PDA

View Full Version : Fall Color Map

Just Bill
09-15-2014, 08:43
Not a great article, but the map at the beginning might be handy...
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/the-best-places-for-fall-leaf-peeping-in-the-u-s-97097716647.html

Slo-go'en
09-15-2014, 10:44
We had a frost here last night, so the colors should really start showing up now. Some trees are already in full bloom but most are still thinking about it. It's been real chilly around here the last few days. I think summer is finally over.

jred321
09-15-2014, 12:03
I'd guess in general in the Northeast the leaves will be changing earlier than usual. August was pretty cold and we're below normal temps now. I even saw some leaves changing colors in August in mid-CT. A great reference map, but if you're looking for leaves this year probably head out earlier than the map says

Odd Man Out
09-15-2014, 12:22
You never can tell. Some years the colors are great and some years not so much. I don't think anyone has figured out for sure how to predict. It's my favorite time of year. Here's a shot right from campus where I work.

Another Kevin
09-15-2014, 13:25
I'm going to be heading out well past the peak, but maybe there will be something left. (Can't be helped; I have to work my hike in around the rest of my life.)

Odd Man Out
09-15-2014, 14:33
One thing that doesn't show up on that map is the lake effect. In MI, the colors near Lake Michigan are delayed by a few weeks from those inland. So when we go on color tours, the leaves may be all gone at higher elevations inland, but just 30 miles away, right on the lake shore, the trees may be completely green. Somewhere in between will have peak color.

rocketsocks
09-15-2014, 17:08
One thing that doesn't show up on that map is the lake effect. In MI, the colors near Lake Michigan are delayed by a few weeks from those inland. So when we go on color tours, the leaves may be all gone at higher elevations inland, but just 30 miles away, right on the lake shore, the trees may be completely green. Somewhere in between will have peak color.
huh, never knew this.

rocketsocks
09-15-2014, 17:10
I'm going to be heading out well past the peak, but maybe there will be something left. (Can't be helped; I have to work my hike in around the rest of my life.)
Hues for Views! whata ya gonna do. ;)

Del Q
09-15-2014, 20:18
Drove from Philly to Ohio and back this weekend for a wedding, some changing colors, earlier than last year.

Must be global cooling

kidchill
09-15-2014, 21:21
Yah, I always take 2 wks off in Oct, but unfortunately this year, it's the last 2 weeks. I'm probly gonna miss peak colors, but at least I have the 2 weeks off. It's been a mild summer, but we did have some rain, and now all of sudden the temp is dropping. So, who knows what's gonna happen. I think the 2 greatest predictors are rainfall and temperature. Temperature probably being the most decisive...

mattjv89
09-15-2014, 21:53
Well if that map turns out anywhere near accurate I'll see some good colors, heading out for the southernmost 85 miles of the Long Trail first week of October. The first touches of color are coming in now and things seem primed to change in a big way, supposed to be 33 overnight later this week.

putts
09-15-2014, 22:12
http://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projects/fall_foliage/index.shtml

Another good site.

TurboPants
09-16-2014, 10:54
Maybe it's my imagination but it seems like the dryer the weather the more brown the leaves. Last fall here in Ohio we had 2 rounds. I was very dry the last half of summer and early fall so most all big trees just turned brown and dropped them in late August. But medium and small trees held on longer and turned colors in October. It was weird, half the trees were bare and half were full.

I can attest to what Odd man out said. I go to Warren Dunes state park the last week of October to camp and the trees by the shore and in the park are just turning colors, but from the top of the dunes (~200 ft above sea level) you can look out and see all the colors on the trees inland. Must be the water is warmer than the air so it give slightly warmer temps until the water is frigid.

Snowleopard
09-16-2014, 11:51
http://www.foliage-vermont.com/ has an interactive map showing the expected state of foliage on different dates.
http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peak-foliage-forecast-map/ for all of New England.

There's a lot of variation year to year and place to place. In Worcester, MA, Green Hill park has a lot of oak trees that keep their leaves till late November some years; not as spectacular as lots of maples, but still sort of nice for your November foliage fix.

88BlueGT
09-16-2014, 11:59
This is pretty cool. I was up in High Peak State Park (NY) last year during the 2nd week of October. Everything was supposed to be full color but nope; green still. Only down in the vallys were the trees turned.