PDA

View Full Version : May flip flop

squeezebox
09-14-2014, 12:34
Thinking about the idea of starting at Harper's Ferry the 1st half of May to Katadin, then flop to either Harper's Ferry or Springer for the other 1/2 of the trail.
Why??
I think the extent of my fear of hypothermia is beyond rational. So I recognize this phobia, and I need to address it. So I'm heading towards just giving in to it at first. Changing equipment and behavior as I learn more and get more comfortable.
Kinda like embrace the fear and then as soon as possible smother the S.O.B.
Back to the main issue. Harper's Ferry has train service a big + getting in . Gets me to Katadin before Aug (what about bugs ? ) or other issues
Then back to Harper's Ferry -- Aug, Sept, Oct to Atlanta
Another issue I'm hoping this would relieve me of carrying so much winter gear. My guess is about 5 lbs of stuff between winter and summer.
The big question is what cold weather stuff do I need if I start at Harper's Ferry north the first half of May.
And what cold weather stuff in the Smokies etc at Sept. & early Oct..
Thanks!!!

Coffee
09-14-2014, 12:41
I was on the trail between Harpers Ferry and southern Pennsylvania during the last week of April. The weather was pleasant overall but there were a couple of rain events that got a bit chilly. I had my down parka for camp but I do not recall using it very much north of Harpers Ferry. I was normally OK in my rain shell for warmth in the mornings and evenings. I had my 15 degree Marmot Helium and was fine in it, and probably a less warm bag would be OK.

The main hypothermia risk is probably the risk of getting wet and not being able to warm up after you stop, like if all your down layers got wet. Maybe one thing to ease your mind with respect to hypothermia would be to pack some fleece layers or maybe water resistant down. While actually hiking, I find it difficult to believe that hypothermia is going to be a real risk in May, assuming you are moving at a good pace keeping the body warm.

squeezebox
09-14-2014, 13:21
Thanks coffee! I completely agree with you. but fears are irrational. Other people will be around and I'll be okay