorter trips. But that outlet nearly doubled their price and it's now just too expensive everywhere. Lab ethanol has also gone up in price and many suppliers are asking for professional credentials to buy it.

waasj
09-14-2014, 09:33
Seems like carrying a little extra (and having a light weight cushion in case you get stuck for an extra night between resupplies)is a better plan than carrying just enough.

shakey_snake
09-14-2014, 09:50
Check hiker boxes before you purchase.

If you purchase, deposit any extra in hiker boxes

Another Kevin
09-14-2014, 11:00
I really don't like poisonous methanol for fuel and it seems to be creeping up in volume in many of the mixed ethanol/methanol sources at hardware stores, etc. At one point I found a real bargain on line for Everclear and bought a huge stash that I've been using for shorter trips. But that outlet nearly doubled their price and it's now just too expensive everywhere. Lab ethanol has also gone up in price and many suppliers are asking for professional credentials to buy it.

The dose makes the poison. I actually prefer the methanol, or the methanol/ethanol mixes, for the lower flash point, since I hike a lot in "shoulder season". Spilt ethanol will ruin gear just as fast as spilt methanol, so don't do that. Burnt in a stove, they're about equally clean - and the CO rather than unburnt MeOH is the big hazard in the fumes.

rocketsocks
09-14-2014, 11:05
an empty Heet bottle weighs about nothin'...hang on to it till ya come to a trash can...no biggie.

Leanthree
09-15-2014, 00:56
Share with friends, Carry Extra, Use some to make Hard Boiled Eggs in the grocery store parking lot, leave in a hiker box.

If you ever absolutely can't stand to ever carry the extra few oz then use it as a firestarter and have yourself a nice campfire.

Theosus
09-15-2014, 07:45
I think he means he uses Ethanol, i.e. Everclear.

Plenty of people carry HEET bottles. There are flip-tops sold to fit them too.

But denatured alcohol comes in quart cans usually, and Everclear comes in 750 ml glass bottles. Neither is practicle to carry on the trail.

Couldn't you just empty the ever clear into a plastic bottle? Of course, that's an expensive way to cook... I think I'd rather just buy the little bottle of HEET. Maybe someone could find you some untaxed spirits along the way? Hahaha. Much cheaper to cook with, albeit more dangerous to acquire fuel.

rocketsocks
09-15-2014, 07:53
Couldn't you just empty the ever clear into a plastic bottle? Of course, that's an expensive way to cook... I think I'd rather just buy the little bottle of HEET. Maybe someone could find you some untaxed spirits along the way? Hahaha. Much cheaper to cook with, albeit more dangerous to acquire fuel.I think I'd rather pay a tax than buy some strangers bath tub gin.

TrilliumTrekker
09-15-2014, 16:57
SLX and Kleen Strip both make "green" denatured alcohol that is 85-90% ethanol. Lowes carries it. One quart cans. Decant to smaller bottles from your at home stash for short trips. Ethanol has more BTUs than methanol, but has a higher flash point making it somewhat harder to light in cold weather.

When resupplying on a long section, look for a denatured brand that says "suitable for marine stoves".

rocketsocks
09-15-2014, 17:22
SLX and Kleen Strip both make "green" denatured alcohol that is 85-90% ethanol. Lowes carries it. One quart cans. Decant to smaller bottles from your at home stash for short trips. Ethanol has more BTUs than methanol, but has a higher flash point making it somewhat harder to light in cold weather.

When resupplying on a long section, look for a denatured brand that says "suitable for marine stoves".This is what I use as well.