PDA

View Full Version : Erwin, TN to Damascus

Jagger
09-14-2014, 09:28
I am trying to schedule a hike from Erwin, TN to Damascus next spring/early summer ( April/May/June ) and would like to time it when the thru hikers are not hiking this same section. Either before or after thru hike push is ok but would prefer to hike when it's warmer than cold. Can anyone recommend the "best" time to accomplish this.

Lone Wolf
09-14-2014, 09:33
middle of june

Tennessee Viking
09-15-2014, 08:26
Any where from Jan to mid-March, or about two weeks after Trail Days to be safe. SOBOs season is not all that bad in TN. Late Spring/Summer in Tennessee is not fun. The ridgelines dry up, humidity rolls in, and the weeds start growing.

Cookerhiker
09-15-2014, 08:42
middle of june

The nice thing about this timeframe is you'll hike through the peak of the rhododendron blooming in the Roan Highlands

Gambit McCrae
09-15-2014, 09:06
The nice thing about this timeframe is you'll hike through the peak of the rhododendron blooming in the Roan Highlands

Best thing TN has to offer, Jack Daniels and The Roadies in Bloom, along with the most amazing views in in this section of Road. (Although we do share it with NC :) )

dbright
09-15-2014, 13:21
Jagger I sent you a private e-mail. I am looking to do a practice trip in the spring. I thru in 2016 and need the practice.

Possum Bill
09-16-2014, 09:14
I agree... early to mid-June. Rhodies will be blooming and most of the thru-hikers will be north of you by that point.