PDA

View Full Version : Best Day Hikes in Northern VA

HikerHarris
09-14-2014, 14:13
Can anyone here recommend good day hikes in Northern VA? We're staying near Linden, VA. Looking for a couple of good day hikes (10 miles or so) that don't have a ton of inclines/downhill and are scenic.

Thanks very much.

Mobius
09-14-2014, 15:36
HikingUpward.com has a nice set of day hikes in that area. You can use their nifty filter tool to limit the search to an area and distances (and some other stuff)

Studlintsean
09-14-2014, 20:29
I'm in the area and will list a few: SNP (Mary's rock, white oak Canyon, Lewis Falls, old rag, etc), Sky Meadows State Park is a few exits east, Head to Blue Mountain Road and hike from Bears Den, Great Falls (an hour east).

Studlintsean
09-14-2014, 20:31
Also take the short hike from Linden Va (55) into Jimmy and Molly Denton. It's only about 3.5 miles each way but it's a nice shelter and you could hike in and grill in the picnic area.

Coffee
09-14-2014, 20:31
Jeremy's Run in SNP has a fairly moderate elevation change and is a nice hike, if you are OK with getting wet on the many stream crossings.

johnnybgood
09-14-2014, 21:46
If you're not dead set on one continuous hike I might suggest a series of short out-n-backs, all in Shenandoah Nat'l Park, with terrific views.
Starting from south to north ; none are greater than 3 miles roundtrip. All are relatively easy.

Hawksbill Summit> Stony Man (upper cliffs) > Mary's Rock >Overall Run Trail, (a hike to the largest falls in the park).

DCHiker
09-14-2014, 23:03
Get up early and do Old Rag. If you sleep in, there are plenty of nice day hikes in the Shenandoah's. White Oak Canyon, Beecher Ridge and little Devil Stairs are always fun hikes. Hit a winery or two afterwards. A lot of good wineries around there too.

bigcranky
09-15-2014, 06:58
Old Rag is a great hike, but as DCHiker says, get there early. Real early.

Coffee
09-15-2014, 07:12
Can anyone here recommend good day hikes in Northern VA? We're staying near Linden, VA. Looking for a couple of good day hikes (10 miles or so) that don't have a ton of inclines/downhill and are scenic.

I really like Old Rag which has been suggested but the OP asked for what sounds like an easier hike... Old Rag is definitely not an easy hike for most people, although the difficult part, the rock scramble, can be eliminated by using the Saddle Trail rather than the Ridge trail. However, in my opinion, the Ridge trail is what makes the hike unique.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/old_rag_area.pdf

Donde
09-15-2014, 13:26
I agree that Old Rag is a tough one, but well worth it. I am with DCHiker on this one you do Old Rag and then you hit Gadino, Rappahanok Cellers, and Chester Gap Winery, on the trip back up 522. For easier terrain, with a nice pay-off hike Kennedy Peak from VA675 in Luray. There are some other little ones in the GWNF too.

Coffee
09-15-2014, 13:46
I've seen people literally crying on the rock scramble as they try to go back down after giving up. It is one of my favorite hikes especially in the fall but it just seems different than what the OP wanted, but who knows, it may be the right choice.

joshuasdad
09-15-2014, 13:59
Old Rag is my favorite, but Harper's Ferry area (pretty close to Linden) is also nice, especially the hike to Maryland Heights. http://www.hikingupward.com/omh/marylandheights/

johnnybgood
09-15-2014, 16:01
I too am under the impression the OP want's something less strenuous than Old Rag but the effort is truly rewarding.
Getting there early, especially on weekends during crisp, clear days is strongly suggested. http://www.hikingupward.com will get you to the trailhead.

HikerHarris
09-15-2014, 19:43
Hi All: Many, many thanks for the replies and help. This is very helpful.

Couple of questions------

- Why do you all say to get to Old Rag early?

- The one hike that I am looking at is U.S. 50 (Ashby Gap) to VA 55. According to what I find, it's 12 miles and seems not too difficult. We can handle difficult but both have knee issues so trying to avoid to much stress on the knees from inclines/downhill, though we're use to the rocks here in PA so maybe this is not as much of an issue without them????

Leaving soon for the trip so really appreciate your help.

Coffee
09-15-2014, 19:59
Old Rag is a very popular hike especially on fall weekends. The small parking lot next to the trailhead fills very early and the large lot about a mile from the trailhead can get busy. But more than that, the rock scramble can get congested with people moving slowly and it is hard or impossible to pass in places. So by starting early you can avoid parking hassles and crowds on the trail.

US 50 to VA 55 is pretty easy hiking overall and there are some nice views around Sky Meadows.