PDA

View Full Version : Advice for quilt/ bag 8 year old...fall-winter

saltysack
09-15-2014, 12:52
My 8 year old son loved his first hike a few months back...I'm hoping to get him back out some oct-dec southern AT..I'll use my marmot helium 15 deg bag but need to get him a good bag...should I get an adult size so will last or kids....any input as needs to be warm enough for winter..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flemdawg1
09-15-2014, 12:54
TNF Tigger

saltysack
09-15-2014, 14:13
TNF Tigger

Thx...looks life 2 on eBay now

HooKooDooKu
09-15-2014, 14:46
The North Face Tigger (http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/tigger.html) is great... if you can find it.
It's specifications are pretty good: 20º and 2lbs (http://www.rei.com/item/746481/the-north-face-tigger-20-sleeping-bag-kids#specsTab) at < $100.
By comparison, it seems typical 'kids' bags today are 2.5lbs to 3lbs for a 25º or 30º bag for ~ or > $100.

Of course one thing to consider is that the bag will only be usable for about 3 to 4 years.
In my case, because I bought the bag when my oldest was 7yo, and the 2nd son is 4 years younger, I'm going to get about 8 years of use out of this bag. Not a bad deal especially given that I got it on sale for like $60.

A few other things to consider:
1. Given that a child's bag will only be usable for a few years, is it worth speeding the money for a kids bag today only to have to spend more money on an adult bag a few years from now?
2. Do you really want only a winter bag for year round use? Or do you want a smaller and lighter warm weather bag and a heavier winter bag.

All that said, one bag I would suggest that you consider is the Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 32º bag. It is a synthetic bag that weights less than 2lbs and stuffs down to 6x10.
That makes it lighter than the typical children's bags, and stuffs smaller than much more expensive down bags.
The list price is $255, but currently a 'Hot Deal' at Campmor.com for $190.
The bag is light enough as stuffs down small enough that it's not unreasonable to pack it for summer time use (though there is the smaller and lighter 45º model).
At the same time, the bag is warm enough for most 2-1/2 season use.

saltysack
09-15-2014, 15:12
The North Face Tigger (http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/tigger.html) is great... if you can find it.
It's specifications are pretty good: 20º and 2lbs (http://www.rei.com/item/746481/the-north-face-tigger-20-sleeping-bag-kids#specsTab) at < $100.
By comparison, it seems typical 'kids' bags today are 2.5lbs to 3lbs for a 25º or 30º bag for ~ or > $100.

Of course one thing to consider is that the bag will only be usable for about 3 to 4 years.
In my case, because I bought the bag when my oldest was 7yo, and the 2nd son is 4 years younger, I'm going to get about 8 years of use out of this bag. Not a bad deal especially given that I got it on sale for like $60.

A few other things to consider:
1. Given that a child's bag will only be usable for a few years, is it worth speeding the money for a kids bag today only to have to spend more money on an adult bag a few years from now?
2. Do you really want only a winter bag for year round use? Or do you want a smaller and lighter warm weather bag and a heavier winter bag.

All that said, one bag I would suggest that you consider is the Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 32º bag. It is a synthetic bag that weights less than 2lbs and stuffs down to 6x10.
That makes it lighter than the typical children's bags, and stuffs smaller than much more expensive down bags.
The list price is $255, but currently a 'Hot Deal' at Campmor.com for $190.
The bag is light enough as stuffs down small enough that it's not unreasonable to pack it for summer time use (though there is the smaller and lighter 45º model).
At the same time, the bag is warm enough for most 2-1/2 season use.

Thx...found 2 on eBay...lil Leary about buying used sleeping bags...if I can get under $45 prob buy

flemdawg1
09-15-2014, 15:17
Bought my kids 2 off another hiking board used for $100 for the pair 6years ago. Might have 2 more years before they outgrow them.

Feral Bill
09-15-2014, 15:34
For kids synthetic fill might pay. They can be tough on gear.

saltysack
09-18-2014, 21:52
Bought my kids 2 off another hiking board used for $100 for the pair 6years ago. Might have 2 more years before they outgrow them.

Let me know if u want to sell or run across anothwr

red5
09-19-2014, 09:45
Consider the 20* Marmot Sorcerer Jr that is sold by Sierra Trading Post. I believe it fits to 5'6. It is fairly cheap too.

saltysack
09-19-2014, 14:50
TNF Tigger

Missed out on the 2 blue ones on eBay... One on there now for $45 plus shipping... Red looks clean thoughts??