PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian Loop

Nick Wilson
09-15-2014, 08:57
I'm thinking of doing the Standing Indian Loop in Georgia either this weekend or next. Has anyone out there done it?

saltysack
09-15-2014, 09:10
It's NC.... Great hike lots of info do searcg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Rx
09-15-2014, 09:45
Great hike can easily be done in 2-3 days. As Salty says there is lots of info about it out there just do an internet search. Lots of water sources also. Have a great hike.

saltysack
09-15-2014, 10:28
My cousin is doing his first hike there in two weeks w his dog... Easy 22-24 mile loop...done it several times...pm if need any info

bigcranky
09-15-2014, 12:44
Makes a great 2-night loop. Good views if the weather cooperates, or so I understand -- been there twice and both Standing Indian and Albert Mountain were socked in both times :( Easy parking at trailhead in front of campground. Good food in Franklin afterward.

daddytwosticks
09-15-2014, 17:27
Great hike. Did it about three times in the last several years. Safe parking at the Standing Indian Campground information kiosk. Easy two day hike with a stop around the Carter Gap Shelter area. Nice places to tent there if you are not into shelter stays. :)

ATL Backpacker
09-15-2014, 21:34
I hiked it counter-clockwise on the suggestion of others. starting from the SI campground, took the Kimsey Creek Trail, then left/north (even though you're actually walking south) on the AT back to the campground. 1 really good campsite on top of SI but unless you're there early there's a good chance it will be occupied already. Popular loop. Some other sites up top but water is 1/4 mile (?) away. It was crowded when I got up there so continued (2 miles?) on to Beech Gap which was a good site I thought. 2nd night at Long Branch shelter. A few tent sites there if you don't want to sleep in the shelter.

We had a little trouble finding Kimsey Creek trailhead...may have to ask around once you arrive at the campground.

blue indian
09-15-2014, 22:47
Finding the kimsey creek trailhead is kind of tricky. I came down kimsey creek on my last day and I remember having to bushwack to a parking lot I saw through the trees because the trail got weird at the end. Its almost like it just kind of ended. But this is an awesome hike.

cutter
09-15-2014, 23:24
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=539275

saltysack
09-16-2014, 06:45
Finding the kimsey creek trailhead is kind of tricky. I came down kimsey creek on my last day and I remember having to bushwack to a parking lot I saw through the trees because the trail got weird at the end. Its almost like it just kind of ended. But this is an awesome hike.

Thought I was the only one!! I've done this loop several times and get screwed up every time going clockwise...sobo AT

daddytwosticks
09-16-2014, 07:07
The last time I hiked it, the trail was marked a little better. Ya'll are right, though...difficult trail to figure out especially as it goes around the SI campground and when it first pops out onto the FS road going towards Deep Gap. :)

Old Hiker
09-16-2014, 08:21
Can't remember exactly when (several years ago) or which trailhead (sorry - Kimsey?), but one of the trucks parked at the trailhead overnight had bear prints on the side windows when we were dumped out. Our Scouts were impressed ! This was the trailhead with the garbage cans.

If I remember correctly, Kimsey Creek was VERY refreshing in July ! The boys really enjoyed it at the end of a 50 mile section hike, ending at SI Campground.

A couple of times the rocks on the loop were slick with rain, so we had to take it low and slow, but other times we kinda bounded down the trail in the good weather.

Nooga
09-16-2014, 09:10
This is a great loop trail. If the campground is open, you can also get a shower.

TNhiker
09-16-2014, 15:40
i also am planning on doing this loop within the next month or so.....

and surely i will have some questions about it...

such as----does one need to use a bear canister in this area? i seemingly remember something about using canisters in portions of GA but forget the exact area..

also----looking at the National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map----it doesnt show show kimsey creek trail hitting the AT directly but through some forest roads...

does this seem correct along with is the way pretty easy to follow?

thanks...

saltysack
09-16-2014, 15:43
It's in NC....no bear can..goin sobo on AT u hit deep gap look to ur right aprox 75 yards seem blue blazed Kimsey creek trail to si campground

TNhiker
09-16-2014, 15:49
ok.....

i'll probably be going up kimsey creek trail------guessing its still pretty obvious?

saltysack
09-16-2014, 16:00
Y...can't miss it . You'll go left at trash cans at deep gap..AT..cool tent camp spot at top of si mountain

Derek Cummings
12-03-2014, 14:18
I am planning hiking this trial soon, and was wanting a detailed map of the loop. What trails do I follow? Where do I make the loop? I know I start from the campground counter or clockwise. However, I do not know how to make the loop. Is there a map of this trail, or something that has the signs marked so I will know where to go.

I appreciate any advice and information.

Derek

saltysack
12-03-2014, 17:38
I am planning hiking this trial soon, and was wanting a detailed map of the loop. What trails do I follow? Where do I make the loop? I know I start from the campground counter or clockwise. However, I do not know how to make the loop. Is there a map of this trail, or something that has the signs marked so I will know where to go.

I appreciate any advice and information.

Derek

Look at previous posts or Google it...lots of info out there...

TNhiker
12-04-2014, 22:35
There's trails illustrated map --forget the number as I'm at a hockey game and not at home---that will show the loop....

it's easy though--park at the backpacker kiosk--go down the trail cross the campground road and trail is right after bridge....follow this shortly and it will go up on a hill and over to Kimsey creek.

then just follow trail up with blazes and eventually one road and go to left and look in woods for trail that will keep going up to deep gap..

pick the at up here by going left...

then em follow at over to standing Indian where there's a nice campsite on way up along with some choice ones on top of the mountain...

you see the obvious campsite up top in the clearing but there are a few places further in the trees....and a nice rock overlook...

water is down on the at down a blue blaze trail...

Then next day you can keep going on the at or just go down to campground with the other blue blazed trail (lower ridge I think)...

that trail is a little harder follow but it's blazed and not too bad--just keep eyes open..

that trail is dry til the end so water up on the mountain...

and just follow trail into campground and back to kiosk..

have fun...

daddytwosticks
12-05-2014, 08:14
When people mention the SI "Loop", I believe they are talking about the Kimsey Creek Trail, AT, and Long Branch Trail (or reverse). This gives you about 22-24 miles and makes for a nice two or relaxed 3 day hike right back to the starting point: the Standing Indian Campground information kiosk and parking area. :)

saltysack
12-05-2014, 09:52
When people mention the SI "Loop", I believe they are talking about the Kimsey Creek Trail, AT, and Long Branch Trail (or reverse). This gives you about 22-24 miles and makes for a nice two or relaxed 3 day hike right back to the starting point: the Standing Indian Campground information kiosk and parking area. :)

Yep....that simple

TNhiker
12-05-2014, 10:52
Yeah...

i gave directions for a simple one nighter in that area....

blue indian
12-05-2014, 15:22
I would take kimsey creek as a way back to the camp ground mainly because its a wet trail and with it being cold I wouldnt want to start the weekend off with wet shoes.

Ive been wanting to hike this loop again. Hopefully within the next week or so. Does anyone have a trail update for the loop? Snow on the ground? What kind of temps did you experience at night?

TNhiker
12-05-2014, 16:12
i think it would be too warm right now for snow down there, but not sure.....

when i did the loop about a month ago---kimsey creek was easily rock hoppable and had no problems with wet boots........

dmax
12-05-2014, 16:19
I like starting at the kiosk and going up long branch trail to glassmine gap. Then south on the AT to SI. Then we take the lower ridge trail back down.

daddytwosticks
12-05-2014, 17:26
I would take kimsey creek as a way back to the camp ground mainly because its a wet trail and with it being cold I wouldnt want to start the weekend off with wet shoes.

Ive been wanting to hike this loop again. Hopefully within the next week or so. Does anyone have a trail update for the loop? Snow on the ground? What kind of temps did you experience at night?

Agree 100%. Kimsey is a beautiful hike, especially in summer, but VERY wet on the lower part. :)

bigcranky
12-06-2014, 00:15
I like starting at the kiosk and going up long branch trail to glassmine gap. Then south on the AT to SI. Then we take the lower ridge trail back down.

I like the clockwise route, too, but the one time we took the Lower Ridge Trail it hadn't been maintained in, oh, maybe forever. Tough trail made worse by the downpour of Biblical proportions. I do like the Kimsey Creek trail especially in the spring.