PDA

View Full Version : October Hike from Springer Mnt to Dicks Creek Georgia/clothing

foxiedoxie
09-14-2014, 21:19
my husband and I will be hiking from Oct 10th for 6 to 7 days. someone said be prepared for freezing so I am trying to see what type of clothing I should pack. I have pants that zip off below knee, a lot of coolmax type tops short and long sleeve. Planning on taking a fleece liner but now thinking of the taking the sleeping bag too.
Any suggestions on what I should take and estimate temperature during this time in Georgia? Should I layer; should i take a light jacket?

swisscross
09-15-2014, 07:54
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/30512?climoMonth=10

illabelle
09-15-2014, 08:58
my husband and I will be hiking from Oct 10th for 6 to 7 days. someone said be prepared for freezing so I am trying to see what type of clothing I should pack. I have pants that zip off below knee, a lot of coolmax type tops short and long sleeve. Planning on taking a fleece liner but now thinking of the taking the sleeping bag too.
Any suggestions on what I should take and estimate temperature during this time in Georgia? Should I layer; should i take a light jacket?

"Thinking" of taking a sleeping bag? Foxie, you NEED a sleeping bag.
Should you take a "light jacket"? Yes, ma'am. Layering is an important part of temperature regulation.
Apologies if I'm wrong, but my impression is that this may be your first trip to the AT. If you're driving up, bring a variety of clothing items and make final selections after you arrive, leaving the rest in the car.
Every person is different of course, but if I were planning for that section in mid-October, the following would be typical for me:
shorts - 1 pair
short-sleeved shirts - 1 (cold weather) or 2 (mild weather)
long-sleeved shirt - 1 (sleepwear only) or 2 (cold weather)
long johns - 1 (sleepwear)
liner socks - 2 pair
wool socks - 3 pair (one of them is sleepwear)
rain pants (double as wind pants over long johns or shorts)
rain jacket
down jacket
fleece vest
undergarments

Toga
09-15-2014, 12:01
When analyzing weather forecasts and historical temperatures, be mindful of where the report is intended. Most data is generated for low lying, populated areas protected by the mountains were hiking. I few things to keep in mind. The standard lapse rate for temperature is 3.5 degrees for every thousand feet of elevation gain. Most days are not "standard," and temperatures can easily fall 15-20 degrees with a few thousand feet in elevation gain. Be conservative and plan for the worse.

The list illabelle suggested is spot on :)

I am planning an early Oct hike in the same area and my 20 degree gear will be coming with me. Enjoy your hike! It's a beautiful section.

Seatbelt
09-15-2014, 12:15
I did this same hike in Oct 2010 and it was 75-90 degrees every day, 60-70 at night. You just never know what it will do. It can change quickly too so I agree with the other posters, don't leave cold weather gear at home.

foxiedoxie
09-15-2014, 18:40
Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate them all...I have hiked the AT but never a multiple day hike...just a hike in and stay at a shelter and hike out....I will try to take a good variety but at same time keep my pack lite....
we will be leaving around the 10th of October. Maybe I will see you Toga

FatMan
09-15-2014, 19:56
For first half of October think in terms of 40s at night and 60s during the day. Send me a PM a few days before you leave and I can let you know if any extremes are expected one way or the other.

We have a weatherunderground weather station located a couple hundred yards from the trail at Grassy Gap. Elevation is near 3000 feet, Use it for current temps and temp history. The Forecast is always 5 degrees too high.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=30572&sp=KGASUCHE4